This is the game series this is based on.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cloakedboltz, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Cloakedboltz

Cloakedboltz Guest

Or you could call it a tribute to this series. The name is Harvest Moon.

Evangelion, Landlaw and LulItsIan like this.
    • Teddeck

Teddeck Orbital Explorer

How young would people have to be to not know Harvest Moon?

Oh, oh no, I'm getting old, aren't I?

Bjoern_B, Grinds, Kalvuric and 6 others like this.
      • krawky398

krawky398 Ketchup Robot

The note of being like a co-op Harvest Moon is the center of my interest in this game, in fact. Because Harvest Moon is awesome. With the exception of DS, that is somewhat less awesome than the others. Also Tiy mentioning this game and Harvest Moon might've caused me to make a Harvest Moon thread

• RenK

RenK Void-Bound Voyager

Harvest Moon with a bit more open feel to it like what's been shown with Stardew is exactly what I've been wanting for years. So glad I discovered this game today so i can watch it grow haha.

I know the feeling :(

Landlaw likes this.
          • LulItsIan

LulItsIan Pangalactic Porcupine

Huh, I never actually got around to playing harvest moon. It seemed to boring at the time, since children like me wanted to play Zelda and Sonic instead of what appeared to be boring farming games. However, I'm willing to try out the "boring farming games" with Stardew Valley. It has co-op, and appears that it's going to be relatively cheap and not computer-demanding. That means I can play it with my friends who have mentally challenged computers. :D (They also happen to be bad at playing video games, and this game doesn't look like it's going to be extremely hardcore, so they'll get to actually enjoy it, yay!)

Dust likes this.
            • Landlaw

Landlaw Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You guys know Rune Factory? for DS and Wii. Try to google it. Its a awsome game. Farmming with rpg and fantasy.

Tychon and Evangelion like this.
              • krawky398

krawky398 Ketchup Robot

I haven't tried 1 or the console ones, but 3 is amazing. 2 is too slow for my tastes, though.
                Also, I just lump RF in with HM. It is described on the boxes as a Fantasy Harvest Moon, after all.

• Landlaw

try to play Rune Factory Frontier on wii (or emulator) its awsome! RPG, Pokemon and Harvest moon

• Hollow

Hollow Phantasmal Quasar

To be honest, that's a pretty terrible video to use to introduce players to this sort of game. It's four hours of petting cows. You want to use footage from Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town or Rune Factory.

BurlCato, LulItsIan, Kalvuric and 3 others like this.
                    • natelovesyou

natelovesyou Oxygen Tank

I really hope Stardew Valley ends up having little in common with Rune Factory: Frontier's model... everything takes so long, yet there isn't much to do that is all that interesting. Once you've seen the village and only FOUR dungeons, you've seen the whole game. It's small, with so very little content, yet takes tons of hours to beat because they make you spend forever doing silly and horribly repetitive and mundane things. Drove me mad. :/

Oh, and not to mention RF's mechanic "rune points", where you use up RP whenever you make an action with most tools and weapons. That way, I can't even water my entire field before I'm exhausted and can take one bath, but it's just a hopeless and mediocre cycle.

Landlaw likes this.
                      • TrinityMoon

TrinityMoon Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Not that old even my gf's lil brother who's nine knows about Harvest Moon

• Fromage

Fromage Big Damn Hero

Could be interesting...can't watch the video right now but I'd certainly like to see a Harvest Moon type game that actually lives up to the potential of that series (and Rune Factory's).

Essentially while I thought Frontier was fun, premise wise, the gameplay has some gaps, and you can too easily see the frayed edges past the facade.

Wasselin likes this.
                          • oath2order

oath2order Parsec Taste Tester

Just wanna let ya'll know there's plans for modability. Yeah, mods. :D

I found the game through Tumblr's Harvest Moon tag

Grinds likes this.
                            • Eqadromos

Eqadromos Void-Bound Voyager

It's been more than 12 years since the last time I played Harvest Moon. I remember it as a rather enjoyable game. Never imagined it would be the basis or inspiration for a multiplayer game, though. Will be interesting to see how this turns out. =)
                              And as a friend of mine said the other day; At least it'll be better than FarmVille! =P

Mopy likes this.
                              • Dzelda

Dzelda Parsec Taste Tester

Hey, Im all for the ruin of money-hungry Facebook games, but really, no amount of "Hey guys this must be Harvest Moon!" is going to change the fact that this is not Harvest Moon. :p This is Stardew. This is... *pushes that joke off a cliff* ConcernedApes creation. -w-

Olivier and natelovesyou like this.
                                • Wasselin

Wasselin Pangalactic Porcupine

The problem I've always had with Harvest Moon and Rune Factory is that the interface is so cumbersome. They slowly improved it, but even in some of the latest ones doing simple tasks becomes a chore, with opening your pack, selecting a tool, etc... So far, Stardew Valley really looks like it's improved that. At least from what I've seen from the gameplay videos. Just using a mouse and keyboard instead of a gamepad should make it easier.

• cranberryplains

cranberryplains Tentacle Wrangler

The thing with Harvest Moon that has always irritated me the most is the delay. Whether the interface was cumbersome and took way too long to use, like what Wasselin said, or if certain marriage candidates took multiple years to come to the village, there was so much arbitrary waiting. Stardew Valley seems to have fixed this. And also, it's on the PC, which is always a plus. I found it through googling "games similar to Harvest Moon", actually!

Wasselin likes this.
                                    • Evangelion

Evangelion Supernova

RUNEFACTORY! The best.

Luna and Landlaw like this.
                                      • Landlaw

Lets play!

• Cloakedboltz

Cloakedboltz Guest

I think CA said some villagers would only move on certain conditions.

cranberryplains likes this.