1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

WIP Suthay-Raht Khajiit

Discussion in 'Races' started by charity236, Apr 7, 2014.

1. charity236

charity236 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

We've got Argonians, but how about the Elder Scrolls' other playable beast race? I love the Khajiit myself, so thought I'd have a crack at modding them in... or at least, the most common sub-species. :catface2:
    (Never played Elder Scrolls and don't know what a Khajiit is? See here.)

I hope to make this mod both fun to play and nice to look at, while decently fitting into both Starbound and Elder Scrolls lore. There's still a fair bit of work to do before the first proper release, but if there's enough interest I'll do a v0.01 containing the bare essentials.

Do note that this is only my second mod - the first dealing with anything more complex than sprite changes - and I'm also studying at the moment, so progress on this will be slow. (For fans of my first mod, rest assured I'm not abandoning it!)

~~~~~~~

For now though, let's have a look at what I've done so far...

[​IMG]

Say hello to Ja'blahr, my little test subject. Believe it or not, he actually got his name while I was testing the custom namegen, which I found hilarious X) There's tons of prefixes and syllables in the namegen, all taken from Khajiit names used throughout the TES series.
    For now I'm using Hylotl stuff as a placeholder for starter clothing, which works well enough considering the racial clothes I've seen in Elder Scrolls Online. Now, Ja'blahr, I apologise for what I'm about to do...

[​IMG]

...Don't glare at me like that. I'm reasonably happy with most of this spritework, but I'll probably tweak it heaps anyway, lol - the head and tail have had a few iterations already. The lighter fur on the inner sides of limbs (mostly based on colouration in Morrowind and Oblivion) took a while, as did working out placement of claws.
    The tail is static for now, but I want to do a different pose for each personality, and detailed motion for the movement cycles. Only base part completely untouched so far is emotes, which shouldn't take too long. Also, I plan on adding some kind of fur pattern.

[​IMG]

Yes, yes, there you go - and while I'm at it, let's head planetside. There's something you oughta see.

[​IMG]

Da-daah, a flag. It's not much, but hey, it's got ESO's Khajiit symbol on it. That counts for something, right? Anyway, to sum up...

~~~~~~~

:paper: Current Features
    • Species Graphics:
      • Base body (excluding emotes) - male
    • Chargen:
      • Extensive custom namegen
    • Items:
      • Custom flag
    Yeah, it's not much, but learning how this stuff works takes a while. What about the plans for this mod, you ask? Take a look.

~~~~~~~

:paper: Short-Term To-Do (v0.1)
    • Species Graphics:
      • Base body - female (working on this now)
      • Emotes
      • Fur pattern
      • Chargen and skull icons
    • Chargen:
      • Tweak namegen
      • Fur colours - at least three
      • Hairstyles - at least three
      • Starter clothing - at least one set
    • Items:
      • Starter weapon
    • Texts:
      • Modify tutorial quest
      • Basic codexes
      • Descriptions for starter items
      • Start work on other item descriptions + inspection responses
    ~~~~~~~

:paper: Long-Term Plans

(Not listing everything - have some surprises planned, if I get far enough and can make them work :ninja:)
    • Species Graphics:
      • Respawn animation involving the Lunar Lattice
      • Introduction cinematic (once implemented in vanilla)
    • Chargen:
      • Moar hairstyles and fur colours
    • Items:
      • Custom weapons and armour
      • Custom clothing, including budi
      • Khajiit-styled furniture, ornaments, craft tools...
      • Various blocks and tiles for building
      • Farmable moon sugar
      • Skooma :megusta:
    • Structures:
      • Custom ship
        • Upgrades (once implemented in vanilla)
      • Various buildings and settlements
        • Villages
        • Temples and shrines
        • Nomad tents
        • Moon sugar plantations
      • Dungeons
        • Temple ruins
        • Bandit hideouts
        • Skooma operation houses
    • NPCs:
      • Villagers, guards, shopkeepers etc
      • Bandits, including skooma smugglers
      • Prisoners (captured by members of another race, thinking Apex or maybe Florans?)
      • Alfiq and Senche-tigers, both as villagers and as pets/followers :kitten2:
    • Texts:
      • Item descriptions
      • Codexes
        • Various parts of Khajiiti lore
        • Khajiiti views on the Starbound universe and races (and vice-versa?)
        • A series concerning how/why they're in the Starbound universe in the first place (already got some fun ideas for this :ninja:)
    • Misc:
      • Custom sound effects
      • Custom quests (perhaps once the vanilla quest system is improved)
      • Some sort of new biome?
      • Ridable Senche-raht (BATTLE TIGERS! :mwahaha:)

I hope you like what you see so far! If you have any questions, comments, critique or suggestions, feel free to post them. :catface:

2. NebulaDK

NebulaDK Void-Bound Voyager

This..is..beautiful

charity236 likes this.
  3. charity236

Heh, thank you! It's only going to get better ;)

Should have the female body done pretty soon, and then I'll start on the emotes and hair.

4. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

It might be technically simple but the spritework is excellent quality. I like where this mod's going :)

charity236 likes this.
  5. PapaKatt

PapaKatt Void-Bound Voyager

This is spectacular! Everyone forgets of us Khajiit, thank you, do you think I could get a realease date?

charity236 likes this.
  6. charity236

I'm now on a two-week break from classes :D Starting Sunday night, I'll work on cranking out a bare-bones v0.01 - it shouldn't take more than a few days.

7. Squaretoxic

Squaretoxic Space Spelunker

I LUV DIS I LUV DIS.

8. Harva

Harva Space Hobo

Man I really hope this is still a go. Looks like there hasn't been an update for a while.

Your khajiit looks far better than the other silly feline race skin someone else is working on. Plus the ideas you have to make more khajiiti themed items is brilliant!

Please keep this project going!

If you need any help with making things I've dabbled in pixel art in the past. I totally don't mind learning whatever is required to skin items in starbound. Just throwing it out there if you need any help.

9. Ap-Doge

Ap-Doge Void-Bound Voyager

Hello, Yes, I talk from a distant future of 2016.
    Maybe not so distant, sure, but this W.I.P is from 2014 so you get the point.
    The sprite work is very well done and I can assure you that we need more people like you around here, the modding community is kinda slow but I'm sure it'll grow back up eventually y'know after the updates to come and such.
    Although I would very much like to make a mod such as this but I lack artistic skills such as yours.
    Not only I, but many others would be very glad to see this mod finished or at least somewhere near.
    Now, you can do whatever you want with the mod, yeah, but all I'm saying is that it would be incredibly cool to see how it ends up, not only this mod but also you have a lot of potential and I wish you would notice that,
    If you require any help with lore related features I suppose I could help you.

Saint Apollyon and Khuur like this.
  10. versora

versora Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Looks cool. can't wait to try it. The Khajiit are my fave TES race.

11. Grimstuff

Grimstuff Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Just found this and see that you've logged in recently. Got any plans to continue development on this? I really love that spritework. I'm the Argonian author and wouldn't mind helping out if you're interested.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  12. Saint Apollyon

Saint Apollyon Phantasmal Quasar

I would love a chance to get to play this race someday. Even if it's just a barebones species mod reliant on placeholders, the spritework is gorgeous.

13. OkamiOki

OkamiOki Void-Bound Voyager

*fennec stamp of approval*

14. Cryptoid

Cryptoid Pangalactic Porcupine

Fantastic.

15. ookamisoulreaper

ookamisoulreaper Void-Bound Voyager

I would be over the moon if you came back to this, I love the Khajiit, and elder scrolls in general, and I want my kitty people dammit! Rock on friend!

Cryptoid likes this.
  16. Shanji

Shanji Space Hobo

Hey i just found out about this mod, can you please give an update? I really liked what you did here and would completely get back into playing Starbound just because of this mod. Thank you.

17. Cryptoid

Cryptoid Pangalactic Porcupine

this needs to be completed.

18. palmaman33

palmaman33 Void-Bound Voyager

Can you please gimme download? I really must have this mod (with my 2k hrs in elder scrolls played as khajiit is this mod must-have :3)
    If u won’t gimme download I will make my own version of this mod. I think I will do it because this project is dead because ur stopped working on it. Reeeeeeeeeee

Why am I talking with myself lol...

19. Jazar-Khajiit

Jazar-Khajiit Void-Bound Voyager

Welp dead mod... Cool that I bumped into it. Sucks that it is dead! Surfed through web, can't find proper replacement...

GAME IS UNPLAYABLE WITHOUT THIS MOD! I CAN"T BE MYSELF WITHOUT IT! *cries a river* :cry:

If you decided to abandon your work, at least you could have given assets to someone with talent and right hands to continue. Let's say that guy who made Argonians. Or any active modder with required skill and a vision.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019