The Magical Thread of Slimy Awesomeness

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LuthienNightwolf, Dec 18, 2016.

1. LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

My game is winding down, so today I tossed a purple egg into the incubator up where my Reds are. We'll see how much one purple slime can expand their population in a season and a half.

• musical74

musical74 Space Kumquat

Slimes everywhere thank Slime Goddess LuthienNightwolf for treating them as equals and more than just something to farm for money. Thanks to her efforts, the people of Pelican Town have started to accept slimes as members of the community and there is rumor of a slime wanting a position within the city proper!

LuthienNightwolf likes this.
      • LuthienNightwolf

Looks like Marnie is getting in on the slimy action. :up:

Marnie Slimes.png

TaleSpinnerGames, Ipielle and Jerev like this.
        • Jerev

Jerev Pangalactic Porcupine

Not sure if it is trickery on your end or a mod, but nicely done :iswydt:

• LuthienNightwolf

lol Neither actually, just your standard slime glitch. They tend to get into areas where they aren't meant to be when populations get high enough. In this case, Marnie's yard became an unintended breeding ground.

TaleSpinnerGames likes this.
            • musical74

musical74 Space Kumquat

I like that the cow seems totally unconcerned that her area has been invaded by slimes, like "Slimes are here? That's fine!" Maybe there will be a scene where a cow and a slime are discussing interesting topics next?

• MouseyPounds

MouseyPounds Cosmic Narwhal

Abigail believes this thread should be revived:

[​IMG]

• LuthienNightwolf

I think she's been browsing our forum and getting ideas. lol

musical74 likes this.
                  • musical74

musical74 Space Kumquat

Abby's always been the adventurous one, I'm sure a slime ranch has crossed her mind before!

• Jerev

Jerev Pangalactic Porcupine

It's a trap! She just wants you to hatch her some targets for her sword training.

Ipielle likes this.
                      • Ipielle

Ipielle Title Not Found

Or she wants to try a new hair dye out of slimy awesomeness?

• MouseyPounds

MouseyPounds Cosmic Narwhal

So what's the best approach to building up enough of an egg collection to get a colony started? I'm interested in raising purples at the railroad, but of course I have mostly green & blue eggs. Should I hatch all the low tier eggs in the hutch to make slime balls for more goo to feed the egg press or focus on skull cavern runs with a burglar ring?

• LuthienNightwolf

I usually get my slime from killing them in the mines, but using greens as a steady supply isn't a bad idea either.

Once you have at least one male and one female you'll quickly reach a point where you won't need eggs anymore.

• alyssadower

alyssadower Void-Bound Voyager

This thread has been the highlight on my morning,
                              and here I was thinking slime ranching would be miserable, how wrong i was.

• musical74

musical74 Space Kumquat

Thought crossed my mind: if you have a slime ranch and a jumino hut on the farm, do they interact? It would be interesting to see how they would react to each other! *looking at the jumino plushie I have and thinking it looks kind of like a slime*

• wronghandle

wronghandle Star Wrangler

When raising slimes in the greenhouse, trellised crops are the fencing of choice. Pretty and productive - and you can swing a sword right through them to thin the herd without even opening the gate. (There's a layout that leverages this if anyone's interested.)

By now I'm reasonably certain that the slimes don't reproduce unless I'm actually in the greenhouse. My flock is flourishing though, so the time I spend in there doing ordinary greenhouse stuff seems enough. Of course, it probably helps that I keep accidentally tearing the gate off its hinges. Then they swarm me & block the space so I can't put the gate back, and I have to lure them away from the gap before making a mad dash back in hopes of installing the gate before they block the space again. (It's pure Buster Keaton. I spent this for 2 in-game hours today running around with a gate held over my head. Welcome to the world, baby slime.)

• TaleSpinnerGames

TaleSpinnerGames Industrial Terraformer

Oh my. I just read through this entire thread and... I am clearly going to need to up my slime game... I think some of my old "late game" saves may be getting some more attention soon! LuthienNightwolf, your screen shots alone were more than worth the time reading through 19 pages of posts! So many unexpected color combinations! And so many possible locations! Love it!

I will present my own humble contribution for your amusement:

Starbound Sailor Moon likes this.
                                    • TaleSpinnerGames

TaleSpinnerGames Industrial Terraformer

I made the same slime incubator position mistake independently. Did not think of repeating it to try to create a void colony. Mine seems to be stuck in one position rather than moving around in the void... did you ever follow up on this? What was the result? (Edit: never mind, found your follow-up post.)

• Vgray37

Vgray37 Void-Bound Voyager

Update on my now budding slime population!

Slime Pen4.png

I finally got this save working again after 2.0 borked it. I updated late, not figuring it was worth the trouble, since GOG makes you download the whole installer again. I updated SMAPI ((Having stopped launching the game with it so not to cause problems)) without updating any mods, so of course no mods loaded, but somehow that fixed my save.

• Cramped Sultana

Cramped Sultana Big Damn Hero

Did they patch the game (I'm on the PS4) where you can no longer breed slimes in town? I started a new game, and put incubators in town twice now (in areas not likely for NPCs to walk into them) and both times they vanished. I can still breed them fine in Cindersap. I'm trying to breed them on my farm but so far my one male slime has gone off on his own and refuses to go anywhere near my five female ones. *shrugs*