Dev Blog Starbound on Xbox Update

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Katzeus, Jun 7, 2019.

1. spyroguy

spyroguy Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Will this optimization come to PC and include integrating the lighting engine with the game engine instead of running it separately on a game that can’t utilize multi core? I’ll gladly take less visually impressive lighting if it means I can run the game in frames per second instead of seconds per frame.

2. Saeryf

Saeryf Phantasmal Quasar

Man, STILL waiting on this coming to console. Just gimme it as a Game Preview build with the multiplayer not working for 4 players yet, T_T

Gawmonster and F224 like this.
  3. dragonfall17

dragonfall17 Space Hobo

starbound chuklefish's 2nd most succcesful project... what the heck are they working on

4. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

Optimization. That's what I last heard from them.

5. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

They are currently at work on their next game Witchbrook. In terms of Starbound, Moor is correct. Opitimasation is being done on the Xbox port so there is a content freeze for now so they can finish that.

6. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Heh, by the time they get done with that, the XB1 is going to be obsolete and they'll have to start all over again for the XBSX.

7. Daikon Ocelot

If that happens, I assume at least they have done with the optimization of Starbound. So, working on the XBSX is not as much work as when working with the XB1. Well, that's my guess.

8. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

The problem with consoles, is that at least up until this current generation, each console's OS is different, which means a re-coding even for different generations within the same console brand. This is why you can't stick, say, a Playstation 1, or 2 game into a Playstation 4. Some of these will have backwards compatibility, but those are usually emulated. The release model of the PS3 had hardware emulation for the PS2 but they changed that to software emulation which was a direct downgrade (which people were not happy about).

And even the PS2 was not fully compatible with the PS1; I owned at least 3 PS1 games that would not function properly on the PS2, despite it's 90%+ compatibility.

SO

When they code Starbound for XB1... they are going to have to re-code it all over again for the XBSX, or just give up and let the XBSX run it on emulation, which I think would be a big mistake.

This is one of the biggest reasons why I am firmly in the PC Master Race camp, this is why I hate PC games going to consoles. It creates a TREMENDOUS amount of overhead on the developers and nearly every single game that has done this, development slowed to a crawl speed because too much time and resources were blown trying to develop the game for consoles that will be obsolete in a couple years, then you need to re-do it for another console, blah blah blah.

Meanwhile, a Windows game is a Windows game is a Windows game. Games that were made during Windows95 can still run on Windows10 computers with a little updating to graphics engines or directX routine calls, and such, and some fan projects have done this, such as the Might and Magic games which run flawlessly on today's PCs even though they were made in the late 90s to early 00s.

Barring that, a WindowsXP computer for those old games is cheap and easy to put together (though a little costly in terms of space to house an extra computer just for this purpose) or you could look into Virtual PC and other such solutions.

EDIT: Also I would like to point out that old games support is actually against Sony and Microsoft's best interests, and the only reason they offer any at all, is to make some token attempt to appeal to people who have "somewhat" old games they might still want to play. They aren't selling you a console, they are selling you access to the latest games. Sony and MS are selling you a console that is barely profit, if it is profit at all, so that the buyers will then buy the games and the online access fees which is where they really make their money.

This is why both Sony and MS are big on Console Exclusive titles, which is why they hype said titles to the High Heavens. So spending extra money and resources on making old games available, especially ones that are not exclusives is rather low on their list of priorities.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
  9. Daikon Ocelot

Well, you have some good points there. Now I wonder, why don't they just focus on their PC platform, while letting the other platform worked by the others? Just like Terraria did. I mean, I know the XB1 porting is currently being worked by BlitWorks, but why should they wait for them?

10. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

It seems to me that CF is far less successful than Re-Logic is, and perhaps CF just doesn't have the resources to pay a more robust studio to do the XB1 port?

I mean this has been going on for a very long time, that leads me to believe that whoever Blitworks is (I never heard of them) is some small company and they just aren't able to handle the workload in any reasonable amount of time? That, or Starbound's coding is just so jank that it is taking them forever to slowly unravel layers and layers of spaghetti code.

I've spoken with enough modders who have in-depth knowledge of the engine and how it works to get an idea that the game is... rather messily coded. This could be disastrous for attempts to port it to a console.

11. Luna the Traveller Σ

Luna the Traveller Σ Void-Bound Voyager

I'd assume that plans have changed and Starbound is going on the next-gen consoles instead?

12. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

With how long this is taking?

I kinda doubt it.

This is why I was against it from day one, I predicted that it wouldn't release before next gen came out and they'd have to instead shift resources into porting it for the next gen, too. This is assuming that development is actually occurring and the project just isn't sitting dead and silent.

13. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

The game is not dead. Chucklefish is still working to bring it to players on console. They themselves are not handling the port as that is being done by Blitworks. I know it's the same old line but just be patient. It'll come when it's ready.

14. Daikon Ocelot

I found this while surfing on YouTube, I am not sure if I should be happy about this, or maybe this is just another long wait.

Edit: I can't see the YouTube video I am trying to link. You guys see it?

15. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

The game is already on the MS Store so it adding it to the Game Pass is not that much of a trouble since the pass "only" provides "free" access to the game itself and also applies to Win 10 and not only xbox (as long as the games are available for PC).

On a sidenote: As it has been mentioned multiple times, the console port is handled by an external company and therefor there is not much to do than wait. :)

16. Daikon Ocelot

Oh, it explains a lot then, the hype was not need it. :zzz:

17. ShannonPikaPika

ShannonPikaPika Space Hobo

Any updates on this? I would love to play on my Xbox series s :)

18. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

The update is that there is no update. It's being worked on and that's the most that can be said. Chucklefish doesn't want to make any estimations because another lockdown could hit or something might go wrong and push it back even further. Sit tight. It'll come when it's ready.

FrozenFlame and ShannonPikaPika like this.
  19. EliasCap

EliasCap Space Hobo

Still not here and no updates :(

20. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

Quoting from Discord