Stardew Valley ruined Harvest Moon for me.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Moira, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Evangelion

Evangelion Supernova

I really loved RF2 for the DS. Haven't played the 1sts or 3rd one though.

I accidentally set my game difficulty for hard in 4 though, so I'm getting mauled by pixies...

• Xeno Aura

Xeno Aura Void-Bound Voyager

I still enjoy HM games, I'll see what SV brings to the table when it comes out. :)

Currently playing through Magical Melody (GC version) on my Wii and Grand Bazaar on my 3DS.

Thinking I'll get the next HM that's coming next year. I usually buy one every 3 releases. Or about every 4 years.

Rune Factory is cool, but I always found myself just poking stuff instead of farming, and I mainly enjoy the farming part of HM, so I prefer HM over RF. RF1 was still an amazing game for the DS though.

• GravityFlux

GravityFlux Guest

What.
        Wait, WHY AM I ON THE STARDEW VALLEY FORUMS IN THE FIRST PLACE?

• Sasha Nekosune

Sasha Nekosune Void-Bound Voyager

personally. the only harvest moon i have ever really played was AWL. i recently got AWL special ED on the ps2. personally i wish there was a preorder for this game like the others.

• Degraine

Degraine Subatomic Cosmonaut

Annoyingly, RF4 is not available here in Australia yet. It doesn't even have a release date.

• Evangelion

Evangelion Supernova

Annoyingly, such is the fate of regions. Perhaps one day they'll remove locks.

• Sylvire

Sylvire Void-Bound Voyager

Isn't Australia in Pal region. European version should work if you can get your hands on one.

• Lumina

Lumina Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Because the Harvest Moon fan base is one of the major player bases this game is going to appeal towards.

Personally wish AWL Special Edition didn't run so poorly. PS2 version is a port with some added features, but it REALLY runs slow at times on the PS2. I heard the emulated version on the PS3 isn't much better performance wise. I even tried popping my disk on my PC using a PS2 emulator doesn't help either. *Sniffles* Impossible to play AWL SE without running into slow downs in short very BAD slow downs at that. To me it made the game almost unplayable after a few years in game as my farm grew, it made already one of the slowest gameplay wise Harvest Moon games feel insanely slower.

• ShinyPants

ShinyPants Void-Bound Voyager

It's not out in Eurrope either, I believe :(

• Evangelion

Evangelion Supernova

Apparently Europe is getting it in the first quarter of 2014.

• ShinyPants

ShinyPants Void-Bound Voyager

Yeah, quite a while to wait yet >.<

Evangelion likes this.
                        • Degraine

I didn't want to say this before I'd confirmed it. Yes, we can import from Europe, it appears. Old distribution habits may be stupid, but they're not as stupid as region locks, and I'll take whatever I can get, honestly.

• Sylvire

Look at the bright side. Considering what I have heard of Australia game prices, it might be cheaper to import stuff. :)

• Degraine

Hah, we're not quite so badly off price-wise. But if I don't buy a mainstream-produced game when it first comes out on Steam, I always wait until a sale.

• Wasselin

Wasselin Pangalactic Porcupine

TBH, Harvest Moon ruined Harvest Moon for me. I just get so tired of the clunky controls. Does it really need to be so difficult to get something out of your rucksack? Do we really need so many menus in a farming sim? It also annoys me that each iteration of Harvest Moon introduces a cool new feature, but also gets rid of a cool feature from past games.

But I feel you OP, the idea of Stardew Valley really kills Harvest Moon for me. If anything I think it will be a ton more enjoyable to play a farming sim with a mouse and keyboard instead of a controller.

• oath2order

oath2order Parsec Taste Tester

Their controls are clunky, some stuff is just ridiculously difficult to obtain, and the simple fact that it's a dating sim now.

• Sylvire

Yeah. Harvest Moon has so many good ideas but sadly all those bad ones spoil the experience. Island of Happiness got that nice changing surroundings the more you progressed (and Witch Princess) but horrible controls. Grand Bazaar had nice item crafting system and bazaar was good idea, pity really that game revolved around it, making it chore. Also, to this day...I just can't imagine how it is possible to screw controls so much. Ffs, atleast put in tool circle system for fast choice. There has been working circle systems since Super Nes times.

• oath2order

oath2order Parsec Taste Tester

I just wish that they'd get their game straight. I mean, stop taking out the good features!

Also I mean there was the now-infamous month long tutorial in ANB.

• Dust

Dust Giant Laser Beams

I havent read the whole thread so I'm not sure if this has already been said,: how can a game that is not yet finished, and not available to play yet ruin a game that is finished and you can play?

• Witness

Witness Giant Laser Beams

I assume it's not game per se but some of the features, trailers etc of Stardew Valley making people believe that said SV will be far better than what one can currently expect of Harvest Moon. I personally do put some hopes in the game and plan to purchase it once available - especially if it will improve aspects of gameplay HM/RF games were lacking in, but I can still see how those other products are decent in their own right and I don't think I can be spoiled so much that I'd say Harvest Moon series is completely ruined for me.