1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestion: EVERY level random not just the first time through

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Vahnkiljoy, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Vahnkiljoy

Vahnkiljoy Ketchup Robot

Yesterday during my 330+ minute gametime, I noticed that every level after the first time was just repeated and not random, the only thing that was random were the chests/statues/stores and their locations, I think what would really bring this into the roguelike realm is if every level were random EVERY time, the same is with the 'Replay?' button, it should not just reload the exact maps but should auto random new ones, can get very old very fast when you know the terrain every time.

• okok111

okok111 Pangalactic Porcupine

Do you mean that every level is the same and just goes in circles? The cycle of levels goes on and on (1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3...) but for each level there is an option of two stages, each of which have several different variants (e.g in desolate forest the cavern on the far left can either be blocked by a rockslide or it can be open to access as normal.) Also, providing this were to happen, how could it be implemented for this type of game, considering that its a 2D platformer/roguelike you'd get all sorts of problems, including chests that you couldn't access, and enemies spawning on inaccessible platforms during the time that the teleporter is activated, which can effectively ruin a run by a platform being too far away.

• pinkie pirate

pinkie pirate Cosmic Narwhal

And irthink the world gens by randomly placing generated "structures"

• Biomatter

Biomatter Subatomic Cosmonaut

Ok, the two people above me seem to have misunderstood the TC. What he is saying is that even though a given level (Dried Lake) CAN have variations, once you begin a game it is set in stone, even if you loop back by beating 6~7 levels. This is probably most noticeable with the Arctic and Magma levels, seeing as they show up every 3/4 levels. Not only that, TC implied that if you click the 'Try Again?' option you get the exact same levels, including the same variations of the levels.

I have not actually tested this, but I am trying to translate so everyone can understand exactly what TC means.

• okok111

okok111 Pangalactic Porcupine

Oh, danke for the translation, biomatter.
            In which case, yeah, this would be a great idea. Wouldn't be too hard to implement as well.