1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED The Grass Mod 3.1 Update for SB 1.1.1

Any grass on any block.

1. Dragon_Tom005

Dragon_Tom005 Existential Complex

Is there a way to grow grass on sand? I know how if you go to an ocean planet, you can find grass growing on the sand, but from what I've experienced, there wasn't really any way to grow it back, again.

2. Markelius

Markelius Space Kumquat

Hey all, so I've been playing Glad Giraffe the past few days, and I've also been working on an update to this mod to bring it more up to snuff with regards to the game's current implementation of grass growing.

The new version currently has functionality allowing you to throw grass seeds/samples at tilled irrigated soil to grow more grass, some grasses (such as flesh grass) don't need to be grown on tilled soil so you can grow them on literally any block you want. Additionally, I'm working on adding "grass packets" which you'll craft with 1 seeds, 1 dirt, and 1 healing water, and these can be grown on any surface.

I'll probably hold off on the update until I implement throwable seed/sample and packets for all the matmods which aren't included in the mod right now such as undergrowth, moss, and flower grass. The advantage this mod will have over vanilla and even over the mods which just add more seeds is that you'll be able to grow these on any surface (the grass packets anyways) and you don't have to buy the seeds at Terramart, you can just find them in the world.

What I'm wondering though is what I should do with the old tile system this mod worked(works) with. There's still a bunch of blocks you can create with seeds and tiles which can be used to create neat things and if I removed them any worlds which people had placed the grass blocks in would become irreparably corrupted. I'm thinking of keeping the blocks in the mod but discontinuing development of new tiles in favour of the new system.

In short, I probably won't axe anything from the mod, but no new tiles will be made. Otherwise, keep on the look out for a new update coming probably within the next week! This one's gonna be good people! :)

crazygreggy and Dragon_Tom005 like this.
  3. Dragon_Tom005

Dragon_Tom005 Existential Complex

*Heavy breathing* :nuruhype:

4. Markelius

Markelius Space Kumquat

Markelius updated Grassification Station with a new update entry:

On towards 3.0!

Read the rest of this update entry...

5. Markelius

Markelius Space Kumquat

Markelius updated The Grass Mod with a new update entry:

It's a big deal or something?

6. emeraldgreen72

emeraldgreen72 Phantasmal Quasar

ummmmm but all you need to do to plant grass in the normal game is plow and water some land then throw grass or flower seeds on it

7. Markelius

Markelius Space Kumquat

There are over 30 grasses in the game. With vanilla grass seeds & flower grass seeds you can only plant regular grass and flower grass, and only on tilled irrigated soil. With my mod you can grow any grass on any surface if you play your cards right.

8. GoldenstarArtist

GoldenstarArtist Cosmic Narwhal

Any news on whether this mod will be compatible with the upcoming July 22nd 1.0 update?

Sidenote: Colorful grass is currently bugged, the throwable item is requesting a splash effect that doesn't exist (noticed it's easily fixed by changing the name to the correct one however)

9. MsBadger

MsBadger Big Damn Hero

Wanted to ask this as well. Are there plans for a 1.0 compatible update in the near future? Love this mod :)

10. GoldenstarArtist

Two months later and still missing this mod </3

11. Markelius

Markelius Space Kumquat

Hey, how does the mod work in the current version of the game? Are there any crashes or errors? Are there any new grasses added in 1.0 which need to be added in this mod?
    Could you explain this? Post the error from Starbound.log and/or explain what you did to fix it. I haven't played Starbound for a while so I'm unfamiliar with what has changed in 1.0.

12. Markelius

Markelius Space Kumquat

Okay, so I've tested the mod in 1.1 and taken a look at how the game handles the grass projectiles, and it seems I only need to make a few superficial changes to the mod to fix it. Mostly, the issues are since they changed the syntax in projectile files, this caused the projectiles added in the mod to no longer function. Fortunately, it's a simple fix and I should get it working in no time, Secondly, the crafting stations the game uses changed, so I just have to add my recipes to the right list to have the grass lab show up. After that, it should be smooth sailing assuming everything else works. It probably won't be that simple, but since this mod doesn't rely on any kind of heavy scripting, it should be nothing I can't handle. Hopefully I should have the mod updated to 1.1 by Friday. :)

13. GoldenstarArtist

Yay! Look forward to it!

14. Markelius

Markelius Space Kumquat

Okay, the port to 1.1.1 is done. I want to make some gifs of how the whole system works (it's the same as before, but I still had making gifs on my todo list for a while anyway), but once I do that I'll post the update. Look forward to it in the next couple days!

15. Markelius

Markelius Space Kumquat

Markelius updated The Grass Mod with a new update entry:

Starbound 1.1.1 Update!

16. amirmiked12

amirmiked12 Parsec Taste Tester

can u cover FU grass???that would be awsome

17. Markelius

Markelius Space Kumquat

Nope. I don't officially build support for FU into any of my mods, it's too much extra added to my workload.

18. Alepod

Alepod Void-Bound Voyager

upload_2018-7-1_18-51-10.png
    Why lowercase "farmable"?