Stardew Valley Theories

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dwarfus, May 30, 2017.

1. Dwarfus

Dwarfus Big Damn Hero

Have any theories you'd like to share about the world of Stardew Valley? I know I do! Feel free to share them here, no matter how nonsensical and off-the-wall they may be! I'm gonna start with some thoughts on Sebastian. I have a tumblr post on it here if anyone with a tumblr wants to reblog.

I got to thinking about Sebastian and what his biological father is like, who he is, and if he’s still even in the picture at all. Nobody in the game ever talks about it. And then I got to thinking… It’s a popular headcanon that Sebastian’s hair isn’t naturally black and that he dyes it, but what if that really is his natural hair color? What if Sebastian doesn’t know who his father is because Robin hardly ever talks about him and is extremely vague at best when she does? What if Sebastian’s biological father isn’t even human?

What if Sebastian is actually half Void Spirit, AKA Shadow Person?

First off, let’s take a look at Sebastian’s favorite gifts. These include sashimi, frozen tears, obsidian, pumpkin soup, and void eggs. We’re going to take a look at Krobus for comparison. I’m not jumping the gun by saying that Krobus is actually Sebastian’s father. He’s just the only Shadow Person we can look at for this. Two of Krobus’ favorite gifts are pumpkins and void eggs, which he says are a great honor to receive as gifts, and he sells fish which can be made into sashimi. And obsidian is found by breaking open magma geodes which are found at level 80+ in the mines. This is also where Shadow People live.

Sebastian’s apparent interest in the mines is also worth noting, I think. It’s implied that he likes to go into the mines with one line of dialogue that tells you that he got cut by a rock crab in the mines and not to tell his mom. He also has a tendency to gift you loot from the mines if you marry him. This loot can include an amethyst, a piece of obsidian, a frozen tear, a bat wing, and void essence. Guess where you find Shadow People? And guess who drops void essence? Shadow People. He also seems to like slimes, and suggests that you raise more after you marry him, and if you have a slime hutch. Krobus sells slime.

And there’s also Sebastian’s schedule. For the most part, he seems to stay up all night, sleep in, and not leave the house until later in the day. The only days he leaves his house earlier are days when it’s raining. Krobus says that he cannot go in the sun, and that he likes the moisture in the sewers.

At first I thought this idea was nonsense, but the more I got to thinking about it, the more I actually wanted it to be true. Another theory I have revolves around who I think Mona (buried in the graveyard) might have been. Again, I also have this one in tumblr post form. Basically:

I believe that Mona was M. Jasper.

This M. Jasper wrote three of the lost books: A Study on Diamond Yields, Goblins, and Mysteries of the Dwarves. Never once in these books does it specify that M. Jasper is a man, and Mona’s name does start with an M. What leads me to believe that Mona is M. Jasper is the tombstone located right next to hers in the graveyard with the Dwarvish engraving with the instructions pertaining to the galaxy sword.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
      sunlite likes this.
    • Stryder87

Stryder87 Giant Laser Beams

Wow... just... wow.... that's some seriously impressive reasoning! I know I've certainly wondered about that gravestone, but I never made a connection with the books. I think the only thing I had read was that Sebastian may have been the Wizards son, like Abigail is suspected to be.

Very nice.

sunlite likes this.
      • Jack Of Shades

Jack Of Shades Pangalactic Porcupine

My thoughts on Linus:
        I like to think he was once a very wealthy man with a family. But the wealth and power turned him vicious and mean. So he gives up his massive wealth after losing his family. Only so he can become more humble and allow love to seep back into his heart. A void in his heart in which money never filled. His life style drastically changed his out look on life. And, as his first selfless act, gave his family freedom from his tyranical behavior and selfish pursuits of grandeur and power. Although they missed him, he truly loved them and could not allow his old self to return. Therefore he never sees them and only rarely asks M. Rasmodius to allow him a glimpse (using magic) to see how they are.. From afar.

sunlite and Surenu like this.
        • Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

Could he maybe be Pennys father or at least a relative? I always wondered where Pennys father was. It's not like it's easy to just disappear in such a small community. Pam and Linus are, to my knowledge (I can be wrong though, my memory is not what it used to be) never seen interacting and never heard speaking of each other. Maybe there's a deeper reason for that?

sunlite likes this.
          • AureusWolf

AureusWolf Subatomic Cosmonaut

I always figured Pam and Penny's father were divorced, probably because of pam's heavy drinking, or perhaps the divorce led her to become an alcoholic. I've also considered he could be deceased and again, leading Pam on into depression and numbing the pain with alcohol.

Also noting your theory about Linus, allot of people suspect he was once a wealthy powerful man who gave it all up to be closer to nature and there have been sprites found of him in very fancy looking clothes which just supports the theory further.

Surenu likes this.
            • Jack Of Shades

That's been my theory since I first met him on the game. His personality sort of gave it away for me. Ever since then I've been spouting my theory on here. Lol but that's pretty neat if there is a little sprite of him in a wealthy outfit.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

From Penny's own dialogue in the game, regarding her father:

"When I was a little girl, my father abandoned us because he said he felt 'trapped'. We haven't seen him since.$s#$b#I'm sorry to make things uncomfortable for you... It's just that this time of year makes me think of it for some reason."

Penny's father walked out on them-- whether that was caused by, or the cause of, Pam's drinking problem is left to the player's imagination.

• AureusWolf

I'm not a huge fan of Penny so I've never really become good friends with her. I guess I missed out on that dialog.

• AureusWolf

• Jack Of Shades

Leaaa likes this.
                  • Nicooriia

Nicooriia Space Hobo

I knew I wasn't the only one who thought Seb might be part shadow person. He's the only human who remotely likes void essence and void eggs. You'd think it's just an interest in the occult, but Abigail is the one character who is interested in occult things and even she isn't a fan of void items if I remember correctly.

Also, I don't think Abigail is the Wizard's daughter, I think it's Emily. She's the only one we know has some form of power, even if it's just subconsciously, but she is attuned to some form of magic or spiritualism, and I think her hair color is canon and not dyed, but I'm not sure. A good "evidence" of her having a better connection to spiritualism or magic is the cutscene after completing Emily's special request (where you deliver the gemstones) Abigail doesn't even pretend to feel a connection with the stones, but in other cutscenes shows a bigger interest for adventuring. I might be way off the mark, but I like this headcanon a bit xD