1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Bug/Issue Stardew Valley: Lost Child

Discussion in 'Support' started by Vince Valentine, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Vince Valentine

Vince Valentine Orbital Explorer

I married Haley in the early Fall of Year 1 & have reached 13/12 relationship status. After weeks of giving her coconuts, I was finally given the prompt to have a baby. Towards the end of the Fall, (the 23rd or 24th) I was given the notification when I went to sleep, Haley gave birth to a baby girl & I was given the chance to name her. However, it was after I had passed out (after 2:00 a.m.) and automatically put to sleep, also having leveled up my combat the previous day, I was given the notification of a rank up. I must of been clicking too quick or something because before even naming my child, my rank up popped up and the child prompt was lost. I went to check the crib upstairs and no baby girl, no nothing. It's Winter Day 3, Year 1 & I haven't been given the opportunity to have another child. Keep in mind, this is my first child, so all in all what I'm asking is, is that 1 child lost? Can I still have 2 kids, or is this 1 lost child technically saved into my household? What can I do to fix this? Any help is appreciated.

• Met

Met Void-Bound Voyager

I'm having the exact same issue.

• Morichinatsu

Morichinatsu Space Spelunker

I have not had any kids yet (nor even married because I've been to busy making an insane farm to worry about getting the pendant) but I would assume that there would be information about your child in your save files. Since I don't know what you'd be looking for, I'm afraid I can't give you any ideas more than that.
        Best of luck and a little bump so maybe someone who knows will spot this!

• ericyang158

ericyang158 Space Hobo

Having same issue here as well.

• Met

Met Void-Bound Voyager

Save file is a huge file to go through. Searching for terms like "Child" or "Pregnancy" failed to yield results.

• Loverlie

Loverlie Space Hobo

I created an account just to comment on this thread. The same thing has just happened to me. :( Goodbye to my baby boy...

• Morichinatsu

Could one of you upload your save files and post them here? I could try to take a look when I get home in about seven hours.

• Met

Met Void-Bound Voyager

Uploaded file.

Attached Files:

• Morichinatsu

After looking through it all, a quick fix might be to find the string in there that says "<daysUntilBirthing>-1</daysUntilBirthing>" and change the -1 to maybe a 1 or 2? I would make a backup of your save though! (Ehhh also make sure it's under your wife's name... or else the other NPCs might end up having kids too... like the Wizard....)
                    I looked for anything that might give information about the child itself in case the lost child is still in the files and counting towards one of your three, but I'm thinking that since you never got to complete the naming of the child, it never actually produced the baby, just marked it that she had had it, so changing that should hopefully make it so that you'll get the name prompt again in a few days. Hope it helps!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
                    • Timidx3

Timidx3 Big Damn Hero

I downloaded your save file and compared it to mine,
                      as I have a child. And the word child is not mentioned
                      in your file, there is no Child type npc in your relationship
                      list, I can't find a mention of your child at all.

Under the location of your farm where it shows characters,
                      it lists my wife and my child, yours only lists Maru.
                      I think it's safe to say that the lost child does not count
                      towards your maximum number of children.

• Met

Met Void-Bound Voyager

I think Morichinatsu probably hit it. I'm going to change that variable and get back to you.

• Met

Met Void-Bound Voyager

<daysUntilBirthing>-1</daysUntilBirthing><daysAfterLastBirth>-1</daysAfterLastBirth><birthday_Day>0</birthday_Day>

Okay, I changed that first variable to 1. Nothing happened after a day and it changed to -1. Perhaps there's some sort of combination of these I can change to make it happen. I'm going to experiment with it.

• kreekgod

kreekgod Phantasmal Quasar

i found when i experimented with changeing those, that my wife actually disappeared for a day or 2

at this point my experiments are at a standstill untill i can see a save with someone whos got a pregnant wife, but hasnt had a child yet

• Morichinatsu

I'm wondering if perhaps you need to set the days to 14 since that's what it is when she gets pregnant, but I'm not sure if you really want to play through 14 whole days just to see if it actually worked.

• theangelatte

theangelatte Space Hobo

I made an account to comment on this too. Same thing happened with me. Can anyone confirm if you can still have a child after this happens? I'll be really sad if not ;-;

• arcosanti

arcosanti Void-Bound Voyager

I'm in the same boat as y'all - same experience as Vince Valentine: either I accidentally clicked through or hit escape when asked for the name of my first child, and the baby never arrived. Some time has passed and the spouse asked if we should have a another baby, and after more than 14 days, no birth and no option to name a child. So it appears that this bug prevents any children from ever showing up. :nurusad:

Does anyone have a save file with a spouse at 13/12 but not pregnant? I'd like to compare the XML and see if I can find anything...

• khenjiyu

khenjiyu Space Hobo

same thing happened to me and I don't have the motivation to play that much until there's a fix -.- was wondering if it was possible to go back a day or two through save file editing so I can experience the baby being born without passing out the previous night, was so unlucky because I realized I didn't water my plants in the greenhouse, went in did all of it and passed out, should've just skipped the greenhouse and slept properly but oh well, hopefully we can find a fix to this as soon as we can

• Stone Cold Jane Austen

Stone Cold Jane Austen Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I've had a similar problem:
                                      I alt-tabbed out of the name prompt while trying to think of a name, came back and was unable to type or click anything, had to kill the task. On reloading it's the morning before, but no baby ever arrives, even after another week.

Edit: never mind, was caused by a mod. Apologies.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
                                      • arcosanti

arcosanti Void-Bound Voyager

An update from current play - apparently I was unlucky enough to run afoul of the 'failing to name your baby means no baby' bug the first opportunity and the 'baby born on a holiday means no baby' bug also mentioned in this forum the second time around. On the third time that my spouse asked if we should have children, a baby finally arrived on the appointed day. On the bright side, the ability to raise a family does not appear to be lost - but it may mean waiting longer than anticipated based on these two bugs.

• Stone Cold Jane Austen

Stone Cold Jane Austen Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Oh, it's not permanent? In that case I can live with it. Thanks for the update!