Stardew on Mac via Wineskins: How to update? Save-game retained in Mac port release?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Obilie, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Obilie

Obilie Intergalactic Tourist

Dear Stardew Valley Forumers <3 ,

I am currently playing the game via the Wineskins thingie on Mac - I just followed the procedure (I love you guys who made this possible <3) and it worked, the only thing being that I bought the game at GOG and did not have meddle with the infamous Steam DRM player.

I have 2 questions:

1.) If any updates are released (prior to releasing the Mac version), how am I going to install them, please? I own the game as DRM-free, and even though my GOG galaxy client (an optional equivalent of the Steam App that automatically updates and catalogues my games) updates the game, I cannot download it through GOG Galaxy and it has no idea I am actually playing the game since I manually downloaded it like any customer would, directly from GOG after the purchase, owning the copy DRM-free. Then I did the Wineskin wrapper magic and voila, it works. But what about updates?
    2.) I am contemplating about waiting for the Mac release since I worry I'll have to start a fresh new game upon release, or is there a way how to sync my progress into the yet-to-come Mac game and abandon my Wineskin-Windows-Magic game file?

T H A N K Y O U in advance :)

PS: I am in summer day 1 and completely screwed it having built a coop and hence having no money as it sucks everything of off me. A fresh new start would be a good idea, right?

Obilie
    :fishbowl:

• Bonabopn

Bonabopn Fluffiest Squirrel

They will probably replace the download link for the older version with a download link to the newer version, so you'll have to redownload it. Check the version number to see which you're downloading and make sure it's the latest. c:

• Obilie

Hey @Bonabopn thank you for your reply!

But I am unsure how to install it successfully - I will download the new version and then what? Repeat the process with wineskins? Delete this game? How to retain the save file?

• ssokolow

ssokolow Cosmic Narwhal

1. Like Steam, GOG Galaxy isn't smart enough to see through Wine wrappers. You'd have to install the Windows version of Galaxy inside your Wineskin to make that work and I don't think Wine supports that yet.
          2. 99% of the time, copying from one platform to another is as simple as copying the Windows save file into the place the Linux/Mac version expects to find it, but that's not guaranteed.
            For example, I can't remember which is Windows and which is Linux, but Megabyte Punch stores the save data as its own file on one platform and within the Unity config file on another.
          3. To update the game without Galaxy:
            1. Wait for GOG to announce that the new non-Galaxy installer has passed QA and is ready for download (I follow the "what did just update?" thread since the site notifications can occasionally bug out)
            2. Download it, just as you did when you installed initially
            3. Use whatever mechanism Wineskin provides to run it within your existing Wineskin (I use PlayOnLinux/PlayOnMac for SDV and it has a "run a .exe in this virtual drive" button in the configuration options)
            4. The GOG installer will update the existing install.

If you can't figure out how to run a new .exe in an existing Wineskin and want to redo the whole process from scratch, just copy drive_c/users/USERNAME/Application Data/StardewValley/ from the old Wineskin wrapper to the new one. That's where your saves and settings are stored.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
            Obilie likes this.
          • Obilie

@ssokolow Thank you very much for your kind help!

I am unsure how to do it though, I have actually no idea how I made the game run in the first place and now I just click on the Stardew Valley App icon and wait for a kind while and then it starts - I do not see anything else, like I used to when I for example ran things via PlayOnMac.
            So I have actually no idea where how is the Wineskin app related to my Stardew Valley app and its package contents.

Hence I am waiting for the Mac release and thinking of starting a new game which is a shame but I am a complete newbie to this wineskin meddling and though I learn fast, atm I have no idea what I actually did and how and how it works, how come that thing now just runs, how come wineskin does not run with it etc.

:(

• ssokolow

ssokolow Cosmic Narwhal

Judging by the Wineskin manual, you should be able to drag the new GOG installer onto your Stardew Valley app and choose to "Open With" as a way to run the GOG installer inside the Wineskin wrapper.

(Of course, just to play it safe, make a backup copy of the Stardew Valley app first.)

Obilie likes this.
              • Obilie

@ssokolow Will try, thank you! This should make it auto-update?
                And what about when the Mac version is released, what do I do, please?

• NikkSword

NikkSword Pangalactic Porcupine

A fresh start is always welcome!

• Obilie

• ssokolow

ssokolow Cosmic Narwhal

It won't be "auto-update", since you'll still have to manually download the new GOG installers as they come out, but the new GOG installer should just update your existing install when you run it that way.

As for when the Mac version is released:
                    1. Run the Mac version once to create the folder for save files
                    2. Figure out where that folder is (we won't know where the Mac version puts them until the Mac version actually exists)
                    3. Right-click your Stardew Valley launcher and choose "Show Package Contents"
                    4. Copy the files from drive_c/users/USERNAME/Application Data/StardewValley/Saves to wherever the Mac version expects to find them

• Obilie

@ssokolow <3 thank you very much! we will see. So there is no need to postpone playing, right? I can play and not worry about my saves :)

• ssokolow

ssokolow Cosmic Narwhal

I can't make any guarantees, but I've personally only ever encountered one game where I couldn't just copy the Windows saves into the newly-released Linux version and continue where I left off. (The aforementioned Megabyte Punch)

Given that CA is writing his own engine rather than just relying on whatever save facility someone else's engine was already offering, it'd be extra work for no gain to use different formats on different platforms.

• Obilie

THANK YOU SO MUCH!