Dev Blog Starbound on Xbox Update

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Katzeus, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Belmod7

Belmod7 Void-Bound Voyager

I had wondered what happened to the Xbox version of this game. I least this gives some hope that this game might get more content or at least gamepad support. Thought I always wondered why nobody thought of porting this to Switch? Seems like a perfect fit (If they can get it to run).

2. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

The way I see it, that entirely hinges on Blitworks actually finishing the Xbox port, and then it selling enough for CF to afford a new team to update both it and the PC version. At this rate, there's no way we'll get a Switch version, not from how I'm seeing it.

3. Belmod7

Belmod7 Void-Bound Voyager

Yeah I guess something like that is just wishful thinking. Its sad really this game feels like it has huge potential.

4. RiskyX

RiskyX Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I hope we get good news on the games progress soon. After years of no updates I've lost hope. Chucklefish has released many games over the years, which is great and all, but I still think starbound deserves some love too.

Ashtar084 and tigerfestival like this.
  5. Ashtar084

Ashtar084 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

amazing news, they are working to optimize the beloved and unforgettable Starbound, pure bliss.

Starbound deserves all the attention equals terraria.
    Starbound is the best game ever.

Are you working on a new update?
    nostalgia bro

tigerfestival and Kawa like this.
  6. ChaseAce

ChaseAce Big Damn Hero

At this point I don't even care about the xbox port I just want the offical xbox controller support to be implemented into the base PC game. I've tried a controller mod and steam mapping and it all seems more or less like duct tape for the problem that this game could really use a controller supported UI for steamdeck users and people like me who play pc on a couch away from KB+M. Thats all i want. Official in game controller support like terraria has. Even if the port never gets finished. We're already on the Xbox Series X now i understand if it's stuck in development hell. But still, can we please take some of the xbox controller support ideas and put them into the pc version?

Kawa likes this.
  7. Dipolarthrone

Dipolarthrone Void-Bound Voyager

Is there still any work being done on this or plans for it to be completed

8. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

Once again: it is being worked on by Blitworks. They have essentially had to remake the entire game. Nothing new will happen with the PC version until the port is finished. Once it is, however, there's a chance for optimisation based on the port. Also, Chucklefish has indicated they will be performing bug fixes for Starbond once out of the feature freeze. Again, based on how the port goes. Finally, if the port sells well then Chucklefish might hire new staff to work on Starbound and give it updates. There is currently no one working on Starbound as they are working on their new game Witchbrook.

9. viperfan7

viperfan7 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Happen to know if there's any chance we can get something more than just "It's being worked on"

I know you likely don't have access to that information, but just a "Hey, this is how far along it is" from someone would help get hope up quite a bit.

Since quite frankly, the feature freeze has gone on long enough, I get needing to remake the entire game, but porting code over doesn't take that long, since instead of creating something new, you're instead just getting existing functionality into a different format. and it doesn't have to result in a complete feature freeze.

At this point, quite frankly, it feels like Bitworks is just sitting on it going "Lol we're not going to put anyone to work on this, and just keep taking money"

10. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

Well, it's not true that they just have to get things in a different format. The code for Starbound is/was very poorly written spaghetti code. So they are literally redoing all of it along with optimising it. A feature freeze is necessary because if they add more to Starbound then the port will take even longer to finish. In terms of updates there's really nothing to update us on. Since it's primarily the code that's being redone it wouldn't be understood or even appreciated by a lot of people to show progress on the code itself. Lots of behind the scenes stuff is going on for the port but it's not like they're adding new art or something to show us. I wish I could give you more but, like you said, I don't work for Chucklefish so I don't know specifics.

viperfan7 likes this.
  11. viperfan7

Ok yeah that's fair, that's gonna be a bitch to untangle

I wouldn't call that entirely true, and honestly, this isn't a feature freeze, it's an everything freeze, someone mentioned earlier adding controller support, that could be done without affecting the port at all since the port will have to A) add it in anyways, and :cool: wouldn't likely be able to use the code for the PC version for input anyways

Now that's just untrue, and yeah, I know you don't work for them, you just be a mod here, you have no real knowledge of what's going on in the background.

But any update to just say "Hey, we're still going at it" and maybe something like "We're like 20% done this bit, 30% done that bit, it's coming along nicely" would help immensely, like I said, at this point it just feels like Bitworks has their thumbs up their asses

Pangaea and tigerfestival like this.
  12. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

I guess they should say "content" freeze because you're right; they probably could add controller support as a feature.

I agree that some kind of update would be nice, even if it was just a, "We're still working on it". But with code it's hard to gauge just how far along something is because changing one bit might affect things elsewhere in an unintended way. So say, sure, 20% done but then they work on it more and something happens and that bit is not 20% but like 15% finished now.

13. viperfan7

Yeah this is true, tons of people don't get that sometimes when programming, things have to go backwards to go forwards.

Pangaea likes this.
  14. AntiProduct

AntiProduct Tentacle Wrangler

Yesterday's gaming news proves this port will never happen.

The XBox One has been discontinued and no further software will be developed.

tigerfestival likes this.
  15. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

Last edited: Jun 21, 2023
    Sock_Bunny and double1squad like this.
  16. DarthTrethon

DarthTrethon Spaceman Spiff

Wow, ok...so Starbound got a new PEGI rating in April 2023. It's been really quiet for years from the devs but I mean that has got to mean they are working on releasing the game at least for Series S/X if not on PS5 as well because PEGI ratings don't happen by themselves out of thin air without someone submitting a build, right? That most likely means they are pending ESRB and other rating boards approval. Given how long it's been since the game last had any content update I wonder if this release would come with anything new. Still. it's nice to see a sign of life from this game and to know it hasn't been abandoned.

17. Supernovakid1

Supernovakid1 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I just hope eventually some day we can see starbound run as well on lower end computers as something like terraria does... actually making good use of cpu and gpu? maybe there will be a time that we see it..

that would really make the game more accessible, especially modded

18. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

Blitworks is optimising Starbound. We hope the optimisations will come to PC too because they should help with that.

Armok and Sock_Bunny like this.
  19. AntiProduct

AntiProduct Tentacle Wrangler

I try to be patient. I really do. They've been teasing this 'port' for 5 years. Chucklefish has made several other games, (and soon a sequel) AND have had their console ports completed, during the time Starbound has been cooking.

The Blitworks page still has the XBox-One listed as the console, and that was discontinued in June.

STARS forbid they fix the memory leak, and/or get the code to run properly on more than one CPU core.

20. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

I can agree it feels bad as things currently are. However, no one at Chucklefish is currently working on Starbound because they're working on their next game. Almost everyone who originally worked on Starbound is now gone from Chucklefish. So it's not exactly as simple as 'just fix it'.