Tenrec Awareness Day!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bonabopn, May 6, 2016.

1. Bonabopn

Bonabopn Fluffiest Squirrel

That's what i thought! :D

2. Lodish

Lodish Black Hole Surfer

You definitely should :3

3. Bonabopn

wait a minute. hold on, i got this.

Today is Tenrec Awareness Day!

[​IMG]

The tenrec is a small, omnivorous mammal that lives across africa and madagascar. It can be very varied in appearance, but they usually look like a cross between a mole and a hedghog - sometimes with fabulous colouring!
    They can be many sizes and shapes, some are small like shrews, some are long like otters, and some are short like hedgehogs. The smallest tenrecs are about the size of a shrew, and the largest can be bigger than some dogs!

According to wikipedia, they live in a bajillion different habitats and it makes me wonder if it'd be easier to say where they don't live? Tenrecs can be very diverse and serve as a great example of convergent evolution; each individual species can be very similar to animals from other parts of the world, but aren't actually related to them.

Are you aware of tenrecs?

Lodish, Jirky-Kake and Firepaw Da Cat like this.
  4. Zerukoba

Zerukoba Pangalactic Porcupine

So they are basically like birds in that sense? They are something that just got around and breed like rabbits?

5. adimetro11

adimetro11 Spaceman Spiff

Get tenRec!

6. Bonabopn

They aren't very widespread really, and i didn't find anything about their birth rates.

7. Hel

Hel ✨ Johto's Finest ✨ Forum Moderator

I love coming here now and again to learn about all of the cute lil animals you show me that I didn't even know existed. <3

Bonabopn likes this.
  8. HunterC1998

HunterC1998 Cosmos Killer

I will say these are some crazy creatures that I never knew of before.
    Very cool!