1. This forum is for website and forum feedback ONLY. Please post Starbound bugs in the Support section. Any game-specific threads in this forum will be deleted.

This Forum is Hidden & "Top Mods" and the "Outdated Mods" category

Discussion in 'Website Feedback/Issues' started by Mackinz, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Okay, first I would just like to point out that is nearly impossible to find this subforum. I had to click on a thread moved from General Discussion to get here. There is no "Website & Forum Support" forum shown from the main forum view. Onto what I came here to say.

Too many people look at the "Top Mods" listing and look at and install mods from the Outdated Mods category without realizing that these mods are not compatible with the current version of the game. Case in point, the top mod, Avali Race Mod, continues to get mod reviews and posts in its discussion thread from confused users who ignored that the mod clearly states it is only compatible with Enraged Koala.

The Top Mods list is chock full of "old but gold" mods, such the original The Tabula Rasa mod, the Rise of the Hylotl mod, Dead Squirrel's Firefly mod, Dye Mod (when dying is a vanilla feature now)... even Novakid+ when the Novakid are part of the base vanilla game AND the same mod author has released a new mod which replaces his old mod in functionality. The list goes on and on, explained by people not paying attention... at all... to the context.

I think this could be addressed if mods in the "Outdated Mods" category were separate from the "Top Mods" listing, and/or had their own "Top Mods" listing so that interested modders could still sort mods in the "Outdated Mods" category by their former popularity (I know I look through the Outdated Mods category on occasion, looking for things I might be interested in updating like old Stargate mods). This would help clean out the "Top Mods" category by only showing mods that still work, and would help reduce user confusion.

The | Suit likes this.
  2. I just noticed that as well; it should be listed now.

I'm not sure about how "Top Mods" works (I don't think you can exclude categories), so I can't comment on that at the moment.

3. Mackinz

Someone should also, probably, re-create the delete account and rename request threads, since those will come up.

4. There wasn't a deletion request thread, but I'll re-create the name change and account validation threads.

Mackinz and Dunto like this.
  5. Mackinz

Okay, this thread has gone five months without a comment on its 'meat'. Since I routinely have to respond to people posting in old mod threads asking for support to get the mod working, I think it's about time some kind of discussion on how to handle Outdated "Top" mods should be handled.

6. Sorry this wasn't handled sooner!
    There's no way to exclude a category from the Top Mods list. However, you can add mod pre-fixes. I've created a big red 'OUTDATED' pre-fix for the Outdated Mods category.

It's not a perfect solution, but it's also not easy to miss.

I'll accept any other suggestions!

Dunto and The | Suit like this.
  7. Mackinz

That's actually an extremely potent idea, Molly. Thanks for doing that. Only time will tell if this stops some new users from installing old mods without realizing, and I'll be sure to provide an update in the future.

mollygos likes this.
  8. Mackinz

Slightly tangential, and also a double post to garner attention, but what are the rules, if any, regarding mod reviews? I was thinking of reporting some recent-ish reviews on outdated mods complaining about them not working but I do not know if there are rules regarding such reviews. If there are rules, they should be a little more apparent.