Tool: The Sampler

Discussion in 'Gear and Items' started by Mythril-Jelly, Jul 30, 2016.

?

Would something like this fit in game?

1. Yes! Let there be more decorations.

4 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No! I don't want that useless clutter, but would be fine with it being a mod.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No! This is a flat out bad idea.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Mythril-Jelly

Mythril-Jelly Scruffy Nerf-Herder

So one thing I've noticed is that I'll often run across something and think "Hey, this will be perfect for my base!" and it either drops nothing or breaks into dropped items. (Think Pots, bushes, traps, and breakables)

So I had an idea: The Sampler.

What this tool would do is double breaking time on an object, in exchange for dropping it as an item. You may find a huge bush in the jungle you just have to get for your newfound monster zoo and you would simply switch it on and harvest the object.(Carefully removing an object slowly!) Some other sandbox games have methods similar to this, an unnecessary yet fulfilling way to obtain items usually found only in natural generation: Silk Touch is a good example. This wouldn't interfere with regular breaking and at the same time would allow players to obtain these items. Currently the only ones we can get legitimately are the rare bottles in Hylotl crates.

Maybe even allow you to pick up a "Tree" type that lacks saplings, like a steam pipe, Orbide egg mounds, crystal tree, or large tentacle. Like other objects they would drop a plantable version of themselves rather than the normal drops. Heck, why not make different stone and dirt drop with it too while we're at it? They'd look great as pavement!

I could see it either functioning as a toggleable Matter Manipulator mode or as a separate entity like the Energy Pickaxe. I'm just hoping something like this could come around and expand the sandbox capabilities of vanilla Starbound without needing console commands or mods to make a nice looking base.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  2. Lemurboy07

Lemurboy07 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I would love if the rare bottles could be crafted with something to make them unbreakable

Mythril-Jelly likes this.