Modding Help Town Map Edit

Discussion in 'Mods' started by ToastedOreos, Aug 24, 2019.

1. ToastedOreos

ToastedOreos Void-Bound Voyager

I'm trying to figure out how to add a custom tilesheet of like just a single house to the town map. i've unpacked the town.xnb and been using tiled to make it look how i like it.

The problem seems to be that adding another tileset to the tbin file means having to figure out how to
    a) put the new custom tileset into the content folders (which im lost on how)
    b) figure out how to code it so its a mod with smapi (which i know 0 code so again lost),
    or c) my latest attempt was to just add the house i want onto the bottom of the town tileset. which seems to crash the game saying [[Error loading "Maps\spring_outdoorsTileSheet.png". File not found. ]] which is weird cuz thats not even the file i edited??? it was the spring/summer/fall/winter_town png that i changed.

edits i make to the town.xnb seem to save fine, but when i add a new tileset or change the tileset it's using from the vanilla to my edited one it seems to crash or fail to load the tiles.

lost and confused any help welcome, i just wanna make a house for an npc. alternative suggestions on how to do so would be welcome

• Moragaine

Moragaine Existential Complex

@ToastedOreos Since you're adding a new npc, along with his house, you will be better off adding a new small area rather than trying to edit a vanilla map. This is the suggested method to do it, since npc's spawned on custom maps don't damage saves file when the mod is removed. Addin a new area with TMXLoader is also fairly easy; you could probably have the entrance on the town map, too. I suggest you look at TrentXV's maps and npc's for examples. If you decide to go forward with your idea, you can also join the SdV discord server and ask for assistance in the #modding channel.

• ToastedOreos

ToastedOreos Void-Bound Voyager

@Moragaine thanks for the speedy reply! i'll give what you suggested a shot!