Mob The Bugfixers

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Newominus, Apr 29, 2013.

?

What are your thoughts on them?

1. I like them!

79.2%
  2. I don't like them.

6.2%
  3. They look really cool!

46.2%
  4. They look gross

3.8%
  5. They're alright.

13.8%
  1. Crystan

Crystan Maverick Hunter

Hell yeah, the Bow is indeed awesome - been always a big fan of "future high-tech bows".

2. Newominus

Newominus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hey, remember Alpha, Beta and Omega? Yep, you get to have their weapons, as well as have them assist you in battle!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    In addition to this, the sprite for the Bugfixer Sword has been changed, and a shield has also been added (man that shield is small!, sure is).
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. ggh325

ggh325 Subatomic Cosmonaut

This is the third or fourth time I've read this. That's how good this is.

4. Nightmare Nixie

Nightmare Nixie Aquatic Astronaut

These are such awesome enemies! :DD I love how much detail you give the whole idea that they seek to "correct" the glitch's apparent "problem". I love the variety of different enemies that make up the Bugfixer hierarchy as well! Also check out that awesome variety of weapons and armor sets and everything!:up: If this does not end up in the game(which based on the number of votes is kinda slim...:() it should totally be made as a mod!

One of my favorite things though is that you decided to make the weapons and armors act almost identical to how they work on the mobs. I always hated in some games(hint: Halo 1 Wraith Tanks and Halo 2 Wraith Tanks) that the enemy could do certain things that you couldn't given the same resources. It totally makes more sense that given some observation and tinkering that you could figure out how to use those items as well to the same effect. ;)

I only have one real question though. Why exactly are there only 15 votes for this? I believe this deserves much more then that considering the amount of sprite work you have done and the detail you put in that helps to seamlessly integrate into the Starbound lore so far.:D

P.S. That bow looks so awesome! I would have quite a good time messing around with that thing.:up: Oh and funny idea making the "Lasuffid Edalb" being Diffusal Blade spelt backwards.:iswydt:

5. Newominus

Thanks for taking the time to make that moderately long post! As for the votes, there could be multiple factors resulting in its low quantity.

When this thread first started out, mr. Suggestion bot didn't even exist (and he's broken now), which probably helped the newer threads gain more votes as a result,(the massive bosses suggestion has nearly 700 votes) in comparison to other popular old threads, which also have a low vote count.

A suggestion like this also doesn't generate much controversy, as far as I've seen, certainly not as much as race suggestions where everything can go wrong with the race, or be added to and expanded.

Perhaps I put too much thought into this suggestion? Heehee, I'm only joking! Putting less thought in probably won't help, so ill just stick to what I'm doing. The people are only interested in what they are interested in I suppose.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  6. Skippy3

Skippy3 Pangalactic Porcupine

Nice additions so far. Really looking forward to seeing this ingame. I'm really hopeful that this'll be accepted.

7. Newominus

Look at that beast! Its beautiful, its sleek, elegant and... Took a small while to come up with a good design actually.
    It will be replacing the old sprite for the Bugfixer Tank, and as such, the attacks for it have changed to accomidate.
    [​IMG]

Nightmare Nixie likes this.
  8. Skippy3

Skippy3 Pangalactic Porcupine

Looks great, keep up the good work!

9. fabledClockwork

fabledClockwork Subatomic Cosmonaut

If we can hijack their vehicles, I shotgun being the canon Blue Beetle roleplayer. But in all seriousness, this is freaking badass. And Blue Beetle-like. Oh god yes. I must be the Blue Beetle. Sorry for being such a geeky DC fanboy, but with this tech I could be all three iterations of BB.

10. Nightmare Nixie

Sooooo hey, is this going to be a thing as a mod? Or were you mostly just trying to get it noticed by the devs so they would put it in. OR! Are you just waiting for the game to reach a more stable point for mods to be added in that won't have to be updated as often as the game is updated itself? I mostly am asking because I would very much like to see where this is going thus far, and you have put far too much work into this for it not to become at least a mod imo. :D

P.S. This is OT, but I LOVE the new smilies!:laugh: OH and your tank design is awesome too!;)

11. Newominus

Well, you're correct about the stability and yes, im planning at some point to implement this.
    Also, some of the stuff probably won't make it in due to how some things work right now, or plan to work. For example, most of the tech i've created doesn't work with the current tech system. Other things may change to such a degree that you will proabably be sorely dissapointed by.
    I also don't happen to be extremely skilled in modding, but I can learn over time, not in too big a rush right now anyway :p

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  12. Nightmare Nixie

Ah I see. I personally don't have any skill in modding either... If I did, I would probably be knee-deep in projects of my own right now or helping others with theirs. I am wondering why the techs you designed wouldn't work with the current tech system though. Is it because your techs essentially require multiple actions that can be executed from a single tech? If this is the problem, I did see another mod elseware that states that you can have multiple techs working at the same time. Perhaps if you considered it more of a tech "bundle" instead, it might work better? I am unsure if you could make it work that way either though, just an idea.

Oh and of course, since this is an early version of the game, chances are that things will change and improve as time goes on. Not only will things change and improve on the game end, but also the knowledge and understanding of the mod community will most likely improve as well. This will most likely allow discoveries in what mods truly are limited by in terms of what the game actually allows to be modified.

Anyway, if you care to check out the tech mod I was referring to, here is the link: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/four-techs-at-once-ultratech.43343/

I hope this may help with your idea, if not, well I tried at least heh.

Nixie

P.S. I just realized something else as well. The fact that you will have to eventually translate those bars you have on the items relating to how strong they are to concrete number values. I believe this probably won't be too difficult to do for two reasons though. The first reason is that you already have a template laid out for how your items will relate to each other on every attribute. The second good thing about this is that you can most likely just work off of what tier your items are meant to be from, and just use the data values the devs set for those items for your own. Then you can use the values found from these items and translate those numbers roughly to the other items you won't have data values for. However, I believe that the bow might be the hardest weapon to balance out. This is mainly due to the fact that the last bow you are allowed to craft right now is the Steel bow, which is in like tier 1 or 2. I would say your gear set is probably more around tiers 6-7 or something.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  13. Newominus

I've seen that mod around before, but the problem with most of my techs would simply be because they are passive bonuses, and not actual abilities you can use. Will the current trend of active ability tech change? I'll just have to wait and see.

14. Nightmare Nixie

Ah I see. Well, what you could do for them, provided this will even be possible, is to make the effect "toggle-able". In this way, you could simply select the tech from your list, and press the corresponding hotkey to activate that tech. This leads us to a problem though. Since so far it seems you need to have techs "active" to actually use them in vanilla game play, you would have no choice but to use a mod like that one I posted. I don't know if that would allow you to activate one tech and then switch to another tech without the effect deactivating though...:(

15. flamedance58

flamedance58 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Wow talk about detailed!

Really gotta hand it to you, you went all the way to the endzone and past that :D

16. Read through all of it actually. Hope this makes it into the game as well. With the Rise of The Hylotl mod and the potential of this I'm already impressed by the mod community.

17. Dargona1018

Dargona1018 Existential Complex

What I find quite interesting, Sir Newominus, is that the vote at the top of the page has almost 100 votes for "I like them!" but only about 30 in the suggestions voting area. I think something that will help is if you make the "Vote for it!" thing closer to the top, so people don't just look at sprites.

Also, how would someone be able to implement something like this into the game? It would need to be a whole boss battle (in some sense) or a vast dungeon to be able to get the whole experience of battling these BugFixers.
    At the same time, it could be brought in as a whole planet-dungeon thing.

This whole idea brings in opportunities of dungeons, quests, and other things that I think someone here should focus on. If it's looked less at as an army of mobs and more of a race of superior humanoid robots sent in to fix the bug that is the Glitch. This will bring things like Space Stations and such into the equation, with incredible variables.

There is enough here to possibly even make into a game. Hahahaha

18. Newominus

But my sprites are oh so pretty! Anyway, while I appreciate the support, my interests in the games I play have shifted a little, ill probably return to this idea later on.

19. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

I gotta say, I'm somewhat entralled by the idea. My only criticism is that some of the images in the OP are not showing, which sorta ruins my ability to imagine those images in-game. Overall, I'd say it's an idea that Chucklefish should consider implementing into vanilla!