Mob The Ancient Mariner

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Glassiam, May 21, 2013.

1. Glassiam

Glassiam Orbital Explorer

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A slow under water enemie that wanders the sea bed attacking enemies on site, although its slow movement it can hurl it's harpoon with great speed impaling it's enemies, they are usually found in numbers.​
    Attacks
    Harpoon Throw - throws his Harpoon at the player​
    Spectral Anchor - locks the players movement by attaching a Ghostly anchor to them​
    [​IMG]
    Sound
    They are heard before they're seen, usually a muffled scream and the sound of somone drowning​
    Death
    On death they explode into a green flare of ghostly smoke, their suits becoming still and collapsing​
    More Info
    I'm going to add different varients of helmets, suits and weapons ranging from tridents to sharp metal poles​
    [​IMG]
    Feel free to suggest stuff and creative criticism is welcome :)
    Varients​
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Nirn, frostybubbles, Miuub and 3 others like this.
  2. muxaun

muxaun Subatomic Cosmonaut

Love this.
    Lonely ancient mariners crawling the deeps.. it's so romantic!

DukeD likes this.
  3. Camera

Camera Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Reminds me of Nautilus from League of Legends, really cool concept :)

4. Glassiam

5. Drakearth

Drakearth Phantasmal Quasar

For some strange reason when i see this mob the song "Holy Diver" comes to my head. Otherwise nice job, i would like to see more nautical themed monsters.

BrenSage and Squigles like this.
  6. The Question

The Question Ketchup Robot

Great Idea! The Hoytl Can Do Spongebob Movie References!

BrenSage likes this.
  7. Sousuke Kuroda

Sousuke Kuroda Spaceman Spiff

FFFF THAT WHITE TEXT AND CAPITALS!

*ahem* On topic. While this is an interesting idea, it seems awful... "fantasy" for Starbound.

8. The Question

The Question Ketchup Robot

You Can Easily Science Anything, Like, Its An Automated Suit. Or Some Weird Alien Fungus Controls It. Once You Throw Space Into Sci Fi You can Pretty Much Fabricate A Cheap Explanation For Anything That Looks Like Magic. I'm Not Saying Its Aliens, But Its Aliens.

9. Sousuke Kuroda

Well that'd be cool. I do hope thats the reasoning behind it. If so, I like this idea. Its got Sousuke Kuroda's seal of approval.

10. muxaun

muxaun Subatomic Cosmonaut

It also could be live mariners forgotten in the ocean long time ago. They live long because of healthy seafood diet

11. Sousuke Kuroda

Could easily be explained as an autonomous sentinel machine race built by an underwater species to guard them on the planets they went to. Then something happened to that species leaving behind their sentries, the mariners.

DukeD likes this.
  12. Glassiam

I like it where you guys are going with it, how about the original divers were kind of assimilated by someone or thing and turned into the hollow automatons they are now powered by radioactive crystals inside which is the cause of the ghostly glow?

13. Sousuke Kuroda

Yeah that could work. The radioactive crystal implies that the element making it is decaying, which means the divers WILL EVENTUALLY die. But depending on the element you pick, they could exist for thousands of years on end. I like it.

In fact there was a story in Doctor Who, and these people were being turned into these mindless creatures. It turned out the culprit was these medical nanobots that hadn't been programmed, and so they based their medical processes on the first organism on Earth they found, which happened to be a terrified kid in a gas mask. So they began turning everyone they came into contact with a being with a gas mask for a face and the exact same scarring found on the kid.

I dunno, it could provide some nice inspiration for an explanation as to the cause behind the mariners.

14. Glassiam

Perhaps an ancient AI that was aboard a damaged vessel that when the ship crashed deep into the ocean the crew aboard all died but the AI survived corrupting its data and files making it able to break its programming and then work entirely on its own desires?

15. Sousuke Kuroda

Sure, give it some nanotechnology and you've got yourself the beginnings of a terrifying underwater zombie ghost monster.

16. Pentafrost

Pentafrost Orbital Explorer

looks really nice :) maybe it should be able to do a melee attack if you come close to it ;) maybe smack you down with the anker :) weigh you down hahaha :D

17. Pseudoboss

Pseudoboss Spaceman Spiff

I was hoping he'd tell you a story and make you late for a wedding. That'd be pretty cool.

Other than that the mob seems pretty cool. I'm thinking Big Daddies from Bioshock. Maybe have a Super Ancient Mariner with a mining drill? (FYI, those didn't appear only in Bioshock, I think they're in 20,000 Leauges Under the Sea also, and some earlier. Perhaps even a real life thing?)? Perhaps as a boss?

18. Moon Star

Moon Star Cosmic Narwhal

I like this idea, as well as OP's idea!