NPC Tinker/Mechanic

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Compkraft Star, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Compkraft Star

Compkraft Star Void-Bound Voyager

Purpose
    This NPC would provide slight modifications to equipment in a random manor. My basic idea came from the NPC in Terraria which randomly re-enchanted weapons, ate all your money, and usually left you sad and broke. However this NPC will not siphon your wallet into a void, instead he will 'tinker' with your items, out of his own curiosity. With the players permission of course, the changes would be minor at first and perhaps grow later.

Implementation
    Unlike most generic NPC vendors or quest givers he will act more like a civilian researcher.
    After becoming acquainted with him you can give him items to 'tinker' or 'play' with.
    He will then move to a sort of workbench or some other setup and begin deep in work.
    At this time the Player could interrupt him and ask for the item back if they wished.
    He will work for some amount of game time, prompting the player to go do something else while they wait, I was thinking 5 to 10 mins.
    Upon return he will relay his results (what he says will depend on the changes and the item type)

IE - Slight improvement on a ranged gun type weapon
    " I polished it up and made it run a little smoother, but nothing to exciting"

He would also have chances of failing and damaging it slightly or discovering something big on rare occasion that improves his overall skill with that general item type.
    Also He would have a chance of modifying the way an item looks.
    Before hand he would ask you if you liked the way your weapon looked, there would be a few responses.

I like it, Not really, No, I hate it. For example.

He would then go tinker and based on your answer he would change the appearance of the item. If you say I like it he will just tinker normally with the stats. The different levels of negative answers would affect how much he changes it. IE not really would be small changes and hating it would prompt more of a remolding.

How you meet him or get him as an NPC I have no idea on, He could be found starving on a desolate planet or visit in his own personal ship while traveling the universe and decide to settle down. It would also be fun if he told the occasional joke or made a clever reference to something space or science related.

My opinion
    It is just an idea I came up with the other day, it would be creative and entirely optional for the player. People who like to take a little gamble will enjoy it and by keeping the changed minor it should not make one weapon dominate over many others. It also gives the player the option to try and change the way something looks, say they have a weapon they really like but just don't feel for it's look. They could have it changed in appearance randomly and try to get something more their style. I don't really want a forging or enhancing system that dominates the random weapon and item generation, as that is the star of weapons system. It would just be nice to have a little customizing on items. By the way, he should have more than one appearance, it would be odd for the same exact curious civilian to find himself in the presence of every player.
    I am no expert code writer or game designer I just had an idea and figured I would put it out there for everyone to see, I would like to see Starbound blossom into the greatest game it can be. I would appreciate your opinions on this idea. Also if you all of my post I would like to thank you.

Bombzero likes this.
  2. DNAY!

DNAY! Ketchup Robot

I love this idea!!!:up: Maybe you could give him items you don't need anymore, then he'll research them and learn from them. This could make his improvements better!

Compkraft Star likes this.
  3. Compkraft Star

Yes I had some similar ideas, like you could find rare artifacts on planets. He could then research them for more skill and also lore could be included about the artifact.

4. ChaoticGamer

ChaoticGamer Master Astronaut

one problem, we don't know who is originally owner the tinker from terraria or in other meaning "who made him", in that meaning we can't pull out someone's game character that fast, little nice trade that person would agree to if he is the maker of "tinker". Of course there is alternative ways it can goes in thoughts... (bubble)
    [​IMG]

hehehe....anyway, that is just evil mind, but there is in the other hand of...

[​IMG] mails.

Compkraft Star and matthijsieboy like this.
  5. Compkraft Star

I don't want to steal the character, the npc from Terraria just got me thinking and this is what I came up with. They should be no more alike then two different vendors from random games, sorry I did not specify on that, I posted at 1:30 am and I was defiantly half asleep. The whole idea of a npc with some ability to modify weapons has been in plenty of games.

6. ChaoticGamer

ChaoticGamer Master Astronaut

its the name we r kind of ...bit alternative word copy cat...which we couldn't call it tinker...Which in that little small part of law...dunno they r going make npc's name be illegal to copy right.

So we have to make alter the name if it couldn't be pass *grabbing list of names*

Names:
    Moddy
    Mr/Ms.Tinker?
    Mechanic
    and pretty much it I think of names

Compkraft Star likes this.
  7. PekingDuck

PekingDuck Void-Bound Voyager

While we've got a Tinker, why not a Tailor, Soldier and a Spy? /moviejokes

8. Compkraft Star

Oh, I didn't even realize that that is what the npc in Terraria was called, I have not played for awile. I was thinking he/she should have a randomly generated name and sprite so he/she is unique for everyone and every new character you make. Or perhaps it could be something like " *insert name* The Tinkerer" or " *insert name* The Mechanic". That would make him/she more identifiable, but still unique. I think Dr. Tinker sound pretty cool also, idk why though. Or maybe Tinker could be the last name and the first name could be generated and there could be a massive space Tinker family. I'm getting carried away so i'll stop there, thanks for the ideas!