The Magical Thread of Slimy Awesomeness

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LuthienNightwolf, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Seismothesaurus

Seismothesaurus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I haven't seen anything about a patch and I'm not sure why that would be patched out unless it's a side effect of the next update that's going to come out. Are you sure that they weren't in NPC paths? This album is really useful for finding the safe spots. I think the pathing would probably be the same across platforms?

• Zanthe

Zanthe Void-Bound Voyager

It suddenly makes sense why all the spouses have unique weapons in the game files.

ManaUser likes this.
      • Cramped Sultana

Cramped Sultana Big Damn Hero

Thank you. That helped. I thought my spots would be safe but I guess they weren't. Things are good now. Even though I have multiple colors, a whole family of Greens have set up housekeeping in Mayor Lewis' backyard. The colony is small compared to my Cindersap Infestation, where adorably for the second game now all my slimes near Leah's house think everyone's name is Leah. I missed getting a screen-shot (darn it) of them greeting Willie with a cheery "Good afternoon, Leah!" I love when the colonies split off: a bunch of purples have taken over where the spring onions grow near the sewer grate. The ones around Leah's house are a mixed bag of colors. There is a magenta one that is always trying to break into Marnie's house, and a bunch of lavender ones have established themselves at the wizard's tower. There is nothing quite like the joy of fishing on a beautiful summer day while slimes get their freak on and reproduce next to you.

Seismothesaurus likes this.
        • Starbound Sailor Moon

Starbound Sailor Moon Industrial Terraformer

This thread is amazing and has actually given me an interest in playing with slimes more. LIVE THREAD LIVE! SPREAD THE SLIME LORE! :lickitung: I wish @ConcernedApe would confirm that was the Easter egg! It's long over due.

*Runs away before she gets slime egged for necroing awesomeness.* :kitten:

• musical74

musical74 Space Kumquat

"Momma slime (the big one) chases Sailor Moon with a slime egg"

I THINK the OP isn't here anymore but that doesn't mean we can't praise how wonderful the slimes are! Have you ever seen slimes want to et it on in the mines? It's funny to behold!

• Starbound Sailor Moon

I didn't see it in the mines, BUT I did see it in my hutch. Which I can no longer enter until I get the slime ring. :speechless: They've killed me twice, and I'm just trying to water them!

A cool thing though: I got a brown slime! His name is Pooper. :poke::poo:

Attached Files:

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Use fences inside the Slime Hutch to block off a path between the door and the watering troughs. The Slimes inside the pen don't actually need physical access to the water supply; it's enough for the game engine to simply know that it's there. It'll be helpful to leave a gate in the fence if you need to enter the pen to collect slime or cull. Of course, having the Ring makes it soooo very much easier all around.

Starbound Sailor Moon likes this.
                • Ltfightr

Ltfightr Subatomic Cosmonaut

You can also use some of the craftable items like the campfire to build a barrier to the water.

• Starbound Sailor Moon

Great idea! Thanks. <3 I just gave up watering the little fellas. Working on my slime slaughter count.

• Amit Y Ville

Amit Y Ville Space Hobo

I want the purple slimes to farm Iridium. Anyone else doing this or is it a waste of time?

• Lorekeeper of Wyverns

Lorekeeper of Wyverns Void-Bound Voyager

So hi! I know I'm late here, but reading through this thread inspired me to breed slimes in my main profile. If I remember, I have a small colony in Pelican town (and by small, I mean small, maybe five), and I'm hoping to start one up by the railroad.

Honestly, I think you'd just be better off going to the Skull Caverns. I tried to get a purple slime egg a while back just so I could have every main colour in my hutch, and I went through so many days without success before I finally got one. It's one thing if you can get a male and female easily and keep on breeding them until you have a massive colony of purple slimes. However, if you can't get the eggs easily because they're a rare drop and I believe when making slime eggs purple are the rarest, not to mention that you have to rely on RNG to get a male and female in the first place, I would say just keep on going on Skull Cavern runs. If your experience is like mine, then you'll get a good amount of iridium before you ever find the egg. And unless it's different with bred slimes, if I recall, iridium isn't a guaranteed drop, either, so there's that to factor in, too.

Of course, if you still want to do it just for the heck of it, go right ahead! Nothing's stopping you. Just saying that it might be easier to just go to the Skull Caverns and grind off the limitless slimes there if all you want is the iridium.

Amit Y Ville likes this.
                        • Starbound Sailor Moon

I have to agree with Lorekeeper, it's not really worth it. The amount of iridium that's dropped by slimes also seems on the low side; you could probably slaughter an entire hutch and have 1 or 2 slimes give you anything. I was however lucky in getting a purple slime egg from a compressor in my 4th attempt (haven't gotten any since), but if you really want some, build a hutch so slime eggs will drop, and go to Skull Caverns to farm.

The easiest, most assured way to acquire iridium is get a 4 candle rating from grandpa. After that you'll have a surplus of iridium. Second way is to farm Skull Cavern as mentioned.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

While all this is true from a math standpoint, there are other places to breed Purple Slimes than in the Slime Hutch!
                            goo2.png

Outdoor slime colonies can reach enormous population densities, especially in areas like the Cindersap (Where they will happily spread into the river nearby!) or the Train Station. I've been able to get large quantities of Iridium that way. You're both right, the Skull Caverns is quicker and Grandpa's statue is more reliable, but farming Purple Slimes is definitely workable too!

• Lorekeeper of Wyverns

I have to ask, how exactly did you manage to get such a large colony, though? I've had a good few incubators set up (or as many as I've managed to make so far), but my attempts at a colony really aren't that successful yet. And do your slimes ever disappear on you? I feel like my Pelican Town colony had more before, but there were some that just outright vanished. Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but...

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

While I've never been able to prove it via the game mechanics, my hypothesis is that Slimes can only actually breed when you are present-- i.e. in the same location as them, even if they're offscreen and not in your sight. Because the Cindersap is one of the larger outdoor 'rooms' in the game, when you're wandering anyplace in that screen-- around the pond, or the Wizard's Tower, or Leah and Marnie's area, anyplace at all, the Slimes in the southern area (that's the part of the forest just around the Spring Onions, if you couldn't already tell) can still be active and multiply. And boy, do they ever.

Scroll up this same thread and you'll see pictures of the river /clotted/ with dozens and dozens of Slimes, so many you'd think you can walk on the water. (The boundary between River and Land fences them in, which also makes them hard to cull-- bombs are about the only way to do it.) That screen grab I posted is actually a low number of Slimes for that area. (Doing this without the Slime Charmer Ring is very much not suggested.)

They'll remain confined to the screen you breed them on with one weird glitchy exception; if a Slime is born at the exact same moment you are crossing to the next screen area (your farm, the town, the Secret Woods...), the baby Slime will actually 'follow' you to appear in the new location. I've never had them spontaneously vanish, but they do seem to wander a lot and they can disappear into trees or other landscape features, get stuck in walls (cliff walls, outdoors) or other things.

• Starbound Sailor Moon

Finally got my slime slaughterer ring! :lickitung:

Now for the plan: To kill every duplicate, or too-close-in-original-color slime, to see what kind of crazy colors I can breed. This is a shot pre-massacre of one green, one blue, one turquoise, two brown, one purple, and one red slimey. Eventually I might murder each original color slime.

I kind of hate to kill the pink ones yet. :kawaii:

Attached Files:

• musical74

musical74 Space Kumquat

Just out of curiosity, how long does it take in game years to defeat 1000 slimes? I usually restart before I get the 1000 kills needed but know it takes a few years because after 6 months I'm usually either gotten all the other rewards or close to it...and then there's the slimes, where I'm usually nowhere near 1000...

• Starbound Sailor Moon

Eh heh... I'm on Fall year 4. To be fair though, I've been taking my time, and am still on level 9 combat/mining, and didn't unlock the steel axe until Winter year 2. With the secret forest unlocked, if you try to squeeze in hardwood runs every day, your slime counts goes up rather steadily. Plus I probably mine 4 or less times a month, as I've been focused on other things. I didn't even build a hutch until the beginning of this IG year.

Perhaps if you built a slime hutch & press, you could kill a few more once a week, and leave a couple of slimes alive to breed. Do what one person recommended and build a fence first for easy watering, and don't let your hutches count get too high. I was able to kite ten-twelve rather easily but beyond that I would get poisoned locked. Try to keep them from getting in a dog pile and take coffee as well.

If you were really brave you could start a colony at the train station, running in to kill a few when you were in that area. If it gets overpopulated though you may run into the same problem as with a full hutch and no ring. I thought about it but decided against it.

Hopefully there's a vet with some quicker tips.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
                                      • Lorekeeper of Wyverns

That would probably explain a lot, then, thanks! Chances are, there's probably a good few of them that got stuck in the cliff wall- I placed my hatchers there in the village so no-one would break them, but I could see some of my newly-hatched slimes spawning in there and not being able to get out.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

In older versions (pre 1.3)* it was possible to 'farm' for Slime kills when you found an infested Mine level-- infested levels followed the same pattern as Mushroom levels. They spawn somewhere, and stay active the entire day, which means you could visit one, kill all the Slimes, then go back up and repeat the same infested level as many times as you want in the same day. Then the following day, it would move up one level to the next higher floor (unless that is an elevator or 'special' level). Knowing where an infested level will be on a given day means getting lots of extra Slime kills if you're looking for them!

Other good spots for leveling up your Slime kills are the Secret Woods (if you've got them open) and, of course, the Skull Dungeon. (Careful with that one; Purple Slimes are no joke if you haven't gotten the Slime Charmer Ring yet!) Even just a quick jaunt into the first few levels of the Mines once a day can help. It's all just grinding, really!

*I say 'pre 1.3' because I know a lot of the game mechanics have changed in the recent update and I am not certain if this mechanic is still working as described, though the wiki does still say it hasn't changed. (I have not really tested it since the update myself.)