1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Starloader - mod manager/loader for Starbound

Discussion in 'Other' started by Dragory, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Dragory

Dragory Void-Bound Voyager

I had one before, but apparently it didn't work. I should be able to debug on a mac very soon so an OS X release shouldn't be far away!

2. Conir

Conir Void-Bound Voyager

awesome, thanks! will be watching this thread

3. Xuhybrid

Xuhybrid Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I was yes.

Just to report back my experience btw. Its definitely not modifying the player.config. Is it only merging one direction? What if the player.config has new entries from a patch and the mod uses an old player.config? I noticed the _merged folder, i checked out the defaultBlueprints in there but even that doesn't have the appropriate changes. What is the purpose of having player.config separate, and then included via the bootstrap?

4. Dragory

Mods' player.configs should only include what they add or modify, not the whole file (see example at the bottom of this post). That way the program can use the original file (Starbound/assets/player.config) as the base, regardless of game version, and merge each mod on top of that. This merged file is then loaded last, effectively overriding the default one. The benefit is that this way I can keep the original files intact.

However, the merged file should definitely have the entries from the mods. Can you paste the player.config of the mod that's not working and what the result (in _merged) looks like?

5. Xuhybrid

Xuhybrid Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I include the whole file to support people not using mod loaders. Otherwise, why not just have a player.json where we can support your designated format. It shouldn't be difficult to merge the arrays together.

6. axellslade

axellslade Void-Bound Voyager

The edited bootstrap.config seems to be putting "../assets", after the mods and before "../_merged"
    Shouldn't assets come before the mods? That's what I read everywhere in the forums. Does that order matter?

7. CrownFox

CrownFox Subatomic Cosmonaut

No, the "merged" files only contain the relevant information, not the entire file. The Starloader software adds whatever is in the mod's player.config to the main player.config, and overwrites fields where necessary, then outputs the _merged/player.config file.

Adding the list of necessary merges to the mod.json file eliminates the need for the end user to add the files to the list that Starloader uses to choose what files to merge and what files to overwrite. If the user doesn't explicitly tell Starloader that they want mod/racemod/species/floran.species to be merged with the assets/species/floran.species file, Starloader will just overwrite it.

Thus, if you add a list of necessary overwrites to the mod.json, you can have the modder tell the program what files they wrote as merges.

The biggest thing I see in all of this, is that merge files are simpler than full files. They really are. Writing down only what you need to add simplifies things immensely.

In my mod, this is my floran.species file:
    Code:
    {
        "defaultBlueprints" : {
            "tier1" : [
              { "item" : "floranbed" },
              { "item" : "floranarmchair" },
              { "item" : "florandoor" }
            ]
        }
    }
    Compare that to the full floran.species file. I don't have to include anything that isn't explicitly necessary.
    However, if I wanted to, I could include the full file edited to my liking and let Starloader to just overwrite it.

File merging, and the list to do so, isn't something that is required by Starloader. They're simply an available feature.

8. Ar7ific1al

Ar7ific1al Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Overwriting default files is not possible with Starloader. It places the ../assets folder last in the assetSources list. It broke my mod, and I couldn't figure out why. Just spent the last half hour trying to figure out why. Stopped using Starloader, reformatted the bootstrap file so I could read it, and put ../assets at the beginning of assetSources and now it's perfectly fine. Redid it with Starloader, and it broke again. Moved ../assets back to the front and it's fine now.

Can you please fix this? Anyone who downloads my mod is going to find that it doesn't work as intended with Starloader because of this. They'll have to manually move ../assets to the front of their assetSources in their bootstrap config file. :/

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  9. Dragory

The problem with moving ./assets as first is that if you then DON'T merge player.config and some mod supplies a partial one, the game won't start because the file doesn't have all the required properties.
    Then again, I could make it so that player.config gets merged by default. Overwriting default assets is, after all, a much bigger gain than that problem is a hindrance. Thank you for the feedback, I'll implement this in the next release!

10. Patchumz

Patchumz Pangalactic Porcupine

11. Shelton

Shelton Orbital Explorer

Got some problems with libs
    Code:
    ./starloader: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.15' not found (required by ./starloader)

12. Ar7ific1al

The _merged folder in my Mods folder is set to load after ../assets in my assetSources and it seems to work fine when I move ../assets to the front.

13. Fullmetalalchemist

Fullmetalalchemist Master Chief

14. Ar7ific1al

Scratch that, it didn't load properly with a new character. My recipes are no longer available. lol

15. Cocatox

Cocatox Void-Bound Voyager

can you make it load rar packed mods too plz thx

and a function who scans for mod compability with other mods or files

thx for your nice and hard work

love it

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  16. chrisfowers

chrisfowers Space Hobo

Is this on github? Any way we could get source? I'd like to contribute if possible.

17. yk999

yk999 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Can it merge celestial.config and planetgen.config files?

18. Dragory

Yup, see https://github.com/Dragory/Starloader!

You can merge those files and any other ones you'd wish (as long as they are in the JSON format) by adding them to the "Files to merge" list in the Options tab.

19. DXLelouch

DXLelouch Void-Bound Voyager

how on earth do you know if its in json format?

20. Med

Med Phantasmal Quasar

I was about to go try and figure that out myself, but heh yeah it should be apparent to Dragory that information would be appreciated. :p