Tomatos are fruit not vegetables

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by LadyKianna, Mar 2, 2016.

1. LadyKianna

LadyKianna Big Damn Hero

Tomatos are classified as vegetables, but they're not. They're fruit.

I do not want to make Tomato Pickles... I want to make Tomato Jelly (which would basically be ketchup I guess)

• LazerusKI

LazerusKI Phantasmal Quasar

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad^^

Adding a recipe for ketchup would be nice though, but i think its not just "jelly"

oath2order, LadyKianna and vekomov like this.
      • LadyKianna

LadyKianna Big Damn Hero

But you can make a tomato fruit salad. It's called salsa.
        Or there's also greek salad, (and it has cucumbers too which is another fruit a lot of people see as a vegetable)

• LazerusKI

LazerusKI Phantasmal Quasar

huh, cucumbers were new to me^^
          btw, i just googled
          http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...-blog/fruit-vegetable-difference/bgp-20056141
          so does it really matter if its description is fruit or vegetable? it tastes like a veg and we use it like one, so why should we call it a fruit?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
          • LadyKianna

LadyKianna Big Damn Hero

Because they -are- fruit. They are not technically fruit, they -are- fruit. We already have hot peppers in the game that are properly classified as fruit.

Also from a culinary standpoint: There are plenty of vegetables that are sweet, and they're still vegetables. Carrots are sweet, corn is sweet, pumpkins are sweet...
            Any one in the culinary industry will agree that tomatoes are fruit.

And to tackle this from another angle:
            If you have a cat that looks like a dog and acts like a dog... so why should we call it a cat?

<_< Why is my suggestion turning into a debate on whether tomatoes are actually fruit or not?

• annachibi

annachibi Phantasmal Quasar

Because this is something people haven't been able to agree on for a long time lol Also pumpkins ARE fruit (they have seeds). And so are some types of nuts. The Supreme Court had to decide whether a tomato was a fruit or vegetable back in 1893 for tax purposes, and ruled it was a vegetable due to common usage. It's a state vegetable for New Jersey. It's a state fruit for Ohio. Arkansas has it as the state fruit AND vegetable.

Basically what a tomato is classified as depends on its usage. Scientifically and botanically speaking, it is a fruit. Culinarily speaking, it is a vegetable. The real question is: Why does it matter?

LadyKianna likes this.
              • Ghostly Fox

Ghostly Fox Heliosphere

Just gonna say, pickled tomato sounds horrible. And I like tomatoes.

LadyKianna likes this.
                • TheSilentObserver

TheSilentObserver Big Damn Hero

It is a fruit, it should be labeled a fruit.

Nobody cares what it gets called from a culinary perspective, we're talking about what the programming of the game recognizes it as and displays to the user. I am a cook. I don't need to know what other cooks CALL a tomato in order to know what to serve it with or without. The recipes don't CARE what it gets called. The only area where this particular value seems to have any bearing is when it comes to certain artisan crafts like Jelly/Pickles and making wine. While I certainly wouldn't be the first to recommend making wine out of tomatoes, they can certainly be jellied... as the existence of Ketchup implies.

Why try to make such a feeble argument defending the calling of it a vegetable, when the fact remains that the only thing it would change in the realm of 'cooking' is whether or not it can be made into a jelly or a pickle?

LadyKianna likes this.
                  • annachibi

I wasn't making an argument defending the calling of it a vegetable, I was merely saying it's useless to try to persuade people to your viewpoint on either side of this because it's one of those things people will argue about over and over and over again until the end of time and never agree. And again, I ask: What does it matter? As it is, in the game tomatoes can be neither pickled nor jellied. But even then, if it were to be changed to be more realistic or whatever, tomatoes can be pickled (literally pickled, not fermented) or jellied (ketchup'd).

• TheSilentObserver

For the sake of making Ketchup a plausible item in game, of course.

I thought that was the end-goal of all this... ketchup for my future meat-burger?

• annachibi

Lol its classification hardly needs to be changed to add that in. I don't think the game makes any distinctions of whether a crop is a fruit or vegetable; it just checks to see if there's a relevant artisan product. Otherwise you would not be able to "pickle" fruits into wine.

• TheSilentObserver

Well, if it doesn't use the tag for anything... I guess I don't really care.

I just want ketchup, dammit. I read ketchup, and now I can't help but realize that I have cheese... and bread... and cows... but no mustard or ketchup.

I -will- have a Stardew Valley Cheeseburger... mark my words.

• annachibi

Ketchup would definitely be cool, maybe whoever takes up the task of making the butcher mod can include it! With option for pickles. I can't have a cheeseburger without pickles!

LadyKianna likes this.
                            • TheSilentObserver

Cucumbers aren't a thing in Stardew Valley, are they?

• annachibi

Omg you're right! I'd seen things about a Super Cucumber and assumed they were in the game but apparently that's a type of sea creature. Dang, we need cucumbers!

• PeanutButterCupquake

PeanutButterCupquake Void-Bound Voyager

Funny thing is, this argument actually appears in the game as a cutscene between Demetrius and Robin xD!

• TheSilentObserver

I would pickle those sea cucumbers something fierce...

... nothing stands between me and my burger!

• LadyKianna

LadyKianna Big Damn Hero

I wonder what a pickled sea cucumber would taste like... and if it would be good with tomato jelly.

• annachibi

Well then I'd definitely say it ain't changin' lol

• natelovesyou

natelovesyou Oxygen Tank

You're kinda right, but not totally right. Botanically/taxonomically tomatoes are fruits but culinarily (food usage) they are most certainly a "vegetable" due to their use and behavior. You'll rarely, or never, see a tomato used like other fruits such as melons, berries, bananas, or even avocados because of their taste. So it's fine where it is, let it be... or don't grow them if you have OCD about it. ;)