Storage House

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Xamerzan, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Xamerzan

Xamerzan Cosmic Narwhal

I'm sure someone's brought this up at one point or another, but I think it'd be nice to have a sort of "Storage House." Obviously, it'd be a building Robin could build for us where we could place our Chests, Kegs, Oil Machines, Cheese Presses, and all the other manufacturing devices. It could be just a large empty building where we can place what we want where we want, or perhaps it could come with its own set of chests/storage crates. I don't know what upgrades would be useful for it, so if you guys have any ideas for upgrades, please feel free to post them here!

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Confirmed for 1.1 update; CA has announced worksheds/storage sheds will be available to build (and apparently they will also be able to be decorated with wallpaper and flooring like homes). From his Twitter:

ConcernedApe ‏@ConcernedApe · May 23

v1.1 will have several new building types including windmills to make flour & sugar, and sheds with interiors u can decorate/use for storage

• Xamerzan

Xamerzan Cosmic Narwhal

Ok, I figured this was touched up on. Just wanted to be sure, thanks. ^_^

• Exhibitioner

Exhibitioner And Do the MONKEY!

Didn't know this was part of the update but sounds great, not sure how this type of system would function though.

Would it allow you to store any items? Currently I have around 5 cluttered chests just sitting around my room which stores my general items such as food, seeds, minerals, etc.

Is this how everyone stores their items currently or is there a more effective and efficient method to store them? Fairly new to the game myself so I'm still trying to figure out some basics like this :3

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

My interpretation of the planned building is just an empty structure that lets you put chests, kegs, furnaces, and all other sorts of equipment inside it. It probably will not have intrinsic storage ability on its own; it will likely just be like the coops and barns, a large open space inside. Perhaps you'll be able to put up signs inside it to label things as well.

And personally, I find it most helpful to have the chests placed next to where the items inside them are used most. i.e., a crafting chest full of ores and coal and such near the furnaces, a chest of cooking supplies next to the kitchen, a chest of seeds and gardening supplies near the tilled land, and so forth. I currently use a coop as a storage shed and brewery (the ducks don't seem to mind much) and the farm cave as a workshop.

RichieJS likes this.
            • Exhibitioner

Ah I see so basically just empty rooms where you can place chests/other equipment at free will, that sounds quite useful!

Currently I just have 5 chests laying around random places in my house, two are by my TV while some others are by the plant etc. I'm planning on building a coop next as I just added the silo building to my farm, is there a lot of free space in there for chest storage?

• LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

IMO the barn makes a better storage building - the coop is a bit more narrow and once you get a few birds in there it can get a bit difficult to walk around. (And you can't pick them up to move them out of your way.) The barn is a bit more expensive but it is more of a square shape, instead of a rectangle, so you'll have more space.

MrToni300 likes this.
                • Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

A starter coop has a pretty good internal space, especially if you're not actually keeping any chickens inside it. While I agree with LNW that the barn has more internal space-- as it should, it's clearly a bigger building-- I wanted to a) do things on a smaller scale and z) have the option to re-use the building for livestock, and I have no plans to keep barn animals. After a couple of upgrades, I currently have a deluxe coop (it's so deluxe I want to spell it coupe) with three ducks, a rabbit, two mayo machines, one storage chest, one seed maker, twenty brewing kegs, and twelve preserves/pickling crocks bubbling away. Since the coop is at low occupancy by animals the whole arrangement works quite well for space.
                  [​IMG]

When 1.1 comes out, I will probably relocate the brewery to a dedicated building. Then again, the ducks do seem to enjoy the sour mash from a batch of Pale Ale.

• Exhibitioner

That building looks really cool and yeah, I think I want to have quite a lot of farm animals as long as there is some variation between some so I'll most likely just go with the barn for storage, maybe even the new storage system if the update isn't too long away. :gooby: