1. Welcome to the Art + Literature sections! Some things to keep in mind:
    • It's a good idea to specify whether or not you're looking for critique from your fellow members. Please don't let friendly criticism turn into an all-out flame war.
    • Art and literature often deal with mature subjects. This is fine, but please keep in mind that we'd like to keep things PG-13. Don't let discussions get out of hand, and if they do, please alert a moderator.
    • If you've got a request, please use the [REQUEST] prefix!

The best drawing tablet?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Archangel, Jun 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Archangel

Archangel Void-Bound Voyager

Heyo Starbound people...haven't posted much because I haven't felt the need to ^_^ But now I've been talking to my sister lately who loves to draw. What's the best drawing tablet to buy on a budget? And if money is no object, then what's the best?
    I'm planning on doing some game design myself...and would need a drawing pad, so I figured I'd try and split the cost with her and share.

Thanks,
    Michael

2. Ram

Ram Big Damn Hero

3. Archangel

Little update, I was looking online and thinking the Intuos Medium might be good. Great quality but not super expensive (though $350 is ofc more than id like to spend hehe). Compared to the Bamboo Create, this tablet is twice as accurate, the same size, has multi-touch, and other features that I feel like I'd hate to not have after a few weeks of use. Thoughts?

http://www.wacom.com/products/pen-tablets/intuos/intuos5-touch-medium

Thanks for the reply

4. Cehir

Cehir Master Chief

I use Wacom products for quite a while, without budget limits the Cintiq series is the way to go.
    The real advantage is that your eye and hand coordination can be kept natural.

The Intous have the advantage of being available in different sizes so you can choose the right one for your stroke type.
    With sizes from A6 to A3 this can easily tested on paper first. One other advantage are those different stylus which can enhance the workflow.

Bamboos work quite well, the resolution is good enough to work with and their weight and size make them good companions for notebooks.
    The hardware should be on the same level as the one that is build in the Galaxy Note series (which also comes from Wacom).

I guess nobody heard recently some good news about Aiptec products, to compare them with the Wacom ones xD

5. Archangel

What exactly is a stroke type? Or what do you mean by that
    How can a different stylus enhance workflow?
    I'm not sure exactly what my workflow would consist of yet =p

6. Cehir

Cehir Master Chief

By "stroke type" I mean the way of applying lines to the paper. Some people tend to use short lines to define the basic features of their drawings (on a napkin), others need more space for this process. Last one benefits from bigger tablets.

Regarding the different stylus, one example is the coloring of comics, mangas and stuff like that. Most people tend to use the airbrush tools of their graphic program to apply the color. On a normal pen you bind "opacity" or "brush size" to the pressure-sensitivity. On an airbrush stylus you can add the missing feature to the inbuilt scroll wheel. So you don't have to rely on the heavy use of keyboard shortcuts or clicking in menus. You can read more about it in: http://disraeli-demon.blogspot.de/2008/05/wacom-airbrush.html

And don't forget workflow is for line workers :D

7. danwang

danwang Mop

Buy a XP-PEN Deco Pro https://www.xp-pen.com and save some money without losing quality, seriously, it's the best alternative to Wacom and the price just makes it even better.

8. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

@danwang Please note the date. Necro-posts are only allowed if you remain on topic and the topic is still relevant. Going to lock this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.