Race The Bikhara

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Scaledancer, Mar 16, 2014.

?

So. What do you think homies.

1. Yes. God yes. Take me now.

35.4%
  2. Yeah, I like it.

45.8%
  3. Meh.

8.3%
  4. No thanks.

4.2%
  5. No. God no. I'm out.

6.3%
  1. Scaledancer

Scaledancer Void-Bound Voyager

The Bikhara

(bikhara - Hindi; shattered or dispersed)

[This is a WIP. However, a large part of this is done. Mainly I will be posting tidbits about culture, religion, and visuals of architecture, ships, and clothing. Last Update: 3/16/14]

[​IMG]

The Bikhara are arguably the most isolated of the galaxy’s races. Over thousands of years they have worked to build their societies up to the era of Divine Perfection, thinking nothing of contacting the many inhabitants only sectors away. To the Bikhara, communication means allowing the opportunity for a cultural ‘pollution.’ Because of this fear they have learned to become self sufficient in providing for themselves. At the minimum, they allow travelers to pass through their villages and cities with watchful eyes. Stay for too long or start speaking blasphemy and you will be kicked out rather roughly.​

History

It is said that the Bikhara came into being when The Avettor* took a single gemstone from each world and combined them into a single meteor. The Avettor then sent this meteor off through space at a blinding speed, the multicolored rock finally landing on an arid planet. Upon landing, the meteor once again split into its many pieces and scattered to every corner of the world. From these bright stones came the gift of life, pulling the earth around the crystal to form a body. The gemstones became the hearts of the Bikharan people.

The Bikhara were meant to be a species of stealth and camouflage, finding small prey with their sharp eyes and then attacking with their claws until they became able to defend themselves against the typical predators on any planet. Their skin, often pale and with an almost smooth, marbled texture, is thickly layered to protect themselves from predators. Despite this, they have become a very vain species and refuse to take part in any barbarish types of activities such as hunting. Thus they are a more vegetarian species; meat is a delicacy reserved for the more fortunate.

*The Avettor is the deity they believe in, although there are many colloquial ways a Bikhara may refer to them as. (e.g., The Creator, The All-Knowing, Him, He, etc. Not to be confused with 'They,' the prophets. I'll think of some more creative names later.)

Anatomy

The Bikhara have an odd makeup, mainly concerning their skin and organs. Their skin is thicker than many other races’ and has a smooth texture much like polished marble; the tones of their skin are mostly paler to camouflage with their environment. Most would think it is surprisingly flexible, as the Bikhara are able to move as any other species, but truthfully that is because the skin thins around the joints. (It is also thinner in the upper middle of their chests, right over the heart.) Although this trait allows mobility, it also means there are several weak points upon their body.

Their organs are set differently than a human’s and also are composed of different materials. Typically in a human, it is required that all organs are organic. However, in a Bikhara’s body there are a few points where the organs are not organic, but mineralistic. Most notably, the heart. A Bikhara’s heart is made of dense crystal. Depending on the mineral content in the “heart” of the Bikhara, they will live longer. The heart is surrounded by another organ which absorbs the vitamins and minerals from the crystal and then disperses them throughout the body. It is possible to replace the heart of a Bikhara to allow them to live longer, but often another organ will fail soon after (if the surgery is successful). This is reserved for the very upper class who are deemed important enough to constantly preserve their body. (For more information, see the culture tab.)

Instead of fingers, they have claws, 5 on each hand. (One acts as a thumb.) They are not very effective fingers however, so to use most weapons or machinery they put on gloves that mold to fit snuggly around the claws on the inside but offer more traction on the outside. (I will supply a picture of this.*) Their feet also have claws, but unlike their hands there are only three on each foot. Their toes are spread out to allow better balance. Because of the thick bottoms of their feet, most Bikhara prefer to go barefoot, however sandals are also common.

Bikhara have 4 eyes, the “primary” eyes (the two more towards the center of the face) and the “secondary.” The only difference really is that the secondary eyes have a more effective peripheral vision as they are further on the side of the face. The eyes are typically the same color as the heart.

The notable difference between males and females are their ears, which are shaped differently. Otherwise, they are relatively the same, not counting the muscle mass and hormone differences most species have.

*Here's a sloppy glove example.... My tablet's been acting wacky, so this is what I've got.
    [​IMG]

Culture

The Bikhara are a generally friendlier people the further down you go in the caste system, yet there are exceptions. The lowest caste is also very curious of people who are not from their home cities or villages. Despite this there is a fear that comes with their eagerness to learn from others, so it usually takes either time or encouragement to coax them to come forth. If someone of this nature is found out, it is not uncommon for them to be apprehended by the Prophets as a blasphemer. Most think that they are either killed right away, or tortured for whatever information they discovered and then killed. The lowest caste is not allowed to have books, only The Avettor’s Word (Their Bible, if you will) and things like recipes or to-do lists. Surprisingly, many of the lower caste are relatively happy people, fine enough with living out their lives with their families despite the puppeteers behind their culture and being. Typically they are very loyal to the Prophets and Avettor.

The lowest caste is defined by their shorter crests.​

The middle caste of the Bikhara is notably smaller than the lowest caste. Despite this, they are much more stuck up than the lower caste and do not want intruders polluting their cities and culture. They believe they are superior, both in appearance and in beliefs and most do not humor missionaries from other species for long. They are allowed to have books (if not blasphemous) and wield weapons, and usually will carry them around just as a bragging right. (Usually these weapons are in bad condition, yet they don’t care. A bad weapon is much better than no weapon at all. Most good weapons are reserved for the army or guards.) The middle caste work as weavers or craftsmen, leaving the lower caste to produce the raw materials needed. The very highest of the middle caste are blacksmiths who mold crests. The middle castes are a proud section of the Bikharan people, but this does not excuse them from their religious dedication. They are just as loyal to the Avettor as the lower caste.

The middle caste is defined by their medium-length crests.​

Finally, the highest caste, or the Prophets, are the ones who carry out the Avettor’s word and keep the other castes in line. They are the puppeteers behind every order the “Avettor” gives out. Along with this, they are very small in number. They work as both priests and things such as medicine men, surgeons, and scientists, although these professions are not known of by the classes below them. They also assign crests to young Bikhara at the time of their maturity. They are the ringleaders of the Bikharan society.

The Prophets are defined by their longer crests.​

Okay, you keep saying “crests.” What are they?

Crests are the odd, spiky things you see coming out from the heart in the picture I posted at the top. Their original function was to protect the heart and the important organ surrounding it, but as time went on the wealthier of the Bikharan got fancier crests and the divides began to form. The ones who got the most impressive crests (the longest ones), the Prophets, began reporting an odd sensation and visions that came to them through the vibrations they felt in their crests. They developed a Great Being who served as the creator of the Bikharan people, and announced that they were the Prophets.

The society formed today was created from this idea. When a Bikhara is born, they have no crest and their heart is not visible, instead it is covered by the thinner skin. When a generation of Bikharan people hit the age of maturity the Prophets begin a yearly festival of coming to age. The young Bikhara are taken to the Prophets and then go through a ritual called the “Crestening.” To put it shortly, the Prophets pull away the thin skin in from of the heart, fuse a crest of their choosing onto those going through the ritual, and then send them to the caste they will now be a part of. This process is random for the middle and lower castes, but they are careful of who to choose to be in the Prophets. To be a prophet you must be generally intelligent, but not independent enough to start thinking for yourself...

Bikharan people also tend to paint themselves with patterns. Sometimes this is for festivities and sometimes this is just to add to aesthetics, but you rarely see a Bikhara without paint on their skin. Most prefer for the paint to be vivid in color, contrasting their paler skin tones.

Sprites

(Click the fullversions to see in more detail

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  2. Irium

Irium Yeah, You!

Not bad at all, I definitely vote for this.

3. Scaledancer

Thank you friend! I'm happy you like it!
    I am also open to constructive criticism, to anyone passing by. I should have an example of a basic house and some items (a chest, a doorway) up later today. (3/17)

4. Scaledancer

Added a very simple house.
    [​IMG]
    Not sure I like the building tiles, so I may have some more work to do. I am liking the arched doorways and the table/chair though.
    (Repeating tiles are not fun to make...)

Arched doorways obviously are not very good at keeping monsters out-- These would only be used in cities, beyond the outer walls/guard posts.

5. daws167

daws167 Orbital Explorer

Really cool, you've clearly put a lot of work into this! Keep it up. :)

6. SHFranky

SHFranky Void-Bound Voyager

I like it, they remind me of coral in appearance, and a little in their anatomy as well. I'd probably make a female character and name her Corsola, lol.

7. Scaledancer

Thank you for the kind words! Here's one of the first plantable foods/ingredients the Bikhara grow.

[​IMG]

It's called a shrawlfruit. The reason it got this name is that to get to the sweet, purple fruit you have to pull away at the layers of fibrous covering that protects it.

8. legominer

legominer Void-Bound Voyager

9. Feathery Dust

Feathery Dust Spaceman Spiff

The lack of attention this idea gets just makes me sad, I'd totally play as one if I could!
    You really put a lot of effort into this as well, can't wait to see more! :3

Scaledancer likes this.
  10. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

they actually look like aliens :up:

creca likes this.
  11. Scaledancer

Sorry for my inactivity–– I've once again become interested in Starbound, so expect updates in this thread shortly.

12. MojaveManiac

MojaveManiac Void-Bound Voyager

This looks nothing short of amazing! I wish I could play as one! Keep up the good work.

13. creca

creca Big Damn Hero

One word: yes

14. Warped Perspectiv

Warped Perspectiv Pangalactic Porcupine

15. dark lord derpy

dark lord derpy Big Damn Hero

Any plans for a mod?

16. The Sentient Glitch

The Sentient Glitch Space Hobo

I love the ancient Indian theme. i hope this is a thing.

17. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

I guess that they would most likely be playable, in which case, what would be the PC´s motivation?

18. DianaWinters

DianaWinters Starship Captain

Why is everyone better at making these suggestion posts better than me .-.