NPC There needs to be NPC companions

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by CondescendedWow, Sep 1, 2015.

?

How many of you want NPC companions?

1. YES

52.6%
  2. Also yes, because it would be a great addition to the already amazing NPC experience.

47.4%
  1. CondescendedWow

CondescendedWow Supernova

Starbound: Civil War
    Three races pick their own side and the last race will be yours, you choose which side and tip the scale.
    Sounds epiccccc.

2. ShinigamiX

ShinigamiX Big Damn Hero

Hmmm, I wasn't thinking that far. It was more just that you'd never see a Llama and everything suggests the Alpacas are just crazy but there is always the chance you can come across a Llama disguised as an Alpaca that talks in an odd way but seems just like a normal Alpaca otherwise. Lots of people would think the species is crazy but they know the truth.

3. CondescendedWow

Because everyone loves Llamas more than Alpacas.

4. ShinigamiX

ShinigamiX Big Damn Hero

Well yeah, that's a given. I just wanted people to think the Alpacas were crazy but a few people realise that they are not.

5. CondescendedWow

The fact that they talk like Scots doesn't help to prove they're sane.
    Offensive but true.
    And funny.

6. ShinigamiX

ShinigamiX Big Damn Hero

I wonder with the mushroom people NPCs.... are they really mushroom people or are they just wearing hats? because if they aren't wearing hats/masks then that means when you get hats/masks from them the real truth is that you have succesfully not demolished their head but instead hollowed it out to wear.

7. CondescendedWow

Oh yeah, they're called the Agarans, they're legit mushroom people and currently their reason for existence is very shaky, especially since they don't speak an actual language.
    But I feel like they're gonna end up being tied to the storyline in some way as obviously some kind of antagonist species.

8. ShinigamiX

ShinigamiX Big Damn Hero

Evil mushrooms? aww.
    Also I thought they spoke their own language and thus don't speak whatever common lanuage all these other species have chosen to speak or whatever translator the people use hasn't been adjusted for the Agarans' language.

9. CondescendedWow

Probably something like that but we can't really tell as of now so to us they speak an indecipherable illegitimate language.

10. ShinigamiX

ShinigamiX Big Damn Hero

I suppose but its still their own language. Not like they are just uttering gibberish as they seem to be intelligent enough to build houses and even have decorative and highly breakable jars. Even if they themselves didn't make the jars they still use them for decorations.

11. CondescendedWow

I'm sure they don't need language for all that, they could at least be using some other kind of communication besides talking to each other because they obviously don't seem to be great at that kind of thing.

12. ShinigamiX

ShinigamiX Big Damn Hero

Who knows exactly how the whole culture for the mushroom people works. If it important enough or potentially if the devs just have enough free time to work on lore or something, they'll explain it or add in a few codex entries about them and their culture.

13. CondescendedWow

Yeah certainly, well hopefully because we have this unlimited universe with unique characters and planets and all that and if nobody decides to develop the things in the universe beyond all that then we just have a bunch of stuff, a bunch of stuff that we can't get immersed into and nobody will really care about things like lore and all that because as of now it's not even close to necessary to know anything about lore or necessary to be immersed in the universe to play the game, which really what I think is what gamers need, is to be immersed in the game that they're playing instead of just playing a game cause it's apparently good.

14. Jack Nief

Jack Nief Phantasmal Quasar

It's good to see that I'm not the only one who has interest in company in space! I'm not really a big fan of having random people follow me. I'm usually the sort of guy who already has a crew in his head, and a random human named 'Hadley Starbuck' or an Avian named 'Starflinger Nixto' doesn't quite have the same feel as a character you've already given backstory and personality to. Hence I toss in an idea for being able to build your own Crewmembers.

Here's the post I made...

15. CondescendedWow

Well the thing is that each character could have a generated story from a set of different backstory types and etc just like how planet and character generation works but with dialogue.
    That way each character you meet can have their very own backstory and developed lifestyle or whatever as soon as you start talking to them.

16. CondescendedWow

So cause I'm slow, I just finished the Floran Party mission today and there's some SERIOUS foreshadowing towards Nuru joining you as a companion, like if you keep talking to her then there's so much foreshadowing it's like Chucklefish shoving it in our face that this adorable yet skilled Floran will join us on our adventures BUT WE'LL HAVE TO WAIT.
    The waiting is the worst part.
    I'll wait for Nuru though, Nuru is waifu Nuru is laifu.

17. TrevorH7441

TrevorH7441 Big Damn Hero

And if an area is too dangerous, tell them to go to the ship and stay there or if they are pulling an adoring fan (please tell me you get the reference), you can tell them to go back from where they came...or come up with the craziest ways to kill said annoying follower....
    Adoring Fan.jpg

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  18. CondescendedWow

I don't get the reference but I don't think you should kill them, only if they're being a d**kwad, if they just really like you then there should be some more friendly options.
    In my opinion at least.

19. TrevorH7441

TrevorH7441 Big Damn Hero

Let's just say that he would follow you around as an obnoxious quasi-stalker who would be willing to do anything for you, but mention it every 5 seconds in the most annoying way possible, and when you ask him to leave, he tries to ask if he can change spots (implying he was still going to follow you if you didn't assert yourself), so he easily became the most hated character of the game he haunted.

20. ShinigamiX

ShinigamiX Big Damn Hero

Did nobody else decide that he made a nice decoration and simply put him in a closet?

Anyway, I guess any NPC companions they put into the game will join you in fighting.
    Btw I lean more towards not creating NPCs to be in our crew as that means if they die you just replace them with an exact copy and its like nothing happened.

If I had an NPC I went and chose & befriended to join my crew I'd probably feel alot more sad if they died because that would as well mean that I couldn't just go and replace them with an exact copy.

In a completly different game where you get to control loads of minions (specifically the creatures 'Minions' from the game Overlord)
    There was one minion who stood at the front of my hoard for quite a long time... how did I tell them apart from the rest? (They normally look the same) it was simple, he had a golf club and thus he was named Caddy... due to a horrible mistake on my part I ended up sending Caddy to his doom and no other minion could replace him. RIP Caddy.