Race The Arachneidi

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by DeadlyLuvdisc, May 2, 2013.

1. Noncha

Noncha Star Wrangler

You mean the ones that look like the Medabots? (Specifically, Metabee) They look pretty solid, keep them for now and you can always make changes in the future if need be.

DeadlyLuvdisc likes this.
  2. *Teo

*Teo Big Damn Hero

As I live in the Middle-East, I am very fond of others using its culture to come up with new ideas. I, personally, find this race INCREDIBLY appealing.

You have my full support on this, good sir!
    P.S. Love the sprites

WoxandWarf and DeadlyLuvdisc like this.
  3. DeadlyLuvdisc

DeadlyLuvdisc Oxygen Tank

Oh yes, Metabee, Rokusho, and Arcbeetle. Links for those who don't know Medabots.

I made another one, I bet you can't guess this one's inspiration, though. I made it harder this time.

4. Exkaiser

Exkaiser Big Damn Hero

....Is that Kamen Rider?

Though the red bits are horns and not eyes, of course, with the big red bits, grey mouth, and green body, it was the first thing I thought of.

5. DeadlyLuvdisc

No, but I think I found my next bit of inspiration.

Actually, it's a mixture of Boba Fett and Princess Leia when she was rescuing Han Solo from Jabba's lair in Return of the Jedi. The color scheme and armor plating is from Boba Fett, and the mouth piece and double-visor of the helmet are from Leia. I added the horns because I haven't done that style on any armors yet and I needed some red on the helmet to balance the color scheme. Maybe it would have been more obvious if I had added in Boba Fett's trademark rocket jet pack, but I didn't want it to be obvious.

6. [Cobalt]

[Cobalt] Orbital Explorer

Out of all the other races I've seen this one has to be in the best!
    Nice Job! :up:

7. Noncha

Noncha Star Wrangler

Got here a little late for the guessing-game this time, but keep the those creative juices flowing! :D

8. Felonious

Felonious Existential Complex

I like the new armors, they look interesting. In addition, I've always been a fan of the Protoss, and as such, felt that east Indian philosophy was always somewhat under-rated. I enjoy the inspiration.

9. DeadlyLuvdisc

Hahaha. New updated armors again, and this time I'm sure you can't guess where I got my ideas from!

10. dark lord derpy

dark lord derpy Big Damn Hero

Nice job on the sprites, too human for my tastes of course, and would like to see perhaps more varied culture, but certainly interesting and I would love to see them in game.

11. Felonious

Felonious Existential Complex

The physics and animations call for human-esque physique. Besides, this isn't Science Fiction, this is Science Fantasy, and as such, there are no laws of hyper-realism binding such things.

12. dark lord derpy

dark lord derpy Big Damn Hero

I suppose, but I would still like to see perhaps, if they look like spiders that does not mean they are at all like spiders.

13. DeadlyLuvdisc

I find it very hard to imagine these guys outside of simple pixel-art at all. I mean, they have no spine so they would be very flexible, their heads are effectively upside-down and they eat through where a human's brain would be, they look like they have horns, it would be really hard to look one in the eyes... They're more demonic than human, though probably not to the same extent as an Eldritch Abomination. Of course, I still had to fit the character template so that they can still wear armors designed for the other races. One of my main goals was to make them as alien as possible while still working well within the context of Starbound.

I'm looking forward to working on the next major update this weekend. I'll be doing sections on various sub-castes, the laws and customs of their society, religious traditions ranging from marriage to birth to burial, and making sprites for at least three new armors. I also brainstorming ideas for possible bosses that would be related to the Arachneidi.

By the by, the latest armor I made (depicted below) is seen wearing a back-accessory that allows him to shoot silk strands to grapple walls, Spiderman-style. I imagine it would work kinda like either the Grappling Beam in Super Metroid or the Ivy Whip in Terraria, only hands-free, and it would use energy to produce the threads. I was also thinking you could use it to climb or wall-jump... I'm not sure, so it depends on what Chucklefish is already putting into the game.
    Armor MXo.png

EDIT: I also thought I'd attach a quick image I made to show an Arachneidi from behind. The little dots on his upper back are the four vestigial remains of their ancestral legs, and the red thing is a tongue-like organ of some kind that I though would look cool sticking out.
    Concept Reverse.png

14. DeadlyLuvdisc

In latest news, I added three more armors and realized something awesome yet terrible.

The Avians already use crystals for lighting. You can see them on their starter ships.
    avianship.png

This is awesome, and I really like it, but it means I should probably figure out something else for the Arachneidan lighting scheme. I've also been running into issues with the armor for the Arachneidi. A lot of them seem like they'd be at home with other races, namely the Glitch and Avians. I'm trying to make them more uniquely Mid-Eastern, by using lamellar construction which was mostly popular in the Mid-East for example, but I constantly suspected that Chucklefish will have Glitch armors that will look similar because almost all armor shares similarities with armor from other regions at the same time.

Anyway, big lore update coming up for tomorrow if I have time to finish it. I have a busy day ahead of me.

15. TheBoon

TheBoon Astral Cartographer

This is actually the first species suggestion i really like, you did a good job on the character sprites :)
    I also really like the middle eastern style, could fit very well on a deserty planet.

16. Ado

Ado Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Really nice Race.They have more flavor than the Zahiir in my opinion.I really like them.
    Also they could use glowing acid/poison in jars for the lighting.

17. DeadlyLuvdisc

Maybe I could also focus more on the bio-luminescent animals. Like a jar of glowing bugs, or a big squid in a tube.
    If I do something like that, then I should probably update the look of their homes to look a little bit more modern.

18. lonzo34

lonzo34 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

So verily awesome. I would totally play as this race- just so cool. Keep up the good work.

19. FlamingDragon96

FlamingDragon96 Void-Bound Voyager

Wow, this is the only race I've seen in these suggestions that actually fits the game perfectly. The artwork is just amazing and the theme of their culture is great! If I don't see this race in the full game I will die a little bit inside.

DeadlyLuvdisc and lonzo34 like this.
  20. The Almighty 404

The Almighty 404 Subatomic Cosmonaut

I like the looks of your species, DeadlyLuvdisc. I really hope that the developpers will approach you to add it to the game, as one of their post-release additions.

lonzo34 and DeadlyLuvdisc like this.