1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

[Tabletop RPG] SRPG - Starbound Roleplaying Game (Unofficial)

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Neapher, Dec 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neapher

Neapher Phantasmal Quasar

Excuse me, can you tell me how do multitask at these levels?

2. GravityFlux

GravityFlux Guest

Its hard, and I do have some free time
    Plus, I run them back to back.

ANd of course, my notes cover entire notebooks
    The d20 Modern one is my favorite, by far, since its crazy. The setting has US Navy Sorcerers, Nuclear powered Giants, and Old Man Henderson as the Canadian President.
    Lets not forget the female Chuck Norris with an eyepatch running the US, and a human/Siberian white tiger combo hybrid running the USSR

3. Neapher

I... What.
    US Navy Sorcerers?
    US NAVY SORCERERS?!
    US NAVY SORCERERS!?!?

4. GravityFlux

GravityFlux Guest

Yes
    Its brilliant, really
    I spent almost three months on the setting.
    Right now, the players, (four of them in total) are all Canadians, and are halfways through conquering the world.
    And, I'll reveal this since I know the players will never find this, but there are several homebrew stuff, and stuff taken from GURPS in it
    Some of the supplemental things they are aware of............. Some of them, they don't know are in the game.
    Like the Eternity Rangers fluff
    And the Lovecraftian Mythos homebrew
    AND MY FAVOURITE, THE STARGATE ONE
    Which they will promptly have to deal with after they've got the planet under their belt
    Sure, they THINK they can destroy my plot, but I got this in my hands.
    The main big good, facing off against them is secretly a Madara Cultist, while he says he's a Sorcerer.
    Yeah, its been running for six months, and i love it so much

5. Axolotemen

Axolotemen Title Not Found

Dafuq?
    Anyways, watched.

nababoo and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Neapher

The fools! They think they can best a GM in their own universe?

Nerd Jargon
    Just nod and smile.

7. GravityFlux

GravityFlux Guest

Its beyond comprehension for them.
    But from what I'm hearing, they love it.

8. Neapher

My players are currently listening to the advice of an enchanted (and obviously evil) short sword with an inferiority complex. Little do they know that they fight with their very worst nightmare, just waiting to ruin their lives.
    It's basically the D&D Equivalent of Wheatley.

9. krylo

krylo Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

I'm not really a fan of FATE but for a Starbound system, I think that's probably your best bet.

I'd start there.

GravityFlux likes this.
  10. GravityFlux

GravityFlux Guest

Awesome
    Hmm

I wonder what else could I throw in to make the campaign more hellish for them?
    Its already quite difficult, but they've got SOME Gm fiat on their side
    Can't have my plot destroyed!
    And funny thing is, I'm not even railroading

11. Neapher

The problem with changing to FATE is that I would have to rewrite what I already have (at least parts of it) and I'd need to learn more about it. I'm forking my own mechanics in here and there to make it more player friendly and easy to write/understand.

Cult mass mind control device. Every NPC has a .05% Chance of being a sleeper agent. (Could be hell in a crowd)

12. GravityFlux

GravityFlux Guest

Oh my goooooooooooooooooooood
    And of course, last thing I will say about it, little do they know, that the very ship they've detected outside Charon, (They plan to get there after the world's theirs) is the ship Destiny, from Stargate.
    OSSUM

13. Neapher

OSSUM POSSUM
    Make sure to include lots of aliens.

14. GravityFlux

GravityFlux Guest

Ohohohoh, plenty.

15. krylo

You're gonna have to rewrite lots of what you got, anyway. I've written a few from scratch systems and there's always parts that just need to be hacked off, replaced, and rebalanced.

Speaking of, I'd post what you have currently to be looked at and looked over. The sooner you get people to look at it, people who aren't afraid to tell you what parts are awful or broken or exploitable, the less work you have to do in the long term. For instance, if, say, your armor vs damage (or accuracy) system strongly favors one side or the other, making combat likely to either be too fatal or too lengthy, it's better to know as soon as you have the skeleton of it than after you've figured out half of the gear, which would have to be rewritten with any revisions.

Regardless, just suggestions, from someone who's been GMing for about. . . a year and a half solid (Exalted and Shadowrun, mostly), as well as playing on and off for much longer (Anima, Exalted, Eclipse Phase, BESM, D&D, etc.) and GM'd a few shorter lived experiments before that time.

P.S. Never GM Exalted. Unless you hate yourself. Just throwing that out there. Edit: But if you do, ask nicely and I'll give you my homerules for making Warstriders not shit, Mass Combat not shit, and fixing a few other things here and there.

16. GravityFlux

GravityFlux Guest

Oh, Exalted
    I'm planning to GM a game after 3e comes out in March
    I'm sorry
    Solars are too awesome
    Terrestials also match up well

17. krylo

From what I've seen of 3e it seems like the system will be better, but I really hate the adding of more exalted types, the meta of 'the primordials are sealed for ever and can never escape', the continued inclusion of infernals despite that, the encroaching on Abyssal territory (which was already encroached on and shrunk with the introduction of infernals) through liminals, some of the stuff they've said about exalted power levels compared to mortals (if you want to be challenged by mortals there's games for that), and the attitudes of the people writing it.

I'm mostly hoping it's possible to just cut out the systems and transplant them into the old lore and world.

GravityFlux likes this.
  18. GravityFlux

GravityFlux Guest

I think that is going to be possible. And yeah, I prefer the older ones Exalted types too.
    God forbid Matt Ward gets around here

krylo likes this.
  19. Neapher

When I feel comfortable with showing what I have, I'll throw it down. I'll definitely try to pull some of the best parts of FATE, but I've got to find them first. I'm going to be looking through more systems and pulling peices. SRPG is going to need a lot of inspired bits and handmade glue.

20. Rune the Red Panda

Rune the Red Panda Existential Complex

I'm a little confused, your making what? A Starbound board game or something? <.>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.