Turn timers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Andreas5524, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Andreas5524

Andreas5524 Void-Bound Voyager

Are there going to be turn timers in the game? This will force you to think quickly and think during your opponent's turn.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
    • Chizuru Minamoto

Chizuru Minamoto Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'd like that, but considering they went with making the game asynchronous (Players can stop playing and start playing their turn whenever they want, and you can play multiple games at once, which I hate given my past experience with it), I'm tempted to say it wont be in the game? Or if it is, wont be on by default at least.

• Miinow

Miinow Void-Bound Voyager

Asynchronous multiplayer is definitely the way to go when turns and/or games last for long. Last stream the developers were unable to finish one game in two hours. Okay, they did chitchat, but on the other hand the map wasn't very big or the game too tight. Two equal players could easily use 5-6 hours on a large map without even thinking too much. 90 seconds pass very quickly if you got 20-30 units to move. Even one battle animation takes around 10 seconds.

I understand that maybe some players would like to play smaller maps with short time control and perhaps this should be an option. Longer time control, lets say 24 hours, enables players to play longer and more complicated maps without having to plan their time too much ahead. Also having multiple open games makes it possible to play another open game while waiting. In the end it doesn't matter what your opponent does on his turn - only the outcome matters. It gets booring really quickly spending half of your in game time just watching your enemy slowly moving his units.

• Chizuru Minamoto

Chizuru Minamoto Subatomic Cosmonaut

Asynchronous is great to play with friends. Not with random people.
          My issue with it is, I've had countless players not finishing their games until you'd give up because you have a limited amount of possible games, or people who are online, you play a few rounds, then they go play on another match, and just leaves entirely for a day, when we were playing litterally right then, he didn't even warn he was leaving or anything... So yeah, no, I don't like it, I've had enough of that.

As for animations slowing down the game, do like Advance Wars, disable them.

Colony likes this.
          • Hattori_Hanzo

Hattori_Hanzo Aquatic Astronaut

Maybe some formula for turn timing like 30 seconds (base) + 10 seconds per unit or something. There's no way to really make it perfect but you could make it a little intelligently adjustable. Also maybe some % that could roll over to the next turn if unused to account for sometimes you know exactly what you want to do but sometimes you need a little extra time to plan.