1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Bug/Issue Stardew Valley crashes on startup

Discussion in 'Support' started by ThatWhiteDude, May 16, 2018.

1. ThatWhiteDude

ThatWhiteDude Space Hobo

Okay so i've been having this issue for a few days now. It came out of nowhere and prior to this the game worked fine. Every time i launch the game the game crashes. This happens with and without mods. The only way i have noticed i've been able to fix this is by reinstalling the Microsoft XNA files, then restarting my PC and only then it will work for the first launch of the game and after that if i want to play again i have to repeat those steps. I have the error code provided by SMAPI, not sure how to get one from the base game but note that both have exactly the same behavior on startup. Any help would be appreciated.

[SMAPI] The game failed unexpectedly: System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.GraphicsDevice.Present(tagRECT* pSource, tagRECT* pDest, HWND__* hOverride)
    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GraphicsDeviceManager.Microsoft.Xna.Framework.IGraphicsDeviceManager.EndDraw()
    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.EndDraw()
    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.DrawFrame()
    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Tick()
    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.HostIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GameHost.OnIdle()
    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.RunOneFrame()
    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.ApplicationIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponent.FDoIdle(Int32 grfidlef)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)
    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.Run()
    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.RunGame(Boolean useBlockingRun)
    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Run()
    at StardewModdingAPI.Program.RunInteractively() in C:\source\_Stardew\SMAPI\src\SMAPI\Program.cs:line 285