Modding Help Tiled: Missing "properties" error

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Haaxor, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Haaxor

Haaxor Big Damn Hero

Hi,
    so I've been experimenting with Starbound custom dungeons and Tiled map creator. It works pretty smoothly for free software, but... Every map I create in Tiled and almost every time I save it I then need to open it's JSON file in Notepad++ and add empty "Properties" to end of file and to every object in my map. It looks like Tiled removes theese empty "Properties" sections from JSON and Starbound refuses to open those maps if there is no "Properties". Can anyone help me solve this problem? Do I have to change something in Tiled or is there another solution? Thanks :)

2. Inf_Wolf14

Inf_Wolf14 Parsec Taste Tester

Hmm, sorry I missed this thread for a few days.

Looks like you are using a rather updated version of Tiled if that is happening. If you downgrade to version 0.15.2, the properties attributes are no longer omitted from the resulting .json file.

The reason newer versions omit this is that Tiled's developer made a design decision to have the export handler trim any empty properties to optimize file size.
    I do not think there is any plans to repeal this decision, so for Starbound, we are currently limited to version 0.15.2 unless you want to use a very hacky macro to add the "properties" key to every object missing one...

Here's a link to the Github page for the release versions:

<Click Me>

Just scroll down until you find 0.15.2 and download it.

magewish4 likes this.
  3. Haaxor

Haaxor Big Damn Hero

Thanks, everything works now as should :)