Question To any Windows 10 users

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kashmir, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Kashmir

Kashmir Giant Laser Beams

I have been thinking of getting Windows 10. I only have until July 29th and then it's no longer free. But, I'm not sure it's any better. My son has it and he loves it. He also has a super gaming computer and it can handle it. Does anyone here have it and what do you think? My computer currently has 8.1, and although it's adequate, I don't know that it can handle it.
    It's a quad core with Pentium processors (i3 or i5 comparable), 4G RAM, 1TB hard drive. I don't know what the video card is.
    Would it be able to run my few games smoothly? I currently only have Starbound, Stardew, Don't Starve Together and Chuzzle (totally addicted to chuzzle)
    Any reviews of windows 10 would be appreciated, as I said, I'm running out of time to make a decision.

2. BitHorizon

BitHorizon Ketchup Robot

Windows 10 is significantly heavier unless you disable bloat features like Cortana, SmartScreen, etc. Also, it absolutely destroys battery life on laptops (I've used it on 3). However, some games can massively benefit in performance due to DirectX 12 being exclusive to Windows 10.

Kaede Grimwater and Kashmir like this.
  3. Kashmir

Thank you

4. Mort Faux

Mort Faux Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It's a windows OS, which means that generally it's fine after you beat it into proper shape a little bit. I've been running Win10 for a while, and while I keep having to hammer out things Microsoft turns back on from updates here and there, I dont really have many complaints about it. I love the new start menu, and as BitHorizon said, once you disable some of the bloatware, I find it runs fairly well, on my gaming laptop thingy.

In the long run, I dont think Win10 will be remembered as particularly good or bad, where Vista is notorious and XP is the good old favorite. It's really just another in the line of Microsoft OS, and I find that it does what it does well enough to not mind running it.

Kaede Grimwater likes this.
  5. Arthanen

Arthanen Void-Bound Voyager

I don't think you'd have any trouble running those games on a Windows 10. If you ever have frame issues you could either turn the in game graphics down or make the in game resolution lower.

6. Hadies237

Hadies237 Title Not Found

I haven't had any problems with 10 after clearing out some bloatware. It actually sped my old laptop up and helps it run smoother. I upgraded from 7 and on my desktop it runs really well too was on windows 8.1. 99% off all my games work only a handful (5) of my really really really old games don't work any more but I can run a vm for those. all my business software and design software works without any issues.

7. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

I am a bigger fan of 10 then 8.1
    Mostly because they made it easier to switch between desktop \ tablet mode.

Also Cortona.

8. Zair

Zair Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If you're on the fence about getting Windows 10, you can always run the upgrade, and then from inside Windows 10 tell it to revert back to whatever you had installed before, and Microsoft will still have a record of Windows 10 having been on that PC if you decide to install it again in the future. (It will automatically activate in that case.)

Standard disclaimer: the update is not supposed to do anything to user data, but if you are concerned about that being a problem back up your things first. Things can always go wrong and Microsoft itself even offers that bit of advice.

edit for more disclaimers: The downgrade/uninstall of Windows 10 is only an option for the first thirty days after installing it, after that Windows 10 removes all the OS files for the previous version from your hard drive. You also cannot have made any new local user accounts on the PC since then, if you have the downgrade will force you to remove them first.

9. JimmyJam22

JimmyJam22 Space Hobo

Im backing up my data right now to get ready to update to 10... I'm hoping it will fix my problems with Starbound and with my computer in general! Fingers crossed nothing breaks hehe

10. Kashmir

Thank you all. I think I've decided to keep 8.1. I'm not a big gamer and this computer is over a year old, so it's already obsolete. By the time 8.1 is no longer supported, all the new computers will have Windows 19 on them anyway.
    I wish we could all go back to XP, that was a decent OS. Every thing since has just sucked.

11. Zair

Zair Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hey, if it runs 8.1 it'll run 10 fine. Microsoft deliberately targeted the same requirements range as 7/8/8.1 when they were getting 10 ready.

My desktop was built a few years ago and runs 10 just fine, computer age isn't as big a deal as it used to be.

Windows 7 is still in my eyes the Greatest Windows of All Time for computers that don't require any features from later editions, though. :)

12. iron_phildo69

iron_phildo69 Void-Bound Voyager

If you're looking for some core facts rather than opinions on running windows 10 or 8.1:

1. The system requirements for windows 10 are the exact same as windows 7, contrary to belief windows 10 does not require more powerful hardware to run well. Windows 10 is just more "modern" in that it handles more powerful hardware better. (IE windows 7 does not natively support USB 3.0 without specific drivers)

Reference to specs for both:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10737/windows-7-system-requirements
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/windows/windows-10-specifications#sysreqs

2. Windows 8.1 and 10 mainly differ in the UI and features they offer, if you prefer one stick with it, but microsoft is trying VERY hard to push people to windows 10. Unless you can be bothered to actively block the windows 10 updates, just go windows 10.

3. On a more specific level with regards to starbound both run the game fine. In personal experience, so this IS subjective, the issues people commonly encounter with any game on windows 10 comes from the fact the "upgrade" options of windows 10 seems to hardly work well. In comparison to a clean install of 10 vs a upgrade I haven't seen the same level of issues vs the upgraded ones, often due to drivers and such being carried over or other software that just freaks out.

TLDR: Whatever OS you want, both have the same requirements.

Kashmir likes this.