Race The Ursa

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Polar Bear, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Phantasmal Quasar

Ursa
    I want a race of intelligent ursine creatures.

These bears were still very much in the Ice Age when a mysterious object appeared in the sky. From that object came down a group of beings that looked very different from anything the bears had seen in their arctic climate previously. The beings approached the largest bear in the group and attached a pendent to the bears chest. The bear's mind was suddenly flooded with the knowledge of the beings that had gifted the pendent to it. He understood language, technology, and all of the other traits bestowed upon him by the pendent. The beings left as fast as they came and as the bear that was now known as the Ursa, Pater Scientia watched his otherworldly friends part, he knew it was time for advancement. The Ursa are now a futuristic race that has kept their tribal foundation intact while advancing. They are a friendly race to all outsiders until provoked. When provoked these bears unleash the fury of their primal state showing a tremendous display of incredible strength, lifting drop ships with ease and decimating anyone within range of their enormous claws. Beware, these creatures are just as dangerous at a distance with their advanced technology gifted to them by the aliens that visited them so long ago. All was not always well though, there was a time soon after their enlightenment that they experimented with many of the bacteria found in their forest and caves. One Ursa, known as Niteris Signifer modified bacteria in a way that was never meant to be, after a failed experiment a plague was unleashed upon all of the Bears. Half of their species was wiped out by that plague, they knew their only hope was to abandon their home and search for somewhere new. Every Ursa agreed except for one, Pater Scientia refused to leave his beloved home. He believed that they could outlast the plague if they stayed only a little bit longer. In an act of tremendous courage Niteris Signifer agreed to stay with Pater Scientia, knowing that if he stayed he was doomed. There the two Ursa stood, taking in the beauty of their planet before their inevitable demise. Niteris Signifer atoned for his act and stood with Pater Scientia until the very end, comforting him.

The Ursa that left their home navigated the galaxy for a long time, warning any explorers they came across about the danger of their planet. Eventually though they found a suitable place to live, guarded by innumerable asteroids in orbit and very much like their previous planet. They began to descend into orbit but were caught off-guard by an asteroid. One of the Ursine creatures that was sleeping during the time of impact was scared by the sudden alarms and made a mad dash to the escape pod. It ejected as soon as it could and found itself drifting in space unknowing that the ship had safely made its way to the planets surface and was beginning colonization. The Ursa in the pod drifted for days, just as it thought it would perish in its prison the ship docked at a space station... The rest of the story is yours to write.

Ursa Concept
    [​IMG]
    (Volibear is amazing :3)

Ursa have two different stances one standing, and one on all-fours. Ursa are 50% taller then humans while standing and 10% shorter while on all-fours. Ursa have additional health and claws that can be used as melee weapons when nothing is equipped and when they are on all-fours. Ursa have 20% slower speed while standing so most Ursas will prefer to run on all-fours. Ursas on all-fours have 10% increased speed but they can not equip weapons or tools.

Let me know what you think of this idea, hopefully we can get it put into the game. Thanks for reading!

Shadowsail, Manilian, Peberro and 5 others like this.
  2. GunmanRex

GunmanRex Oxygen Tank

This Sounds pretty cool (pun intended), just would you update it some time with tctoocold's template?

EvilWevel likes this.
  3. Polar Bear

Updated following tctoocold's guidlines. :3

4. GunmanRex

GunmanRex Oxygen Tank

Thank you this really awesome

5. Stargazer

Stargazer Existential Complex

Amazing idea! I'd love to play Starbound as a bear.

6. Polar Bear

Yea, I thought it would be pretty cool to have a class that was big and healthy. I feel like it would be more of a complex class with its multiple stances and such.

7. Ravenous Space Rat

Ravenous Space Rat Cosmic Narwhal

Your smart with the name.:)

8. Polar Bear

Thank you :3

9. Ravenous Space Rat

Ravenous Space Rat Cosmic Narwhal

Even if your idea does not make it Pok-tooks will be in the game!

10. GunmanRex

GunmanRex Oxygen Tank

yes but the Pok-Tooks are a mob not a playable race.

11. Ghoschief

Ghoschief Phantasmal Quasar

You know what's extremely badass? Space bears. I want this so bad.

Stargazer likes this.
  12. SaintEeveen

SaintEeveen Title Not Found

Starbound could bare the Ursa as a race.

13. Polar Bear

:3 How punny! Though it doesn't seem likely that the Ursa will be added, Tiy said that he wants more alien races. I will probably modify my idea to being ursine creature instead of bears.

14. Peberro

Peberro Subatomic Cosmonaut

As I read the name of race I immediately thought of Ursa in dota 2 :giggle:. I think the concept of playing as bear is very nice.

15. Vapor Horologium Corpus

Vapor Horologium Corpus Weight of the Sky

playable race maybe :3 or I might be over thinking it but I would love a russian/bear style civilization.

16. Zeklo

Zeklo Heliosphere

I think you mean Starbound could bear the Ursa as a race. :3

17. SaintEeveen

SaintEeveen Title Not Found

Yes, I do mean to use "bear" rather than "bare". Unfortunately the dictionary I consulted for enlightenment on the correct word was faulty...

18. Manilian

Manilian Big Damn Hero

Wow, this would be a really good race to play. Love the icy feeling to it, mixed with bears.