1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Starbound Source Code

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Boneguy, Jun 19, 2023.

1. Boneguy

Boneguy Big Damn Hero

Hey Guys,

Sorry if this is a weird or incorrect place to be sending this message, but earlier I saw what I believe to be Starbound's source code being shared online. I tried contacting one of your moderators here on the Chucklefish forums "Iris Blanche" I think, but was continually being rejected by some 'spam detection' tool(s) you have in place. I also tried emailing Chucklefish (at "business@chucklefish.org") and sending a message through Steam, but was unable to make contact.

I noticed earlier than it appears that someone may be sharing the source code for one your games: "Starbound" on June 18, 2023 online, on a number of different websites/services. Nnot sure if this is deliberate action by your team, but just on the off-chance it is malicious, figured I'd reach out. I hope you find this information useful, and sorry again if this was an improper channel to be sending this info through.

Below are the relevant URL's I mentioned. If you need more info, feel free and contact me at the email provided to this account.

https://rose.dev/blog/2023/05/27/starbound-1-4-4-source-code-access/

https://boards.4chan.org/t/thread/1237684

2. Boneguy

Boneguy Big Damn Hero

Unfortunately looks like the IRC channels #starbound and #Starbounder are ghost towns too.

3. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

That's odd that you weren't able to contact me o:

Tagging @Katzeus for that one.

4. Boneguy

Boneguy Big Damn Hero

Hi Iris, I tried clicking on your profile, and selecting "Start a Conversation". I'm not sure if it was something I said in my message, or a string in one of the URL's. Glad to be in touch. Sorry I wasn't able to make contact sooner, but both IRC channels seem down, and no contact from Discord either.

5. Iris Blanche

No worries, I've been aware of the code being on the internet for around 3 weeks already and informed Katzeus about it when I noticed. I also notified him directly via discord about this topic. :)

6. Boneguy

Boneguy Big Damn Hero

Just so you are aware: it appears not only was the Source Code for "Starbound" was leaked, but also API Keys for "Starbound" on both "Steam" and "GOG". There are discussions appearing online, where individuals mention possibly using these keys to 'publish' their own update to Starbound on these official platforms, either with a "patch", "malware/virus", or other content to official branches of the game. I'm not sure how valid these threats are, but thought it was worth mentioning.

7. Iris Blanche

Thanks, I forwarded that as well.