1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Super /sbg/ Race Mod 0.17

Eight (possibly more) exotic alien races from the depths of the Internet to spice up your galaxy!

1. Wall of Knowledge

Wall of Knowledge Cosmic Narwhal

like you'll ever have to worry about that :zombie: Just download the new version and replace the old one? I'm pretty sure that's how everyone did it before Workshop support became a thing.

Lindazana likes this.
  2. voiditect

voiditect Scruffy Nerf-Herder

okay. So all I do is click the link, find the folder, and move it into my mods folder in starbound, Right?

3. Gratuitous Lurking

Gratuitous Lurking Space Kumquat

Starbound/mods is where non-workshop mods go, yes. It's currently how I've installed all my texture changers like Starface and stuff plus a few not on Workshop yet

4. voiditect

voiditect Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I figured it out before that. Thx tho.

5. johnp1238

johnp1238 Void-Bound Voyager

*Installs mod, makes harpy, applies terrarian harpy color scheme out of habit*

Saint Apollyon likes this.
  6. johnp1238

Also how many races are going to be added?

7. Yarott

Yarott Phantasmal Quasar

I'm sort of wondering when will the custom ships come. The races are great, and their passives are neat. To me, there should be more effort on the current races than adding more. And I've been following this a lot since /sbg/ first talked about this. And this mod still makes me come back to visit every month and check if any updates are up and out.

8. Senpai Deviljo

Senpai Deviljo Cosmic Narwhal

I want to know is their a way i can make the male version of the barromata wear female clothes or would that have to be done manually?

9. johnp1238

What is the Item ID for the Barometta Protectorate uniform? Have I asked this before?

10. XelSlime

XelSlime Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Color me surprised, there actually is a Barometta Protectorate outfit now.

protectoratechestbaro
    protectoratepantsbaro

I'm waiting to see those little fairy-like characters, personally.

Also, Wall of Knowledge, not sure you saw it yet, but remember that "nonuniform" thing, and Create-A-Friend? Check this out.

I'm gonna fill my crew with a whole variety of monster people.

Oh, right, also check this thing out. Screw limits.

Saint Apollyon and Lindazana like this.
  11. Saint Apollyon

Saint Apollyon Phantasmal Quasar

I was looking through older stuff from this mod, because reasons, and I had no idea that there was going to be a little bug race at some point! is that still a go, or was that not really much more than a concept at the time?
    If their smaller size is an issue, the Penguin Piracy author said that their code was open, so that would probably make that process significantly easier.

12. XelSlime

So uh....... how goes that other race anyway? They look neat.

13. Wall of Knowledge

This is gonna be a long one, lads.

[​IMG]

Indeterminate. I don't want to say there's any hard limitation, but this mod already has a massive breadth vs. depth problem, so I want to add more content to existing races before adding new races (not counting the WIP one that I want to get functional).
    CAVEAT: If you (or anyone else) want(s) to add new races and help add content to the mod, I am all over that shit and you should PM me as soon as possible.

It has to be done manually, which sucks.

MOD STATUS:
    Progress since I last posted: basically nil
    Why: In no particular order, college, a lack of energy, being a lazy cunt, being away from the mod for so long making it hard to start back up again, and the sheer absolutely overwhelming volume of shit I need to do to get the mod into a decent state.

Things I want to do but lack the technical expertise for:
    -(micro)Dungeons/towns/hub areas
    -Racial abilities that are more detailed and not butts
    -Special race-specific features (e.g. wayshrines to Tasketia that give you quests like NPCs)
    -Finishing/un-fucking the WIP loli spider-moth race because I never got around to looking into the Penguin Piracy assets
    -Planetary content (e.g. moons/lunarian towns on moons that don't get shrekt by space ghosts)
    -Mech/vehicle content
    -Mod compatibility stuff (e.g. an addon that ties it more closely to Frackin' Universe)

Things I want to do but would require an absolute metric fuckton of art assets:
    -Clothing overhaul to enable all clothes to fit on non-standard body templates without being jank and terrible
    -Ships (at all)
    -Respawn animations

Things that I want to do but would take an asston of assets and/or I don't have any good ideas for:
    -Racial furniture/objects
    -Dialogue (both NPC and investigation)
    -Namegen
    -Crafting/Farming/Cooking expansions/revisions
    -Racial content at all for a couple of races

Things I don't want to do because they're an absolute chore:
    -Marli skin fix
    -Clothing overhaul to enable all clothes to fit on non-standard body templates without being jank and terrible

I can't guarantee that I'm going to start working on this again now/soon because promises like that never turn out well for me, but I'd like to.
    If you want to help contribute to the mod, but have lore/similar questions about the races that aren't covered in the existing lore pages, feel free to PM me (it doesn't have to be on this list, either; there's basically nothing you could contribute that wouldn't be a welcome addition that you'd get credit for).

jonathonspy and Saint Apollyon like this.
  14. Lindazana

Lindazana Cosmic Narwhal

Well, for race abilities... for my personal game, I've torn apart the wasp hive race mod and replaced the wing back accessory they get with an invisible sprite and changed the sound to one of the bone dragon flaps. Lets me clumsily fly with the harpy while it's equipped, with a wing flap sound every "jump". If I had the know-how I'd edit the harpy into FR to be super fragile as a trade off.

Honestly, while it's sad there's no progress, it's a huge relief to see you're at least still alive with access to the net, and chatting. Far too many content makers of various things just tend to vanish off the face of the earth.

15. XelSlime

Amusing thing, messing with NpcSpawner+ and Barometta.

Choose the "male" side, pick a hairstyle, then switch to the "female" side. The large horns remain. Opposite could be done too.

I'm having trouble getting back into modding, myself, and I was going to revive the demon side (unchanged) of a certain outdated monster mod. It's essentially done too, except for three sets of hair with different head parts.

16. Wall of Knowledge

Quick progress report, because I might actually get more done if I do that: Only marginal modding progress, but some ideas progress done.
    -Studying PP and other related assets; getting a more solid idea of how to push forward with the new race
    -In studying PP assets, I discovered that it's now possible to edit jump settings in detail in humanoid.config, meaning I was able to no bullshit enable harpy flight by giving them their own config and changing a single line of JSON
    -The origin of the Gamayun is literally as follows: One day, on /sbg/, I posted "Hey guys, I think I found a way to do an armless race that wouldn't look like crap". Anon replied: "Why not go all the way?" and posted a humorous image of the main character of American Dad as a quadruple amputee riding a horse (which I assume is a scene from the show; I never watched it); my reply was something to the effect of "lol sure why not" and thus they were born. This means that while they were a blast to sprite, they never really had any thought or planning behind them; they were just A Thing That I Did As An Experiment Because It Looked Like Fun. That, in turn, meant that they've never had any real theme or direction behind them, which makes it damn near impossible to actually draft any content for them, which has been a continual thorn in my side. I've discussed concepts for them with contributors, but was never quite satisfied (or at least, am not quite satisfied in retrospect) with them.

What helped me realize (or reminded me vividly) of this is that I caught the inspiration bug yesterday, and am steadily filling up with ideas for a new and superficially similar race. Since they're one that nobody else actually contributed to, I'm strongly considering just replacing them entirely.

Saint Apollyon and Lindazana like this.
  17. Lindazana

Lindazana Cosmic Narwhal

Ohhhh! Could you possibly share said config? And would it happen to be in a friendly patch format, or isolated in a way to play nice with other racial mods, so long as they don't touch the harpy race?

Related: What's PP? Not familiar with that acronym for Starbound. That or I'm dumb.

18. Saint Apollyon

Saint Apollyon Phantasmal Quasar

It stands for Penguin Piracy! It's a somewhat hefty mod that adds a lot of penguin based stuff.

I wouldn't be opposed to a revamp/replacement of the Gamayun, as long as it isn't too much of a chore on your part.

19. carriontrooper

carriontrooper Existential Complex

*rises from the grave*
    I think there was a discussion into making the Gamayun a bit more Tibetan Psychics: The Race a while back, with concept art for their ships and everything. What about those?
    *drops back to grave*

20. XelSlime

It's possible this exists and I just don't see it, but have you thought about having a github page for this big project? People could offer assistance, and you can just accept or decline adjustments. Might help with motivation, and lightening the load on your mind.

I never thought to use it myself when I still managed the Slime Race Mod instead of handing it to Hieru, but looking it over with Sayter's mods being uploaded to it, and suggesting an adjustment to the slime NPC dialog file (since we agreed recently on including some things of our mod into it), it's quite nice.