1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Total Cloud Failure

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Dragonian994, Dec 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Dragonian994

Dragonian994 Aquatic Astronaut

Okay, so, I've posted stuff before about just SUDDENLY losing characters, which turned out
    to be irrevocable. I never got back the original character I had lost, because I simply lost
    the stored player/shipworld/universe files, so I made a new character. And guess what
    happened? One day, I just try and run the game, and it claims that my cloud can't be
    accessed or something of that caliber, and then, after FINALLY making it so that the
    game could at least start, the character's assets were erased from the file completely.
    I checked storage and found nothing, and then I realized that I had absolutely NO Giraffe
    Storage File! I even ran a cache verification check, and it CLAIMED nothing was wrong! Is
    it just me, or does the Giraffe file exist even when a character doesn't register? I don't know
    if I screwed something up, but all I did was clear the download cache and then re-install the
    game after deleting local files, and, even though I deleted the files, that doesn't delete the
    ACTUAL files, it just ceases to register them on Steam, right? Or am I just totally wrong, in
    which case, I promptly apologize ahead of time. But is there even a way to reverse cloud
    problems? And if so, what is the process? Or is it just, simply, impossible? I really liked this
    character, too! He had great gear, a great ship, and was in the process of building a HUGE
    intergalactic museum! Please, is there any way to do anything about this?

2. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

Starbound uses the storage file. Also steam cloud is not used by starbound. Using any other cloud by installing it into a cloud folder is at your own risk since it can delete certain files when the sync failes or goes wrong.

~ Iris ~

3. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

Yep, what Iris said, the storage folder is where Starbound keeps your files, not the giraffe folder (except in old versions of the game). You mentioned he was building a museum. The museum should still be there, because it's a part of your universe files. If you have the coordinates to it, you can get back to it.