Boss Teamwork mechanics for multiplayer bosses

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Deathskull, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Deathskull

Deathskull Phantasmal Quasar

I have been thinking about how bosses would scale in multiplayer, I think that it would be pretty boring if they all just got stat boosts depending on how many players were fighting, so what about moves that encourage cooperation from multiple players to deal with? EX:

A chain that attaches two players to each other, if they move too far apart the chain snaps and damages them both.

One player gets an orb above their head which starts to turn red if they stand near another player, if they stay near others for too long it explodes and deals huge damage.

Projectiles start to fire out of one player's body and damages all other players near them if they are not dodged.

So what do you think?

2. SuggestionsBot

SuggestionsBot Autonomous Posting Device

Thanks for submitting a new suggestion!

Please remember to give your opinion on this suggestion by voting on our suggestions page.

3. Autzome

Autzome Black Hole Surfer

I like the scaling but it's make single player very difficult. When it comes to bosses a blance is needed for single player. The orb nor the chains would work.

4. Autzome

Autzome Black Hole Surfer

Woops. You are very right.
    edit : guess what i wanted was something that would also work with singleplayer, your idea is really cool and i would love to see iy ingame but i dont want to always be in multiplayer to see it. Maybe there could be something that the bosses would only do if yout singleplayer,that way i dont miss out on anything. Also odd...I had yo edit all this in because my phone bonked put.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  5. Tristamid

Tristamid Void-Bound Voyager

I really like this. I also like when bosses are unique but hate artificial difficulty like just pumping up numbers. So anything that gives them that extra "omph" is fine by me.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  6. BluPixelz

BluPixelz Aquatic Astronaut

i think this is a bit draconian if you know what i mean, teamwork shouldnt be forced onto people =/

7. Deathskull

Then why play multiplayer in the first place? This would be more interesting than just giving the bosses more health depending on how many players there are. That's like saying you shouldn't have to dodge the bosses attacks or fight them to get their drops.

8. BluPixelz

multiplayer isnt just for forced teamwork, plus, it can be abused because one person can just go to another place to intentionally kill them both (there are poeple like that)

9. Deathskull

Why would you cooperate with other players then, if not to work together with them? And if someone wants to "abuse" this then there are far easier ways of doing it. Like, you know, killing your team. What's wrong with trying to get your team killed anyway? It's your own choice, and if the team isn't co-operating with each-other when fighting a boss they deserve to die just like if a single player messes up too much. This would be an example of anti greifing measures getting way out of control if it restricts game design like this.

10. BluPixelz

well some people in the world are just plain dicks you know? and plus, it can be used as a threat, for example, one greedy guy decides that his team will die unless he gets all the boss loot, also, this is a virtual game, you wont know everyone on a multiplayer server unless its your private SMP,

11. Deathskull

That's their problem. You can set up parties and have only friends and people you trust join so that no loot is stolen. There's always going to be rogues, thieves, ninjas, trolls ect. in online games so trying to stop it by removing game mechanics is more effort than it's worth.

And once again:

IF THEY REALLY WANTED TO SCREW THEM OVER THEY COULD JUST SWITCH TEAMS AND SHOOT EVERYONE IN THE BACK BEFORE STEALING THE LOOT. NO NEED TO ABUSE BOSS MECHANICS TO KILL THEIR TEAMMATES.

12. BluPixelz

well honestly not all of your friends play on your server, and its our problem if it affects us. Plus, in a party quest, i strongly dont think two teams would be smart to be next to each other, and 1 verse 4 isnt a great idea either, i

13. Deathskull

If they threaten to get everyone killed by the boss then the party is sure to attack them rather than just complying with it. How would abusing boss mechanics in this way be safer than attacking the party? If they turn on everyone there's still a chance they could win and steal the loot. If they try to screw with the boss mechanics then the boss kills everyone and they get nothing.

Why would people have to rely on boss mechanics to kill their teammates anyway? They could just shoot everyone in the middle of the fight to get them killed regardless.

14. BluPixelz

either way i dont like this idea

15. Deathskull

Whatever. Does this mean the argument is over?

, , , , , , , , , , ,,,

16. BluPixelz

i hope so, unless you wanna argue about sloths =/

17. Lobo

Lobo Spaceman Spiff

I like the idea of multiplayer bosses having a multiplayer mechanics, but to be honest, your concepts doesn't seem to add to the battle... they sound like gimmicks :confused:
    i think multiplayer mechanics should be well thought, so instead of being annoying, they encourage teamwork and feel natural

how about this:
    a boss with huge arms that absorb half of the damage taken, but when a player clibs on him, he lift his arms and try to grab this player. while the arms are lifted another player can shoot his belly/chest for full damage! :DD

or:
    A fish boss that stays deep underwater unless someone jumps into the body of water he's in. one player jumps in and serve as a bait, and the other snipes the fish from the beach :up:

with some work, multiplayer boss mechanics could work very well!

18. Deathskull

How are those any less gimmicky? The only difference is that the ones in the OP were offensive while yours are defensive.

19. Lobo

Lobo Spaceman Spiff

okay... :notworthy:
    just trying to help

20. Tectal

Tectal Scruffy Nerf-Herder

There's not doubt that multiplayer boss fights would be more exciting with manoeuvres that encourage cooperation, teamwork and tactics. Those are some of the fine details that make a boss fight into a well won battle, to me.

Perhaps at the same time, the game shouldn't delve too deeply into the realms of MMOs. Certainly a lot of nice additions to boss fights would be appreciated, but I agree with Lobo in a sense - perhaps the boss could have offensive and defensive manoeuvres appropriate to the situation, rather than (if I can call them) debuffs. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I hope you had some physical based things directly associated with the way the boss moves in mind.

Anyway, I think the idea is great and I'm upvoting.