Tiered Bosses, Large Quest to reach a Large Boss Battle?

Discussion in 'Side Quests' started by faevian, Jul 24, 2015.

1. faevian

faevian Space Hobo

I have been thinking a bit of the grandness of Starbound and yet often each planet feels so small in terms of quests and every planet feels so independent of each other. I was thinking of maybe a way to bring planetary exploration feel like one big goal.

What about tiered bosses? Like you have to defeat smaller bosses to gain access to larger bosses and finally can summon a "final" boss. What I was thinking is:

There can be world-type specific “big” bosses, for those bosses there can be requirements to fight them. Either defeat mini bosses, collect certain items, complete a quest, etc. Or a combination of requirements. Maybe they have something like alters you have to find on each planet that require something to be put into them to summon the boss. A mini boss can drop the item or components of the item to be crafted, a NPC can have a quest for you and your reward is the item/ component, etc.

So for frozen planets there can be a themed boss for that type of planet, same for jungle, desert and so on. They can drop good items/ weapons etc. and most imporantly drop an item (like a gem, or spirit or plasma/ matter, whatever) that once you collect all of the “big” boss items you can craft something to awaken a universe boss. (Maybe a Super Nova? Eh? EH? Meh. Anyways) Maybe the main “universe boss” can only be summoned on a rare type of planet, or something to that effect. This way players have to travel far and wide to not only gather the items required to fight the main boss but they also have to find a suitable planet for the boss as well.

(Side note: Perhaps there can be lore behind the themed bosses, maybe they are the reason the planets are the way they are? So a frozen planet is frozen because of the boss, maybe they are the force behind the biome. It probably wouldn’t be possible but it would be cool if after a boss is defeated the planet becomes a lush green lands type planet that is no longer a harsh biome.)

I was thinking perhaps it will be random if a planet even has a boss on it to fight. Maybe the player could build a radar to determine if bosses are on planets, or to help find the altar but this could be something that is also a bit complicated/ expensive to build, so then some may just search and try to find out if a boss is on the planet without the radar. So it would be very helpful, but optional.This would mean you may have to go to several of the same "kind" of planet to find one with a boss to battle on it.

I think this will encourage people to explore as many planets as possible, and have a completely optional large goal to work for. I know many people like having a story line, or large quest. So this could just be one addition to the game. Maybe the universe boss drops very rare (or rather, boss-specific) and powerful items or crafting supplies.

Anyways. What do you all think? I know I would love to have a long goal to work towards that is also optional but maybe can get the best armor/weapon in the game or can only acquire a NPC or SOMETHING special and useful from it. :)

2. Lonewolf239

Lonewolf239 Pangalactic Porcupine

I think the game will slowly develop into what it is you're thinking of, but as of right now boss fights seem to be more of a proof of concept than anything. Eventually there will be some grand boss battles and awesome interplanetary/intergalactic warfare, but for now all we can do is build and wait in anticipation for it all to kick off.