1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Temperature Returns [UG] v0.5.1 ( Hot Fix )

Bringing Back Temperature Mechanics to Starbound

1. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

xxswatelitexx submitted a new mod:

Temperature Returns - Bringing Back Temperature Mechanics to Starbound

Read more about this mod...

HI-MAX² likes this.
  2. HI-MAX²

HI-MAX² Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I should stalk you from now on... *cough*

3. The | Suit

Alrighty... then.

4. greenRAM

greenRAM Giant Laser Beams

Love the proof of concept, as I do love survival elements in games. Like HI-MAX, I'll keep an eye out to see where this goes. I wish I had the skills and time to contribute more than just my moral support for this awesome project.

edit: it would be neat if all food adds some small base heat buff to the character, as that would give all food a bit more meaning. It makes sense too, as it would give the character an energy boost to fight the cold. More complex food might add a bit more for those cold days.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  5. The | Suit

Thanks - right now my primary focus is needing help balancing. As all the elements have now been designed to work.
    So really comes down to people who are proficient in calculated math.

Once balancing is done - implementing it to other items is much easier. Otherwise they all will have to be overhauled multiple times if not balanced properly

HI-MAX² likes this.
  6. The | Suit

xxswatelitexx updated Temperature Returns with a new update entry:

New Features!

Read the rest of this update entry...

7. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

Interesting. I have some free time after work, if I can help in any way, i'll chime in.

8. The | Suit

Thanks always would welcome more help - would love to get temperature back into the game.

9. WallyKazam

WallyKazam Void-Bound Voyager

Here here. Really missed the temperature component of SB's (UG) survival facet, it made the adventure part of the game a lot enjoyable. Hope things work out for this mod. Though I'm just starting to mod SB, but did mod a few other games, I'll give this one a get go as well. Cheers!

10. The | Suit

Mainly the biggest issue right now Is I don't have time to sit down for long periods to play it.

So I need some one to help look at settings numbers for the vanilla game associated with the tier of planets. So what is the best numbers to set for the biomes based on the highest tier of armor you will unlock for that period.

Since the mod is heavily customizable - people can can create a dependency for the mod to create a better "survival" based numbers of their own. So this is less of a mod and more of a customizable survival api.

But before all that is possible, I need some good vanillia number ranges.

11. The | Suit

This is something new I just finished up
    http://gfycat.com/OptimalHelplessAfricanparadiseflycatcher

You will notice 2 temperatures. One is the night time temperature ( was night a few seconds earlier ) and the other is day time temperature.
    Biome temperature updates every 60 seconds
    While body temperature updates every 10 seconds. - allows heating and cooling objects to have more effect.

Once i finalize the biome calculations I will be pushing it out for all the biomes which should take almost no time at all (once calcs are done)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  12. BloodyFingers

Is there any way to gather those numbers in vanilla? I'm doing calculations based on time and assigning the value of 100 to the temperature bar. It took 2.3 seconds for one unit of heat to be lost during the night on a forest/jungle biome while wearing the starting clothes, with granted a total of 2 heat protection. The problem started when I attempted the same test on another nightfall wearing only the chest piece, which granted 1 heat protection. The time it took for one unit of heat to be lost actually raised to 4.1 seconds. I don't understand why. Is the temperature set randomly each night within a range?
    That was about all I could do yesterday. I'll be working towards the highest tier for the alpha sector and will move to a snow biome next.

13. The | Suit

14. The | Suit

What do you mean gather those numbers in vanillia?
    The calculation is

Code:
    ( ( 3000  / biomeTempRatePer10Sec) / 60) * 10
    Also updated again new version to github. Improving calculation and adding new features. 0.03 should be out after some testing to make sure all things are working properly

To calculate with armor its
    Code:
    ( ( 3000 / ( biomeTempRatePer10Sec + armor) ) / 60 ) * 10

===
    Temperature Variation at day and night doesn't make a huge difference. Its just for people who want to have a temperature machine they just don't end up having to see only 2 numbers per planet. I might make it a bit more nicer and gradually transition between day and night temperatures instead.

Just calculate it with only the rate of change. The temperature of the planet isn't a big deal.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  15. The | Suit

xxswatelitexx updated Temperature Returns with a new update entry:

Get Wet! Probably best you don't.

Read the rest of this update entry...

16. tedlil

tedlil Pangalactic Porcupine

i love the idea! But i don't have too much time now to find out how it works, but i have suggestion. Don't know if my idea is the same as mechanics of this mod but is it possible to make source of heat/cold something like source of invisible light ? Starbound has nice lighting system and if you could use it as a temperature system it would be nice. The game would just take information about intensity of these two "lights" (warm and cold) and then calculate what temperature should be in this area :)

17. The | Suit

AoE effects are currently unavailable. But you could add a feature to provide heat based on the intensity of light in an area.
    But the issue really is more gameplay logistics more than anything else.

You either have to decide to give light as the factor or the object. The best option would be the object instead of using light - because then some one could just shine a flash light on you and you can heat up which is just silly.
    Right now you can see the Torch heats you up ( or cools you down - I forget what I set it as, as I was just testing the system out ) But currently the torch cannot provide AoE - but Meta said they will look into adding AoE after the stable has been fully patched up.

18. The | Suit

Updated Front page with the latest features.
    ==
    Currently working on
    I am writing up the heat side effects. Not really sure what they should be - if anyone has suggestions thats great.

Right now my plan is
    • Heat increases your speed but lowers your jumping.
    • You also suffer damage the more you run
    • As well as take regular damage over an interval
    • After a certain point you catch on fire.
    Also planning on adding slight increase in protection when you become cold.

19. tedlil

tedlil Pangalactic Porcupine

i wasn't thinking about using light as heatsource, but using light mechanics to the heat. So it would be like invisible light. For example make "hot invisible light" and "cold invisible light" and the game will look only at these two lights to calculate if it's warm or cold. So someone is supposed to has flashlight that gives invisible light (cold or hot) to use it as a heat or cold source. None of the visible one would work.

20. BloodyFingers

I think there's already a radius to objects that emit heat, so as to counter the cold. You enter it's radius and you get warm. The issue is making heat mechanics. You place an Ice cube and it emits... cold? How would you keep from getting cooked alive on Magma Planets?

Or is it going to work like that one planet in Mass Effect 2, where direct exposure to the sun overheats your shield and then, after that, it cooks you alive? That could work for dead planets, that isn't exactly hot by itself, but was scorched and left barren by the sun. Walking along background tiles would prevent you from getting burnt to toast. It would require you to either rest a bit behind natural cover, set up your own or dig a hole every now and again.

tedlil and The | Suit like this.