Top 10 old games

Discussion in 'Games' started by Tedwin-knockman66, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Tedwin-knockman66

Tedwin-knockman66 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

A my small collection of old good games what i was played.
    You can add your Top 10 old games here.

10. Red faction (Volition, Inc. 2001)
    9. Platypus (Anthony Flack 2002)
    8. Neighbours from hell (JoWooD Studio Vienna 2003)
    7. Il-2 Sturmovik (1C: Maddox Games 2001)
    6. Hard truck 2: King of the road (Softlab NSK 2001)
    5. Battlefield vietnam (DICE 2004)
    4. Armed and dangerous (Planetmoon studios 2003)
    3. Serious sam (Croteam 2001)
    2. Unreal (Epic games 1998)
    1. A.I.M/Mechaminds (Skyriver studios 2004)

HunterC1998 likes this.
  2. Hossain

Hossain Space Hobo

1. Ms Pac-Man
    2. Day of the Tentacle
    3. GTA
    4. Virtual Cop
    5. Pokémon Gold and Silver
    6. Streets of Rage 2

3. GeekBoy

GeekBoy Subatomic Cosmonaut

1. GTA 3
    2. Pokemon (on the nintendoDS)
    3. Super Mario 63

4. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Classifying 'old' as being over 10 years old;

1. Thief II: The Metal Age
    2. Thief: Deadly Shadows
    3. Deus Ex
    4. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
    5. Command & Conquer: Generals
    6. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
    7. The Sims
    8. Freelancer
    9. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords
    10. Age of Empires

5. Inf_Wolf14

Inf_Wolf14 Parsec Taste Tester

1. Cave Story
    2. Metal Gear
    4. Heart of Darkness
    4. Pokemon Emerald
    5. Luigi's Mansion
    6. F-Zero
    7. Advance Wars
    8. Super Smash Bros 64
    9. Fire Emblem
    10. Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

Don't quote my order. I did more of a list cause I'm too tired to organize an accurate ranking atm.

6. Larielia

Larielia Subatomic Cosmonaut

1. Legend of Zelda- Ocarina of Time (1998)
    2. Golden Sun/ The Lost Age (2001/ 2003)
    3. Fire Emblem/ The Sacred Stones (2003/ 2005)
    4. Harvest Moon- Friends of Mineral Town/ More Friends of Mineral Town (2003/ 2005)

7. alextulinov

alextulinov Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Not in any order 1.fallout 1&2 2.pokemon yellow 3.contra on the NES 4.oblivion 5.idk

8. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Oh wow..... just too many to list, really.

I'm a huge retro gamer, with lots of console J-RPGs from the SNES, PSX, and PS2 eras in my history (most of which I loved, a lot), I dunno if I could really list em or not. And then there's the Metroid Prime series... was that 10+ years ago? I can't remember. The first two MP games kicked serious butt, as did Starfox Adventures.

Now, if you wanna talk PC gaming, well... uh... PC gaming was kinda "eh" at first... there were games, but they weren't huge on my list.

Oblivion was up there, as was Diablo 2. A lot of these games I discovered later, so I'm not entirely aware of what year exactly these things came to be. Also, Sim City 2k3 (SC4 was a total mess IMO; the thing CTDs too often to actually play it for any length of time).

I remember playing SC2k for quite awhile, both on SNES and then later on PC (I once had a map with so many arcos that my computer could not handle it, lol).

uh.

What else?

I played a lot of Baldur's Gate, BG2, and Icewind Dale back in the day. IWD was my favorite; I hated how slow the BG games were until you actually got strong enough to hurt a fly while IWD had a much better pacing. That and I min-maxed all of my characters so I didn't have weaklings with Sub-15 scores in important stats; couldn't do that in BG because you were forced to take already made characters (c'mon, if you wanted Jahiera, you were forced to take her weakling husband who was a fighter with the 15 str and 9 con IIRC, lol).

I'd say, though, in terms of hours played... Diablo 2 was probably the king of computer games before I got into MMOs with Final Fantasy XI.

FFXI.....

Dear Lord, I spent way way WAY too many hours in FFXI. Far too many. Tens of thousands of hours over several years.

Then came WoW, and I had a screenshot once of Armory displaying every character and their /played and the count gets into the thousands of hours. I wonder if I still have that screenshot...

YES, I do have it!

hoursplayed.jpg

That's from March 2014. I quit the game in March 2015, a year later.

So, if you add all the hours up...

414 Days (which is 9936 hours) + 297 = 10233.

Hah. I was right, like 10k hours wasted on that game. 426 and a third days which is over a year straight of playing, lol. That's not including the time from March 14 to March 15 (I admittedly did not play a lot during Summer '14 because of that long stretch of waiting for Warlords, and Mid-to-Late Feb I started slacking off, only logging on for a few minutes a day to do the FarmVille like tasks that they implemented. But still. You get the idea.

Was it the "best game"? Meh.

It sure isn't now; they ruined it.

9. Marinebeast

Marinebeast Existential Complex

I personally see "old" games as being N64-era or earlier, myself!
    But that'd cut down the list a good bit, so let's just say that a decade is old.

1. EarthBound (SNES, 1995)
    2. Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword (GBA, 2003)
    3. Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards (N64, 2000)
    4. Kirby's Dream Land 3 (SNES, mid-1990s)
    5. Pokemon Crystal (GBC, 1999-ish)
    6. Cave Story (PC, 2004ish)
    7. Golden Sun: The Lost Age (GBA, 2003)
    8. Starfox 64 (N64, 1998)
    9. Tales of Symphonia (GCN, 2003)
    10. Earthbound Zero / Beginnings (NES, 1989)

In no particular order, this is just the order I thought of them in.
    Smash Bros. Melee gets an honorable mention for being highly nostalgic and rooted in my childhood, but I like all of the games on the list better.

(I think Mother 3 was released in 2006, so it qualifies, but there's already the first two games on this list...)

10. Mjollna

Mjollna Phantasmal Quasar

Oh my, Wow does qualify for "old game" now, it was released more than 10 years ago o_O *suddenly feels a lot older*

My attempt at a top 10 favorite/spent a lot of time playing games :

- Kyrandia 1
    - Sonic 2 (the Megadrive/Genesis one)
    - Puggsy
    - Rainbow Islands
    - Maupiti Island (Atari ST)
    - Ecco the Dolphin (1st one on MD)
    - Skweek (on Atari ST)
    - FF VII
    - Wow
    - The minesweeper (yes, this http://www.minesweeper.info/ )

There's no order either in my list, some of the games are so different that I don't think they can even be compared. It was heartbreaking to choose between Bubble Bobble and Rainbow Islands in the list.

11. Brassqund

Brassqund Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

(not in order and I probably forget a lot of them :p)
    - Half-Life
    - Chrono trigger
    - Diablo II (with or without LOD extension)
    - Half-Life (so many memories)
    - Urban Assault (1998. My first computer game... if you ignore the comodore 64 I had :p)
    - Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time
    - Legend of Zelda - Majora's Mask
    - Starfox 64 (My first game on Nintendo 64)
    - Sonic the Hedgehog 2, 3 and "Sonic and Knuckles" (that one is special, you can put an other sonic (2 or 3) in it... to combine the two games)

Now when I see a Sonic game I close my eyes and walk away. ...

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  12. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Yeah, sadly Square/Square-Enix had something awesome going with this, but they had to try to re-invent the wheel when it came to Chrono Cross. I think CC would have done better if they had stuck to CT's formula.

Without the LOD expansion, it's far too short and easy.

I played a little of this, but sadly I must have had a faulty memory pack because it kept crashing on me.

Meh, I could never see what was so great about Sonic in the first place but that's just me I guess, lol. I had the game gear sonic and I tried it and I was like "what do people find so great about this game?"

I'll tell you what I thought was awesome though: Ecco the Dolphin. The problem is, is that they had those way too cheap air tube levels and also the auto-scroll levels. Take those out and you'd have a near flawless game.

13. TheNextDecade

TheNextDecade Phantasmal Quasar

Hokay, here I go...
    • Space Rangers 2 (still my topmost favorite game of all time and space, and I still play it sometimes)
    • The original Spyro trilogy
    • The original Crash Bandicoot trilogy + Team Racing
    • KKND (that one RTS on PS1)
    • G-Police (I have no idea why, but I just loved it)
    • Civilization 2 (I think that my parents still hear that Civ 2 theme music)
    • Space Colony
    • Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
    • Planetside 1
    • Lego Rock Raiders

14. Mjollna

Mjollna Phantasmal Quasar

Speaking of Sonic, for the people who liked the Megadrive opus 2 & 3, there's Freedom Planet which is, imho, a very cool game in the same vein. It gives the feeling of what Sonic should have looked like if they hadn't done mostly crap with the license. Cool story, great level design, very nice graphics. It can't qualify as old game yet, though :)

I see Civ 2 in TheNextDecade's list (good choice, it's indeed a cool game). Speaking of strategy/simulation games, there's also the Sim City series and especially the 2000 one where I've spent a *lot* of time.

For Ecco, I'd qualify the auto-scroll levels as "way too hard" actually :D I think everyone who has played the game has been traumatized by Welcome to the Machine.

15. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Freedom Planet is awesome, though it does have a couple annoying parts... like that stupid fight against the lady with the spear. Nnnngh, so annoying. But yeah, the game itself is awesome, one of the better indie games around.

While I don't care for Sonic much, this game is OK because it doesn't have that stupid 2-hits-you're-dead mechanic... you can actually get hit more than twice and not die (unless of course we're talking about the general's OP knife attack, but meh).

16. GeekBoy

GeekBoy Subatomic Cosmonaut

You can get Nox on origin for free right now! \(* o*)/

Tedwin-knockman66 likes this.
  17. Lil' Mini

Lil' Mini Phantasmal Quasar

1: Super Mario Bros. 3, especially the version that came out with super mario all-stars.

2: TimeSplitters: Future perfect (don't know if 2005 is old enough, I'll otherwise just put in TimeSplitters 2 here that was made in 2002 instead.)

3: Half-life and its expansions, such awesome!

4: Jedi Knight dark forces II, a rpg-ish Star Wars game where you can become good or evil (therefore, there's also two separate endings) AND you get to play around with guns! What's not to like?

5: The Legend of Zelda; A link to the past, an all time favourite of mine.

6: Chrono Trigger, time travel, the possible end of the world and many different endings!

7: Warcraft III, AND IT'S STILL GOING STRONG BABY!

8: Age of Empires II, old, but most certainly gold

9: Heroes of Might and Magic III, actually prefer the 5th one, but I feel like it's too new.

10: Pokemon Gold, the first and second generation of pokemon is the best.

Tedwin-knockman66 likes this.
  18. Crystan

Crystan Maverick Hunter

1. Mega Man X4
    2. Turrican 2
    3. Command and Conquer: Tiberian Dawn
    4. Half-Life
    5. Dune 2
    7. Diablo 1
    8. Master of Orion 2
    9. Morrowind
    10. Freespace 2