Boss They dug too deep

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by tieshaunn, Jan 2, 2014.

1. tieshaunn

tieshaunn Intergalactic Tourist

I thought of this when I reached the magma core of a planet - there should, somewhere, be a boss on at least some planets that you find if you dig too deep...

A Balrog would probably be too obvious (not to mention copyrighted), but I think it would really fit the nature of the game.

Puddinsky and AFriendlyCoconut like this.
  2. Whaleduck

Whaleduck Big Damn Hero

Gigantic space magma worm with really thick skin

3. Shreddys

Shreddys Phantasmal Quasar

Interesting. On planets where the boss spawns there can be large caverns generated at the lava layer, allowing you to have an extra large boss and enough room to move around too.

My vote's on a giant magma snake or worm. Or salamander.

AFriendlyCoconut and Whaleduck like this.
  4. Zaisher

Zaisher Scruffy Nerf-Herder

or A GIANT PLANET SIZED PARASITE SLOWLY KILLING THE WORLD BIDING ITS TIME TILL IT CAN DEVOUR US ALLLL BWHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

Whaleduck likes this.
  5. Whaleduck

Whaleduck Big Damn Hero

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

(what i am saying is that Cthulu would be nice :3)

6. AFriendlyCoconut

AFriendlyCoconut Seal Broken

Why not gigantic worm?

[​IMG]

Naturally underground. Unnaturally (and terrifying) above ground.

On a more serious note:

I agree that there should be some sort of reward/encounter at the core of each world. Balrog (though I love him) would be a rip-off, but that doesn't mean they can't put a big boss room underground with a rare boss on a few planets. I like the idea (and it gave me an excuse to draw something) so I say yes, yes, and yes! Cheers!

Puddinsky and Whaleduck like this.
  7. Puddinsky

Puddinsky Big Damn Hero

I always liked Hell in Terraria. Terraria was amazing. Starbound kicks its butt, but it lacks some things.

Red Wing likes this.
  8. Dragsaw

Dragsaw Void-Bound Voyager

Are like in Dune or Mass Effect

9. Zaisher

Zaisher Scruffy Nerf-Herder

hasn't the worm thing been done to death already?

10. Alaster

Alaster Orbital Explorer

Perhaps you have to find a way to build through the magma first to reach the core. Then you'll enter a pre-built boss room where epic music starts to play.
    But as stated before, not all planets will have core bosses.
    Or better yet, turn gas giants into potential boss arenas. The player would have to be well-equipped with gas tanks, jet packs, etc... in order to survive. Jet pack will be a must because you cannot land on gas giants. Just an idea though.

11. AFriendlyCoconut

AFriendlyCoconut Seal Broken

Yup! Just check out the tvtropes entry on sand worms. :monkey:

I definitely think the worm wouldn't flow with the way starbound's other bosses are presented. :idea: Perhaps something like a big candle stick engulfed in flames and using its wick as a whip! Like a parody of the Balrog!

12. Shreddys

Shreddys Phantasmal Quasar

Ignoring worms, there are plenty of possibilities for bosses swimming around in the molten lava at the bottom of the map, like Sea Serpents or Magmatic Alligators or some bizarre rock alien thing.

13. MikanPachi

MikanPachi Void-Bound Voyager

the answer is obvious my dear folks...."Living Lava". what I mean by this is once you reach the lava core, you throw a special item in (sorry Terraria not trying to steal from you but how else?" in the lava and suddenly a slime like dome made of the lava forms on the surface and attacks. (think those big slime duded from Yoshi's Island for SNES) apon defeat, the top 5 layers of the lava core turn into a new type of block called "Living Obsidian" that you need to make the item for the next tier. The boss basicly would attack by charging left and right destroying any blocks in it's path, popping back down into the lava core and popping back up in another spot (always trying to be where you stand), and shaking it's body to create waves of lava that fly in both directions of it. Obviously contact with the body would burn you. as for it's weak point let's say it would have either an Eye or a Brain inside the body. (so you can see it when it pops in the lava trying to get under you)