Things in the Original that Should be changed/edited in the remake (may contain spoilers)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Rainbow Dash, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

so after playing the original there is a few things i feel should be changed

mainly bosses being overpowered
    computer boss

or parts in levels (platforms) blending into the background like in the
    start of the jungle island with the tree branchs and hookable vines blending into the background

all the other bugs will mostly get fixed but please please fix the bug where
    buying the flag for your bout slowing down your bout by about 50%

• FireDrake204

FireDrake204 Pangalactic Porcupine

One thing I thought was pretty frustrating:
      The chase in the crystal caves in annoying since you have no indication of where the bombs are going to fly or hit, making them difficult to dodge

And I felt that grabbing the hanging hooks was too unresponsive. Sometimes I felt that I couldn't just grab it and miss it.

• Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

really i got past that my 1st try, must be lucky lol

as for the hanging hooks you gotta be moving left or right abit for it to connect if its a straight jump up it wont connect....
        its propley one of the things that will be fixed

it also took me like 3 hours to find out that
        the parrot rock in the hidden cave at the ghost town island was pushable

i hope thats changed to be alittle more easyer to find out

Catoosie likes this.
        • fetalstar

fetalstar 404 Artist Not Found Developer

Oh hey! This thread will probably be really helpful!
          I'm moving it over to the Suggestion section, because it kind of fits better over there.

Robit's going to be ironing out the bugs/making bosses a little more fair (they'll still be hard, just fair), so as far as things that have to be coded goes, I think they're going to be taken care of.

But I can definitely use some suggestions when it comes to updating the old graphics. Like the things you guys pointed out about things blending in too much, and some visual indicators. c:

• Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

yah the olny proplems i had were the 2 i named

with the trees and the that one pushable stone

do you want screenshots of the parts that confused me? or do you want to figger it out by youself?

cus i got about 4 images i could give you in spots

the olny other proplems i had where controls
            mainly the
            throwhook being up+attack and flying with the bird

also fetalstar i hope you dont make the number one mistake with foreground grafics witch is puting them infront of puzzle items / doors

or bosses X-x

• fetalstar

Yeah! Take screenshots if you see something confusing, and put them under a spoiler tag. Just remember not to double post and stuff.

Also, the control issues you had are fixed too.
              The bird is a lot easier to control, and Robit's thinking of other ways to do the controls, so the throw hook and stuff will be a little better. c:

The placement of the objects and stuff isn't my area, it's more Robit's. But I'll keep that in mind when I mess around in game, like if I notice anything.
              Were there areas like that in the original?

• Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

ok im taking screenshots right now they will be up soon

edit: heres where i got stuck it seems a few others might get stuck also
                [​IMG] the red circle shows were the platforms are, as you can see its hard to tell that from the background

[​IMG]Hookvines that are almost invisible (but it might be becouse im partly colorblind idk... but it blends in too much

[​IMG]the pushable stone, the green circle shows were it used to be, but it looks nothing like the other pushable stones in the game, maybe make it look like it can be pushed or better hinting at it?

the 1st two are from Boracay Island and the last one is in a cave in Poveglia Island, then again i dont even know if they are called that in this version of the game lol

im not 100% sure about the last thing, it might be that its extremely cryptic and i just didnt see it =p
                oh and tell Robit to
                nerf the hell out of that computor boss that thing is extramly hard and lasts a long time, and skiping cutseenes

i cant wait to see the
                mushroom stage

• fetalstar

Ohhh yeah, your issues with the platforms and stuff may be because you're partially colorblind.
                  Would making the vines a brighter green help with that issue?
                  TBH the giant pushable stone was a no brainer for me, because of how it was in the way, and behind it there was a hole in the ground that fit it perfectly. but I'll think of a better way to show it. c:

• Polar Bear

Polar Bear Phantasmal Quasar

I didn't find the vines or stone difficult at all, truthfully. In fact, this sort if thing was what made the game challenging and fun for me.

• fetalstar

That's good to hear!
                      I think the goal is to make TAW a little more fair than TAG, while still avoiding just totally holding your hand through everything.

• FireDrake204

I also believe the final boss could have a few more ticks on the difficulty scale. It honestly felt more like a miniboss fight compared to some of the others
                        Computer boss, Skeleton worm boss
                        Regarding the computer boss, I just thought it was annoying more than hard since 1 failure results in a loooong do-over, and some of the computer's "minigames" just had too many visual artifacts. It was literally hurting my eyes.
                        For the final boss, perhaps it does 3 damage with certain attacks, maybe add a new attack pattern?

But yeah, mostly the final boss just isn't hard enough to have that title.

Catoosie likes this.
                        • fetalstar

Oh yeah, I agree.

I know a lot of the difficulty in the Skeleton boss had to do with how it was coded... like the biggest problem I had when I was fighting him was the souls didn't really spawn often.. or, at least, there were many times the boss would go into his "attackable mode" a few times and no soul would show up. But I'm pretty sure it'll be fixed in TAW, like it'll be a little more consistent.
                          The final boss fight will probably have to be redone completely, otherwise there could be a lawsuit due to the use of content from other games. :rofl:
                          I'll keep your comments about the computer boss in mind though, at least with the visuals. I don't really remember it much.. so maybe I'll go watch an LP or something when it comes time for me to work on it. C:

• Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

if the vine was greener i would see it, i can see the vine on the tree in fount of it no proplem,

as for the skiliton snake boss, hes like 10x easyer if you got the boot, the olny bosses that were extramly had was the computor (witch in its state its basicly imposable) and the sword fight with the pirates at the underground hidden base (not the drill) the one were you knock them back into the lazors

as for the computor boss make it so the minigames arnt so hard or make it so they are less of them lol

• MaxwellDamage

MaxwellDamage Poptop Tamer

More collectable MacGuffins would be great, I liked the idea that Stephen had about an island that you can only reach from the warpzone (as it were), but I don't think there were many gamebreakers that I remember. I think there absolutely needs to be an easter egg that takes you back to a room using the original graphics, preferably one that was in Karma too, but anything else I come up with I'll be sure to post here. I'll be LPing it in the near future, so I'll get to revisit mechanics and visuals then! (Also, hi you guys, I just joined today!)

• Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

the olny proplem with the warp points is that its pritty criptic to even know how to use them

• MaxwellDamage

I don't agree, but I also may as well be an 8/16-bit game wikipedia, so I may not be the best source to say 'no, that was obvious.'

• fetalstar

Ahhh that'd be such a cool easter egg!
                                    It'll also be really fun to watch an LP of it when it's done!

Yeah, I know what you mean! I love older games because they didn't hold your hand with tutorials and stuff whenever you got a new item.

MaxwellDamage likes this.
                                    • MaxwellDamage

I did a short demo of most of Ep1 of Karma that Robit saw and tweeted a link to, and we had a brief conversation about it. If you haven't seen his post-mortem videos on his old Youtube channel, they're a great source of info. I think I'll end up recording both TAG and TAW, honestly, so if you dig my style, feel free to check them out once I start, I can post a link in here too. (I tend to do some more-serious-and-serene playlists and some more-absurd-and-with-visual-gags playlists, and these would probably be more of the first type.)

• FireDrake204

I just remembered another thing that had to do with the end of the game
                                        It would be awesome if the "good end" was actually much better and more different than the "bad end"

• LotBlind

LotBlind Orbital Explorer