1. If you need help with your pre-order or technical support for Starbound, please use the support forum instead. Do not post Starbound-related things here.

Stop jumping to newest unread by default?

Discussion in 'General Forum Help' started by Topodic, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Topodic

Topodic Void-Bound Voyager

When I check a thread, it always jumps to the newest unread message by default. Is there any way to disable that? It drives me insane.

Xylia likes this.
  2. Dunto

Dunto Guest

Doesn't look like it. You should really be reading the discussion before posting anyways. If for some reason that thread is either too busy or you're already aware of the ongoing discussion, you can click the page number above to go to the last page, but this would be an exception rather than a common occurrence.

3. Topodic

Topodic Void-Bound Voyager

It's not that I want to go to the last page, I want to go to the first. I haven't been posting much, just looking at mods on the Stardew Valley forums, so I care more about checking the first post for the mod information.

So as it is, the feature is fairly frustrating and inconvenient to me. Oh well, thank you for the info.

4. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

It does that with threads I've never been to.

Classic example -- any Dev Blog Post.

Step 1: See Dev Blog Post
    Step 2: Click on Dev Blog Post
    Step 3: ???
    Step 4: Scream in rage as it zips to some arbitrary point on the last page.

I don't want to go to the last page of a thread I've never visited before. I want to, you know, go to the FIRST page? But noooo, I gotta waste time manually telling it "First page, stupid, I'm not here for the discussion, I just wanna see the dev blog post!"

Topodic likes this.
  5. Dunto

Dunto Guest

If you always want to go to the first post, mark that forum as read (using the button in the top left). If you visit a thread with no new posts you go to the first page automatically.

6. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Then what happens when a dev blog is posted like, 5 days after you did that? Then you have to mark that forum as read, _again_?

I can't figure out why THIS forum does this, and no other forum does. It can't be on Xenforo's end, because other XF forums don't do this. I shouldn't have to manually mark everything as read every day just to automatically go to the first post in a new thread.

Going to a NEW thread that you've never touched before, it SHOULD go to Post #1 by default. That's just common sense.

7. Dunto

Dunto Guest

If you have never looked at that thread before, then yeah, it should (and does, for me) go to the first post (as it's the first unread post).

8. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

It's not, though. Every time a Dev Blog post comes up, I'll visit it either form the link in the news page OR clicking on it in the forum list, and same thing happens both times -- I get taken to a random spot in the middle of the thread (sometimes the last page) and I have to manually tell it to go to Post #1 just to read the dev blog.

I can't figure out why it is doing this. Nowhere else does this happen (that is, no other XF-based forum).

EDIT:

Here's a test. I went to Creative Works -> Writing and clicked on the first thread. I know for a fact I've never touched this thread before, it's called "Diary of a Lone Avali".

First click: Page 2, halfway down the page.

Clicked the Back Button, then clicked the link again, Page 4, halfway.

Clicked the Back Button, then clicked the link again, Page 6, almost end of page.

EDIT2: Tried a thread over on TCF... took me straight to Post #1. But then I noticed all of the links in this forum have /unread after them. TCF's do not. Maybe XF has a bug that if you put /unread at the end of a link to a thread you've never read before, it bugs out?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  9. Dunto

Dunto Guest

I doubt it's an issue with XF as that doesn't happen to me, I go to the first unread post (the first post, in this case) every time.

What theme are you using? Browser? etc

10. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Theme is the Classic Theme (the black/grey one, before the forum was overhauled), browser is Firefox 44.0.2; all scripts allowed except twitter.com.

EDIT: lol, just as I typed that, a popup popped up and said FF v45 is available. Yeesh. What timing. I'll try it again tomorrow after it updates on its own.

11. As an alternative, since I don't think you can change it (I don't think there's a global option either), you can click the date to go to the first page:
    timestamp.png
    For me, the first time I go to that thread it brings me to post 1. The second time the link has /unread and brings me to the first post of page 2 as it assumes I read all of page 1. Doing so again brings me to the first post of page 3.
    Are you registered/logged in on that site? I believe XenForo always brings you to post 1 if you aren't logged in.

12. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I can try clicking the date, though it's kinda a habit to click the actual heading, lol.

Then why is it skipping pages for me, then? I don't get why it always +2s every time I click a link with /unread after it... that makes no sense, lol. It's assuming I read 2 pages.

I'm always logged in both sites.

I use a desktop at home and I'm the only person who uses it so I have it set to keep me logged in at all times.

Still can't figure out the difference between the two sites. But thanks for the tip about clicking on the date, I'll try that. Never woulda thought to click on that.