Town Quests/Reputation System

Discussion in 'Side Quests' started by H0PELESS, Jun 17, 2016.

?

Should this be included in 1.0/future updates

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Maybe

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. You wasted 45 minutes of your life on this thread

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. H0PELESS

H0PELESS Void-Bound Voyager

In Starbound, when you tear apart a town or kill all residents or maybe even both, you just get away with it. I think that there should be some kind of beacon at the middle of the town. Maybe there would be guards stationed all around it. If you destroy anything they would send a message to all others of that race saying to watch out for you and your reputation would go down with that race. But if you killed people, your reputation would plummet dramatically and you would be shot on sight. But say if you bought a lot of stuff from merchants then they would send a message and you could buy stuff for a little less from that race and your reputation would increase. If you completed a quest then they would send a message saying that you can do quests and you'll get; more quests, better rewards and lots of good reputation. But, if you kill all the guards before they can send the message then you'll be fine with that race.
    If you get max reputation for ONLY your race then you would become - for example - a Glitch lord or a Novakid sheriff. These titles would mostly just be bragging rights and there would be a crown for a glitch lord and a sheriff badge etc. But these titles would also mean when you made a colony, it would give you a choice if you wanted one of your own race or a random. You would also get cheaper prices at your race's merchants. Remember you can only become a prominent figure in your own race, for all other races you just get high reputation and all the benefits that come with that.
    TOWN QUESTS
    Now, to mix in with the reputation system, Town quests. They can be things like find me a pineapple or find me a paper plane. Completing these would earn you lots of reputation and they would reward you with normal things depending on the difficulty of the quests. There could be race specific quests like get a flower for a Floran or a fish for a Hylotl.
    Thank you for reading.

2. Ludovic

Ludovic Giant Laser Beams

Been reading the whole post and while a more global reputation system could be VERY interesting I do believe it'll sadly outside the scope of 1.0. Maybe for later but otherwise I don't know. There's also the matter a lot of the different settlements are themselves somewhat insulated from each others due to the distance across the stars.

Also while this itself may have a potential of it's own, there's also the matter of "At which point does this become nothing more than World of Warcraft's faction reputation systems? Should we had grind-inducing "Daily quests" as well?". It might have it's adherant, but part of Starbound's appeal IS the fact it also remain so casual even with the more complex gameplay elements it has introduced.

This said... within NPC settlements themselves the guards DO start reacting now when you don't just hurt NPCs but also when you dismantle their home or are spotted one time too many stealing items from containers. A way of alleviating that is the new "examine" feature that now replaces the old "scan" function of the now later-tiered pixel printer... meaning that any items you have examined in the past that can be pixel printer will now be actually unlocked just by examining them on the field(if I recall well what I heard).
    Stuff you can craft yourself or buy from merchants still need to be aquired those ways generally, though.

3. H0PELESS

H0PELESS Void-Bound Voyager

Yeah I see where you're coming from. Starbound does have that casual feel and this would change that quite a lot. Now that I think about it I wouldn't like this system in the game cause I need to take all their decorations!