1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

WIP The Gallavoir: Gardevoir/Gallade in Starbound

Discussion in 'Races' started by Mackinz, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Notice: In light of recent suggestions by certain parties, I feel the need to post Permissions for this WIP mod. These will not affect general users, so do not worry.

Looking for people to join the project.
    School is such a distraction!
    Mostly Spriters, but Coders are welcome too.

Current Team:

Mackinz
    laz2727
    SixtySomething

How long have you been waiting for this? My guess is since Starbound was released.

I know I've been waiting for it since then, but I've heard nothing on the forums about anyone making any headway, so I decided to try to make it myself. I've made some headway, but with school as a daily time-sink I've had little time for modding recently. Along with BetterMerchants and other possible ventures I may start on, I've decided it was about time I sucked it up and started to ask for help on this.

The Gallavoir are, essentially, Gardevoir and Gallade from the Pokemon series, changed to fit into the design of Starbound and its lore.

Gallavoirian Lore

The lore of the Gallavoir goes back only one hundred years.

Before discovery by the Apex, the Gallavoir (at this point unnamed) had existed on their planet for many centuries, long enough for certain otherwise familiar features to become vestigial. They lived as a gatherer race, at peace with the fauna of their home-world, with mythology that attempted to explain their existence.

Until the Apex came along, it seemed that this race was going to stick around their planet for however many centuries, possibly until the star their planet orbited went supernova. In a way, the Gallavoir were lucky to be found, but the situation was not so simple.

The Apex came upon the Gallavoir, had initially nice conversation, and eventually persuaded the new race to allow some of them to return with the Apex, back to their exploration base. Upon return to this base, a Miniknog Exploration and Testing Facility on the moon of an unnamed planet, the party of Gallavoir were locked into separate rooms and experimented upon with various tools and tests. The test results revealed something that the Apex had not seen before: a subconcious psionic link between each test subject that allowed them to keep the others calm.

Eventually, the Miniknog ordered that the test subjects be experimented upon using the “Vestigi-Evo Process”, or VEP, to further the technology of the Apex. In the experiments, all but two of the test subjects died... the remaining two, a male and a female, ended up causing an explosion of psychic power after breaking out of the containment units. Along with a rebellious Apex scientist from the facility, the two managed to wipe all traces of the Gallavoir from the Apex facility databases, as well as from the memories of the personnel, and stole the Apex exploration ship to escape... not before stuffing as much Apex weaponry as would fit inside.

Back on their home-world, the two, Gardevoir and Gallade as they preferred to be called, became the leaders of the newly named Gallavoir, and set out to direct their kind in a war against the Apex.

Project Status: Not Even Close To Finished

As far as race mods go, the Gallavoir are simply select-able at the character creation menu (provided you have a character creation extender mod), have some decent sprite-sheets, have a smaller custom ship (currently WIP... also not made by me), have some nice lore (as shown above), and have a nice looking flag. For an underachiever, this would probably be enough for initial release status, but, with much more complete races available, I'd prefer to get more done before I really release the race.

What I have planned incorporates the race fully into the game. Things like one-handed Arm Blades that appear at the back of the arm sprite, Psi-Guns which take the latent psionic energy (a.k.a. Energy) of the Gallavoir and turn it into various Pokemon attacks (like Confusion, Psychic, Shadow Ball, Energy Ball, Moonblast, etc.), racial armors based off of vanilla armors combined with the dress of Gardevoir (one for each tier, as well as decorative ones with Copper through Diamond), awesome techs like an enhanced and renamed Targeted Blink tech (with through-block teleporting) and "Heritage Overdrive" (WIP name) techs which turn energy into enhanced damage, and a rideable Ponyta-like object as inspired by this mod.

When it comes to ideas, I've got plenty of them. From Native American-inspired villages to underground guerrilla warfare bunkers, ideas are in no short supply.

But time and skills are in short supply. I am one person, currently in the middle of a college semester, who works part-time in the mornings and is really only good at writing, brainstorming, and some JSON coding. I still haven't figured out LUA coding, and have little experience when it comes to artistry on a pixel-by-pixel level.

Screenshots
    Snapshots of Gallavoir selection: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
    Snapshots of Gallavoir Ship (WIP): 1

:paper: Current Features:
    • Fully sprited bodies and faces for male and female characters
    • Custom character creation gender icons
    • Extensive color selections at character creation
    • Fully working emotions
    • Borrowed Hairstyles (Human), Starter Clothing (Hylotl), Starter Crop and Recipes (Avian), and Tiered Stuff (Apex)
    • Custom Hairstyles based off of the entire Ralts family
    • Custom Codex entries for Origins, Escape and Prologue
    • Custom Starter Quest
    • Racial Flag with custom inspect text (for all races)
    • Unique starter weapons
    • Custom Oran Berry farmable crop
    :confirm: WIP Features:
    • Villager Spawner
    • Hydroponics block
    :confirm: Short Term Goals:
    • Revamp Ship
    • Finish Hydroponics block
    • More color choices
    • Starter Berry Crop
      • Oran Berry, based off of Pokemon XY Models. Image references: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
    • Starter Clothing
      • at least one set, based off of the "clothing" of Ralts, Kirlia, or Gardevoir random ideas I might have
    • Starter Weapon(s)
      • Two weak one-handed Arm Blades, and one WIP Psi-Gun w/ "confusion" projectile
    • Starter Weapon upgrades
      • Possibly using Core Fragments
    :cancel: Mid Term Goals:
    • Custom Name Gen
    • More new Berry crops
    • New food recipes
    • Fully custom decorative and tiered armors and clothing
    • Tiered Weaponry (Swords, Hammers, Guns, etc.)
    • Rideable Ponyta/Rapidash/etc. objects
    • More?
    :cancel:: Long Term Goals:
    • Villages and microdungeons
    • Various Techs
    • Respawn animation
    • Dunno

animations
    • Gallavoir Weapon Animations - 0%
    • Other Animations - 0%
    augments
    • Custom Stat Boosts - 0%
    • Other Augments - 0%
    cinematics
    • Introductions - 0%
    • Respawn - 0%
    codex
    • Escape - 95%
    • Origins - 95%
    • Prologue - 95%
    • Other Codexes - 0%
    dungeons
    • Gallavoir Village - 0%
    • Gallavoir Dungeon - 0%
    • Gallavoir MicroDungeons - 0%
    • Other Dungeons - 0%
    effects
    • Custom Status Effects - 0%
    humanoid
    • Male Body Sprite - 75%
    • Male Head Sprite - 95%
    • Male Hairs - 20%
    • Female Body Sprite - 75%
    • Female Head Sprite - 95%
    • Female Hairs - 20%
    • Front Arms - 75%
    • Back Arms - 75%
    • Emoticons - 75%
    • dead.png - 95%
    interface
    • Character Selection Images - 95%
    items
    • Starter Sword - 75%
    • Tiered Weapons - 0%
    • Starter Gun - 0%
    • Tiered Guns - 0%
    • Starter Clothes - 0%
    • Tiered Armors - 0%
    • Gallavoir Materials - 2%
    • Gallavoir Crops - 20%
    • Other Items - 10%
    npcs
    • Custom Gallavoir NPCs - 0%
    • Gallavoir Villager Interact Text - 0%
    objects
    • Gallavoir Starter Crop (Oran Berry) - 95%
    • Gallavoir Other Crops - 0%
    • Gallavoir Flag - 75%
    • Gallavoir Villager Spawner - 0%
    • Gallavoir Village Objects - 0%
    • Gallavoir Ship Objects - 0%
    • Ponyta Object - 0%
    • Rapidash Object - 0%
    • Other Rideables - 0%
    quests
    • Gallavoir Starter Quest - 95%
    • Other Quests - 0%
    recipes
    • For Gallavoir Weapons - 0%
    • For Gallavoir Clothing - 0%
    • For Gallavoir Armors - 0%
    • For Gallavoir Blocks - 0%
    • For Gallavoir Foods - 0%
    • For Gallavoir Objects - 5%
    • Other Recipes - 0%
    particles
    • Gallavoir Projectile Particles - 0%
    • Other Particles - 0%
    projectiles
    • Gallavoir Gun Projectiles - 0%
    • Other Projectiles - 0%
    sfx
    • Male Gallavoir Injured - 5%
    • Female Gallavoir Injured - 5%
    ships
    • Gallavoir Custom Ship - 70%
    • Gallavoir Ship Upgrades - 0%
    species
    • Custom Default Blueprints - 0%
    • Gallavoir Color Schemes - 80%
    • Gallavoir Name Generator - 0%
    tech
    • Custom Teleport Tech - 0%
    • Ralts Booster Tech - 0%
    • Kirlia Booster Tech - 0%
    • Gardevoir Booster Tech - 0%
    • Gallade Booster Tech - 0%
    • Mega-Gardevoir Booster Tech - 0%
    • Ponyta/Rapidash/Other Riding Tech - 0%
    • Other Tech - 0%
    tiles
    • Gallavoir Materials - 2%
    • Other Materials - 0%
    treasurepool
    • Custom Ship Treasure Pool - 95%
    • Village Treasure Pool - 0%
    • Other Treasure Pool - 0%

Download

This is the current version of the Gallavoir race. Install it like any other mods. Download includes base Gallavoir mod. Install like any other mod.

Please leave feedback and suggestions below. Contact me through my forum inbox if you would be interested in helping bring the Gallavoir to fruition, or have submissions. Anyone who helps with this mod will recieve credit on the mod release page.

Permissions

Mod Pack Permissions:
    • You must get the author's consent before including this mod in a compilation.
    Mod Assets Permissions:
    • You must get the author's consent before altering/redistributing any assets included in this mod.

Basically, please just let me know if you wish to include the mod in a Mod Pack, and please make sure to ask before you distribute a modification of these assets. In particular, however, I will not allow anyone to distribute an "Enhanced Body Shape" (EBS) or "Extra Enhanced Body Shape" (EEBS) version of the Gallavoir, ever, so too bad. :/

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  2. the420urchin

the420urchin Pangalactic Porcupine

Man these look great. Haven't play tested it but love how you gave them starbound lore and didn't just make it a playable pokemon race.

Mackinz likes this.
  3. Mackinz

Oh wow, thanks for replying! I was just about to post an update to this thread regarding my new mod Rattan because it is a crop for the Gallavoir I decided to make and release separately.

Hopefully, more feedback will roll in now that you've started the cascade. :)

Starbound playa likes this.
  4. MrMadmanx2

MrMadmanx2 Cosmic Narwhal

I may study this race over time. but I am here to support

Mackinz likes this.
  5. Mackinz

Thanks! It means a lot. :)

Also, I just brainstormed something about the ship during class. I'll get to figuring out how ships are made soon.

6. the420urchin

starstructor makes things way easier. start there.

7. Mackinz

I tried using it for a few minutes. Could not figure out how to use both vanilla and modded assets at the same time... and my brainstorm requires custom assets. Going off of established Prologue lore, the characters ship will be broken down and in need of repair to function to its fullest capacity.

8. the420urchin

Well either way, I would reccomend waiting as that is what will be happening with the progression update. You will start in a broken down ship and fix and upgrade it. So minus well wait till they release that before working on any extensive ship structures. Though I assume the ships now will be the first step after fixing your ship, so you probably safe building one of that based off that size for the broken and fixed first level. Starstructor is really simple, you just have to understand how to edit ships to use it. There's a tutorial around here somewhere, once you read that starstructor should be simple. Brushes are objects and such, so the adding brush part is how you add new objects. Point it towards your unpacked assets folder to make it easier, that way you can just search and select both vanilla and mod objects. Im always here to help if you need it as well.

9. Mackinz

I know about the progression update. That's why I want to make a broken-down ship in the first place! In fact, I based the prologue of the 'voir on having a broken ship in need of repair when I made the prologue.

Plus, I want to make custom assets. I want a decked out custom ship. I have ideas on paper that I want to put into pixels and code.

And I want to make tiered ships.

Can you give me a link to that tutorial?

10. MrMadmanx2

MrMadmanx2 Cosmic Narwhal

anytime

Mackinz likes this.
  11. the420urchin

Here ya go - http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/how-to-mod-your-ship.36915/

Mackinz likes this.
  12. Mackinz

Okay, I've gotten the ship to a decent point, building off the original design while combining it with parts from the Human ship. I've also fixed an issue I hadn't noticed earlier regarding blinking and sleeping. Before my next WIP release, I hope to create some more color schemes and edit male hairs to accommodate their ears.

Also, I will be including an updated version of the Hydroponics block and the current version of my Rattan crop mod with the download.

If anyone is a decent clothing spriter and is interested in this race, contact me please.

Thanks for that. I was hoping it was a StarStructor tutorial, but that works.

13. Starbound playa

Starbound playa Pangalactic Porcupine

hey mackins do you like this pic i found?

Gardevoir.jpg

14. Mackinz

It's a nice picture and all, but I personally prefer this one:

GardevoirSprite.png

Why? Obviously because it's a Starbound character! One that you can run around the universe with.

Today, I am updating the Gallavoir download.

Before I add the updated download link, please make sure to mine up and throw away any of the old Hydroponics blocks you may have crafted in the last version. This is seriously important, unless you are okay with losing characters or worlds with the placed block.

It is recommend, with this and each subsequent update, to start a new character. In this case, it will give you access to the new ship, new seeds, new hairstyles, and new colors.

Major features of this update:

New Color Schemes!
    gallavoirbodycolors.png
    New Ship!
    gbigship.png
    New Hairstyles! (No previews, sorry)

• Improved custom ship
    • Improved color choices considerably
      • See colorchoices.png for a full list
      • Added a new base color for hairs and bodies
    • Removed a number of hairstyles from the possible selections for males
      • Customized the rest to accomodate male ears
    • Added a few custom hairstyles
      • Gallade (Male)
      • Gardevoir (Unisex)
      • Mega-Gardevoir (Female)
      • Kirlia (Unisex)
      • Kirlia No Horns (Unisex)
      • Ralts (Unisex)
      • Ralts No Horns (Unisex)
    • Added "Rattan" dependency
      • Added Rattan Seeds to base Shiplocker
    • Changed starter sword to a one-handed weapon
      • Added another sword to base Shiplocker
      • Expect changes in the future to image
    • Integrated old GallavoirHydroponics mod into main mod
      • Updated Hydroponics block and tiles to a different item name and materialID. If you made any of the old Hydroponic blocks before this version, you should mine and trash them now.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
    Starbound playa and ___MeRliN___ like this.
  15. the420urchin

I hear ya, but really that's all you need to know. Starstructor is simply a unified editing program. It's super simple, it's just allows you to edit the png files in a linked and properly sized way, with things laid out how it would look in starbound. I'd be glad to go over the program a bit with you via pm or skype when you have the time, shouldn't take to long. Just let me know.

16. ___MeRliN___

___MeRliN___ Guest

Omg I am loving Gardevoirs so much... not in the weird way, but they are so damn adoreable ^^

Thanks for making this mod become real

Starbound playa and Mackinz like this.
  17. Mackinz

Nice to see you finally responded to the thread, Merlin. Glad you're enjoying it!

Onto a status update. No, I am not dead (not that anyone asked), and this project is not dead. Next week is finals week for me, and it's been a bitch, with homework ans projects eating into my free time. At this rate, there probably won't be an update to this mod for a couple weeks (sorry)!

However, just because I can't code/sprite due to time restrictions does not mean I haven't been gathering ideas. In fact, as I have an android phone and am semi-free during work hours, I have been looking up pertinent information and images to help me develop my ideas for the Gallavoir while I can't put them to pixels.

First off, I'm not sure I mentioned this before but I am going to make the Gallavoir a mixture of traditional Malaysian culture and Native American culture, mixed in with guerilla warfare.

I've found some interesting house designs online, and have some ideas for villages already.

I've also started on starter clothing. Malaysian culture is a melting pot of quite a few cultures and religions, and the clothing choices reflect that. Here is my first reference image:

[​IMG]

I've already started/completed spriting on the second (from the left) male outfit. I was going to start work on the female counterpart on Saturday/Sunday but I never got around to it. Aside from small changes in the pixel layout, I plan on introducing Dye Mod compatibility as I create the clothing.

If anyone has any other starter clothing suggestions, please don't be shy.

In addition to starter clothing imagery, I've also collected for interesting Gardevoir fan-art... no, not that kind, you sicko. Actually, there is quite a bit of nice clothing depictions and inspirations on some of the Gardevoir fan-art. I'd share them, but I'd figure it'd be a major spoiler. ;)

Please feel free (as in, don't be shy) to leave some feedback or suggestions! Ciao for now!

18. ___MeRliN___

___MeRliN___ Guest

2nd to the left kinda looks like people trying to cosplay as Gallade and Gardevoir... nah these cultures hit them pretty well ^^

Interesting Gardevoir fanart? ;) ;)... nvm :( Haha no I am not of that kind... I am kinda confused how many people put that beauty in a maid dress with a way too short skirt and exposing lots of skin at the waist and so on...
    Hope that was creepy enough for you to activate safer search when looking for fanart ^^

Anyways glad to see that you are still there, I know about those exams... nasty annoying and just another barrier... except its chemestry (atleast for me) ^^

About not being shy to give honest opinions: The right one... the female. The one on the right side: That remembers me of that creepy fanart I have found on gardevoir... her wearing some similar dress and eating a fruit rich of potassium while blushing... explicit enough? That creeped the hell out of me...

Mackinz likes this.
  19. Mackinz

Do you have any, though? I've been watching my Pokemon facebook pages for some good stuff, and I've found some... but I'd like a bit more. As long as it's SFW.

I actually like the idea of a maid dress though. I'm thinking of making this an outfit too.:

pokemon__282_gardevoir__maid_ver___by_kaoricchi-d64m6lf.png

I wish it was Chemistry. Taking that again next semester.

No, what I have now is Biology (e_e), Calculus, and Anthropology. I'm mostly worried about bio, but anthro has a paper due so yeah. Calc is easy.

It's "Banana". B a n a n a. Just because it's also a euphemism for penis does not mean you cannot say banana.

Not sure why that one outfit would be reminding you of the Rule 34 you've encountered, though. It seems very tame and covered up.

Starbound playa and ___MeRliN___ like this.
  20. ___MeRliN___

___MeRliN___ Guest

That gardevoir is too humanized in that fanart <. < rather having them humanoid and close to the original and then costumes. .. their pale white skin and scarlet red eyes are so gorgeous with that well formed feminin body... ehm i stop here before some accident happens... including a platinum rod... No not that kind of rod...

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2014