1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Bug/Issue Stuttering and Incorrect Resolution

Discussion in 'Support' started by malykot, Mar 7, 2016.

1. malykot

malykot Void-Bound Voyager

Hey folks! Seems like a lot of us have been having the same problems, but I figured I'd toss my own thread up here to try and see what I could do. The performance issues I've been having on my end have actually given me a migraine after playing the game for ~3 hours, which is something I've almost never had a problem with with any videogame.

Problems:
    - Stuttering as the screen is scrolled (starts out moderate, becomes severe after playing for ~30 min)
    - Screen resolution is zoomed in and cuts off parts of the screen (see screenshots below)

I've been wary of trying this solution, as it involves turning off Safe Boot, which makes me a little uneasy. I know CA is working on possibly solving the resolution error, which is great, but I effectively can't play it at all right now, lest I get another 24-hour migraine. @w@ Thanks in advance for any help!

Screenshot(s):
    I can add more if needed, I just jumped in to grab this one before it could make my headache worse, aha!
    [​IMG]

• BuenoNino

BuenoNino Orbital Explorer

• malykot

Thank you for the help - I'm very much wary of trying the resolution solution (alliteration, ay!), as it could possibly corrupt or otherwise damage Important Bits in my computer, according to the multitude of warning messages it spewed at me when I almost went through with it... and honestly I don't have the money to replace this laptop. @w@;;

• BuenoNino

@Angry Snowbeast

Can you show me your graphic video content? Maybe all of this is due to lack of dedicated memory...

• malykot

@BuenoNino
          Sorry, I'm not much of a tech guy - do you mean graphics card info and the like? 8')

• BuenoNino

Yeap, right click on your "My Computer->Properties->Advanced System Settings->Hardware->Device Manager->Display Adapter" and here should be your graphics card name.

• malykot

@BuenoNino
              Ah, right! Thank you! On this computer, I have the standard Intel HD Graphics Family driver, although I haven't tried to run Stardew on my gaming PC, which I believe has something different... I'm trying to run it on this one, though, b/c this is my actually-portable computer, aha.

• BuenoNino

So there is the problem, the incorrect resolution is due to lack of dedicated memory, so there's probably a chance that you're using 1024x768, right? For the Stuttering, the GPU you're using specifically is HD graphics 4400. The theoretical max performance of this series is about 184 GFlops. This means its about half way between an xbox and xbox 360 in compute power. For comparison a 290x has 5632 Gflops. Even a desktop AMD apu (7850k) has close to 1000 Gflops. Needless to say you're going to want to stick to very old games or indie games.

There is some Media Accelerators to this graphic family, although it doesn't change the Resolution nor Stuttering, my advice? Play on your "gaming pc"

Cheers! :disguise:

• malykot

Thanks for all of the help! I'll try and tweak this PC and hope for a miracle, but I'll probably end up falling back on the Alienware, yeah. Cheers!

Will post results of trying Valley out on that comp, just to see if the resolution fixes itself (doubt it will, but one can pray)!