1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Bug/Issue Trees don't drop seeds on certain days

Discussion in 'Support' started by zrn, Apr 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. zrn

zrn Yeah, You!

Once every week or so, I'll go to chop down some oak, pine, and maple trees and seeds won't drop. This only happens every so often. On other days I'll get anywhere from 0 to 2 seeds per tree, and on these rare days I won't get a single seed. I'm not sure if there's something like luck, foraging skill or weather that influences seed drops, but what I'm talking about is way outside of chance. I'll cut down 10+ trees and get 0 seeds, where any other day I would get 10-20 seeds. Anyone else having this issue?

• zrn

zrn Yeah, You!

Is this even a bug? Has this ever happened to anyone else's game? If you could buy maple / pine / oak seeds then this wouldn't even be a problem, but deciding to clear my farm on a day when the game decides seeds don't exist means I can't replant. When a decent chunk of the game is built around the concept of organizing your farm how you like, chopping down trees for wood, tapping certain trees for goods, etc, it makes this issue I'm having pretty annoying.

• Nurio

Nurio Cosmic Narwhal

I know for certain that some days just seem like no seeds will drop, though I didn't do any objective testing

zrn likes this.
        • Arqane

Arqane Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I've had this happen more often with seeds in the ground, and can usually replicate it. If I cut down a tree, then try and dig up a seed next to it, the seed won't show up, and trying to dig up any seeds for the rest of the day results in nothing.

So I'm pretty sure the bug has something to do with pointers/events. The problem usually shows up when I dig up, say, a maple seed next to a maple tree I just chopped down. I'm guessing there's a pointer tying that seed to that tree that dropped it (guessing it's also only when the seed is dropped that same day from that tree). Once you cut down the tree, you break that pointer and every other one until the end of the day (or you reload).

There may be a similar problem with seeds from cutting down trees. I've noticed the problem happens most often to me (or at least notice it) on rainy days. So I could just be imagining it, and it might be built in to the game that seeds shouldn't be harvested on rainy days. But, I think it's an actual bug, and I just happen to chop a lot on rainy days :).

zrn and Nurio like this.
          • zrn

zrn Yeah, You!

Exactly, Arqane. I've noticed it happens frequently on rainy days, but I can also confirm it can happen on normal sunny days. I made this thread mostly just to confirm I wasn't crazy :p Maybe I'll just edit in a bunch of each kind of tree seed and forget this bug exists? Now I just have to figure out how to cheat in 999 of each seed.

• Arqane

Arqane Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It's infrequent enough for me that I haven't had a serious problem with seeds. After getting the problem a few times, I noticed that if seeds simply don't show up once like they should, then they won't for the rest of the day... so I just stop (if it's really that important, I reload). Usually I'll waste 2-3 seeds every once in a while when it happens and I just shrug it off.

But if you really had a full day and knocked down all your trees, which can be *really* fast with an iridium axe, and got no seeds then I'd just edit them in if it saved that day already. That's unlikely to happen to most people, but it definitely could if someone's pack is fairly full and they have that iridium axe to clear out their farm. I do usually have a day like that, but by that point I've got plenty of seeds stored anyway.

• Sutremaine

Sutremaine Subatomic Cosmonaut

I've noticed it happen sometimes, mostly early on when I need to selectively chop tree species for Field Snacks. I thought it was the RNG.

• zrn

zrn Yeah, You!

User Gandolfthefarmer made this post about a week ago: http://community.playstarbound.com/...causing-trees-to-no-longer-drop-seeds.113897/
                  He says that it happens when your foraging skill levels up during the day, and until you sleep at night to gain that level, the game acts as though you had 0 foraging skill so you don't get any tree seed drops. That makes a lot of sense and is consistent with my experience. I'm glad this mystery was solved and hope it gets fixed kinda soon. Thanks gandolf!