1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Theory: Novakid Origins [ SPOILERS ]

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Zebe, Jun 10, 2016.

1. poronoro

poronoro Void-Bound Voyager

2. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

Here's some lines from the Novakids, if anyone's still in doubt about this:
    • "Do you get those dreams too? You know the one's I'm talkin' about, the ones in the stars..."
    • "I feel like folks like us, glowin' folks, we've forgotten somethin' mighty important..."
    • "You ever get the feelin' that folks like us used to be part of somethin' greater?"
    • "Somethin' about these squiggles looks familiar." - Novakid description of Ancient Plaque
    • "Have I seen this before? Naw, I must be imaginin' things." - Novakid description of Ancient Mural
    Also the Ancient Mural itself has an additional clue, which gives us further evidence of Cultivator remaining in the form of its remnants:
    • "We are destined to not remain, as is the Great One.
      Its legacy will be its remnants, and ours shall be our temples."
    Additionally, since the Ancients now acknowledge the existence of Cultivator's remnants, the issue of Novakid's portrayal on the Ancient Gate has been resolved - it's feasible that it's been carved into the gate by the Ancients in the aftermath of Cultivator's sacrifice.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2017
    Combozone and Zebe like this.
  3. PyreStarite

PyreStarite Space Kumquat

I don't want to read a few walls worth of text, but I'm gonna spit out what I think, playing Novakid alot.

I don't know how long the Novakid have existed, but one theory could suggest that if, and this is a big if...
    If the cultivator's disappearance/death thing and the Novakid's creation are around the same time, then one could make the idea that Novakid are also remnants of the cultivator, as they are star people.
    This does not exactly line up too well as I don't know how long Novakid have existed and the source of their existance and sentience is their brandings. Plasma and star dust is one thing, magic seals are another story all together.

4. Combozone

Combozone Existential Complex

It's hinted at a lot that the Novakid are indeed the Cultivator's remnants, scattered across the universe. The Novakid don't have a specific story purpose because there was no Artifact for them that could accurately represent them/was important enough to them.

5. PyreStarite

PyreStarite Space Kumquat

Again, it may be hinted, but that doesn't solve the composition.

Novakid are burning gas children with a "magic" seal that gives them existence and sentience, but which of these components are from the cultivator? The Gas? The Seal? Both Maybe? We don't know what composed the cultivator, whether it was ethereal, organic, metallic, etc, so it is difficult to say how the Novakid are remnants, we just "know that they are".

6. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

I still fail to see how the cultivator's quote supports this hypothesis. The only potential indicator would be "wild," and I somehow doubt the cultivator is into making stealth puns about the wild west. Furthermore, as a nitpick at the wording, and this might be a fault in my reading comprehension, but it seems strange that the Cultivator would call something ancient to then immediately call it new.
    For all we know from the monologue, they could be referring to poptops.

The quotes provided by @Sligneris are the only thing I've seen that concretely supports this hypothesis. I will admit it is convincing that this is what Chucklefish was going for. However, assuming that this is indeed the case, I pose a question: what is the fragment, is it the gas or the brand? If it is the gas and membrane, what purpose then does a brand serve?
    If it is the brand that is the Cultivator (becoming something new,) then how would the stars representing the cultivator be significant? Or do you propose the Cultivator was literally a giant novakid? I suppose of the two this would make the most sense.
    I suppose this could be explained away on the game's behalf. But I don't care for building hypotheses off of hypotheses without in-game information.

And aside, a personal belief, even if this is true, it still feels like a handwave.

Food for thought:
    Would this mean the novakid don't reproduce, given they would need parts of the Cultivator to do so? If so, then we have no reason to believe that any lore for the novakid that Bietol suggested is valid unless explicitly stated. Which I do not in principle mind, though I might question why a community race was chosen for aesthetic primarily, but consider how many of our assumptions about novakid culture are rooted in things Bietol stated.

7. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

(In response to a deleted post)
    I've literally just said it 5 posts earlier.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2017
    Combozone likes this.
  8. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

Well, Cultivator's fragments would definitely be ancient by now, and they used to be a part of an even more ancient being. It simply means that they became something new back at the time of Cultivator's sacrifice.

9. MysticMalevolence

So... was there just some rift in spacetime until the ancients got around to building the gate? Or did they build tbe gate somewhere else entirely from where the Ruin was pushed up.
    Were the keyholes built around the keys? That seems like an odd sequence to things.
    Why make it open at all?

10. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

Or, alternatively, the emblems simply weren't there back when the Ruin was being sealed.

If you still don't get what I mean, here's a mockup of how the gate would look like at the time:

[​IMG]

Because while the Ruin was sealed, it was not defeated. Eventually, the six chosen races, the "Heroes" were meant to open the Ark and defeat the Ruin for good. I mean, that's what the entire storyline was about.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2017
    DraikNova likes this.
  11. DraikNova

DraikNova Ketchup Robot

I mean, it could just be that the strange environment provided by the dying cultivator allowed relatively mundane materials found in the cultivator to come together in a strange but replicatable (at least, replicatable by novakids) way.

12. whipping post

whipping post Cosmic Narwhal

wow i did not expect there to still be debate in here

compared to dark souls lore, chucklefish comes right out and says it lol

13. Namtazar

Namtazar Subatomic Cosmonaut

we look at this in a very materialistic way trying to associate cultivator with "gas" or "brand". But Cultivator itself first described to us as "the force" trying to achieve a harmony for the entire universe. (yep, star wars reference here). So the gas and brands itself may be a common materials can be founded around Stars, but force (some sort of energy, power, magic?) of Cultivator is the thing that makes this works. And because this Force is no longer stable (Cultivator is "dead") - Novakids cant remember things from the past when they was a part of him. They separated, broken pieces of this force and identity who was Cultivator. So powerful that even pieces of him was able to recreate themselves as a intellectual race. And because they still just parts of his mind and powers - they have this feels about ancient stuff like "we see it before but cant remember" Individual novakid contain only a small part of Cultivator soul (maybe?) and memories enough to be a person but not enough to actually decipher pieces of old Cultivator legacy memories.

14. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

We currently do not have any official sources on Novakid physiology, so anything concerning the gas or the brand is pure guesswork.

Someone brought up something along the lines of Cultivator being a "giant Novakid" - while I don't think that's exactly right, it does hit somewhat close. It's likely that the Cultivator presented itself as a colossal humanoid, glowing bright with energy.

15. MysticMalevolence

I'm pretty sure the Cultivator looked like a giant spaceman. As they are depicted.

16. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

I mean yeah, that's the part where I called them a "colossal humanoid".

17. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

So, I've had another enlightening discussion on Discord, and this came up, giving more basis to what we already knew:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2017
  18. Namtazar

this make sense. I think Cultivator did not die or broke to the pieces very fast. No matter what kind of creature he is - colossal humanoid, giant novakid or other weird thing - he is very powerful and uses very advanced technology! So i assume Cultivator, who spent eons of time to maintain harmony in universe, also spent some hundred and thousands of years to chooze 6 races, seal ruin correctly, create and give this artifacts to chozen's and maybe even write some instructions for ancients so they was created all this challenge rooms and other stuff for future champions. And after all he "dies" resulting a born of the Novakids.

19. Palicence

Palicence Void-Bound Voyager

I think that the Novakids were created by whatever made the glitch, as sort of a second attempt. The Cultivator didn't give them a key, because for a key to be useful you need to know where it is and the would probably loose it within a few minutes nevertheless eons.

20. Namtazar

If you don't play all main quest missions as novakid - i am warning you about spoilers.
    But Cultivator himself speak to main protagonist about what he is and if you play as Novakid - he tell you about your race, your role in the universe and why you not the one of 6 chosen races.