1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Starbound Mod Manager - Archive Thread

Discussion in 'Other' started by KrazyTheFox, Dec 8, 2013.

1. KrazyTheFox

KrazyTheFox Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The Starbound Mod Manager can now be found as an official upload to this site's mod section here: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/starbound-mod-manager.160/

The corresponding discussion thread can be found here: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/starbound-mod-manager.51639/

Thanks for all the support I've received so far, guys! It makes programming all of this more than worth it. More features are on their way soon and will be found in the new topic.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
    Apocro, ejh1990, PXLForce and 20 others like this.
  2. Affero

Affero Contributor

Oh damn I really like this one, might come in handy!

3. Cadz

Cadz Void-Bound Voyager

Looking forward to this. Good luck! Pretty appealing so far.

4. pacN

pacN Industrial Terraformer

How will we make mods for the mods manager so other people can install out mods with the manager ?

5. SethKipz

SethKipz Aquatic Astronaut

I assume the lowest assetSource in the bootstrap will be what is used if there are conflicts.

6. KrazyTheFox

Thanks! I should be able to release this in the next day or two. Maybe tonight if everything works, which is unlikely.

I've made it as easy as I could to make this work. The bare minimum required is to put all of your mod's assets into a .zip file:
    [​IMG]

You can include the mod.dat file if you want (the manager will use the file name if none is provided) with the following lines:
    [​IMG]

Since most mods are already distributed as .zip files, they should mostly be ready to install, and it's a very quick fix if they're not.

That's correct.

7. pacN

Looks very good but where does it read from?

Does it read from the starbound folder or the assets folder?
    I mean.

Should I do this:
    [​IMG]

Or this:
    [​IMG]

8. KrazyTheFox

The latter, currently, but I'm going to write in a check for both before I post it.

9. pacN

Great. I'm happy to see that. Then it will not matter in the end. Great!

10. RockyTV

RockyTV Big Damn Hero

Yesterday when Kawa told me about his/her mod Installer, I thought of making a program just like yours.
    Enough talking and playing, I need to work on that before someone else does!

11. Mortorojo

Mortorojo Void-Bound Voyager

Great Work!! This will be so helpful, now we just need a way to pack mods so numerous people can use the same mods on server.

12. Xuhybrid

Xuhybrid Scruffy Nerf-Herder

File merging. Does this mean if i include a player.config, it'll try to maintain the existing mods when adding new lines? How reliable is this? Is there a reliable way for modders to support this?

13. KrazyTheFox

I've got a bit of an idea as to how to do this, but I'll need to go through the file format with a fine tooth comb and come up with the rules they follow.

What it would do is check each mod against the base game's asset file and find out what they change in relation to the unchanged file. It'll then catalog all the changes that it finds, then will attempt to merge them into one file. This way, modders won't have to support anything. I'll be supporting them instead. All they have to do is package it up like a normal mod.

14. sjheiss

sjheiss Tentacle Wrangler

What makes this one "real" as opposed to the other 4 mod managers out here? And don't they all have GUIs too?

15. KrazyTheFox

Most of them don't. I've only seen one other that actually has a true GUI built in and that was posted after this was.

Edit:
    The Mod Manager is feature complete and almost ready to go. I need to put it through another round of bug testing before I upload it tomorrow just to make sure I didn't break something else while finishing it.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  16. Guide124

Guide124 Space Hobo

Great Work!!

17. DarkerCloud

DarkerCloud Big Damn Hero

Looking forward to this. Manually editing files just to install a mod is a pain in the ass.

18. XerX

XerX Void-Bound Voyager

Can't wait to see this finish! :D Installing mods can be really hard.

19. KrazyTheFox

And it's up! Go and try to break it for me. :p

20. SethKipz

SethKipz Aquatic Astronaut

jar doesn't appear to be bringing up any GUI when I execute it, though java does appear to be starting up in the background.

Using 64-bit win7.