1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Tutorial: How to edit entire space station

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by NiamhNyx, Jun 10, 2017.

1. NiamhNyx

NiamhNyx Phantasmal Quasar

I decided to put this little tutorial together because not many people probably know you can edit pretty much everything about your space station. It just requires knowing what to do.

The walls and the space outside are both protected.

ID 0 Protected.png
    ID 65524 Protected.png

You have to disable the tile protection to get past this limitation.

To do this, you must be in Admin mode, their is no other way. Once you have Admin privileges, open the Debug menu.
    /admin
    /debug

Step 1 - AdminDebug.png

Once you have the debug menu up look for the dungeon ID of the protected tiles.

Step 2 - ID 0.png
    Step 2 - ID 65524.png

The IDs 0 and 65524 are the only two you need to worry about as they are the only two that are protected in the space station world. To disable the tile protection use the command
    /settileprotection (ID) false
    to re-enable it
    /settileprotection (ID) true.

Step 3 - Disable Tile Protection.png

After you have put in the commands and disabled the tile protection you should be able to break the walls and fill in the space.

Tile Protection Off.png

Now before you go all crazy and try to remove the nodes you misplaced, let me show you something.

Background.png

Yes, you see that correctly, the nodes have a flipping back ground. I have not tested how the backgrounds effect gravity, nor will I because I do not feel like breaking down an entire large core only to rebuild it because I need it.

I have tested gravity in the areas you can now make with Tile Protection off.

No Gravity.png

When you first box off the room you will have 0 gravity in that room but as long as you have background tiles level with the top half of your body, their will be gravity below you, not above you until you fill it in more.

Still No Gravity.png
    Tiles not level with the top half of the character does not give you gravity.

Gravity.png
    Tiles level with the top half, (MUST BE two TILES) adds gravity that extends down two tiles. Any open space above once the top half of your body hits will have no gravity until the requirements are met.

Quick tip for those who do not have a rocket spear. You CAN aerial dash in space.

Can use Air Dash in space.png

itison, TheFloranChef, niton and 2 others like this.
  2. tehcavy

tehcavy Ketchup Robot

Background has gravity on entirety of it. Also an important addition is that space where you placed blocks and then removed them (doesn't matter whenether you placed them on the foreground or on background) has gravity. And I have already put together a mod if you don't want to go through the motions for each station: Freeform Stations

MysticMalevolence likes this.
  3. NiamhNyx

Ahh, sadly placing the nodes does have a huge advantage for me since my build is very large. 4 large cores in height and 6 in length. It would have saved me the problem of erasing some of the outside bumps but i already took care of all that.
    To bad the gravity stays after you place the blocks though.
    I also wonder why CF locked the tiles. I mean really did they think we were just going to let that fly?

4. tehcavy

tehcavy Ketchup Robot

Of course not. Their fault for turning asteroid biome into crapsack. Albeit this might have been a response to all those bugs we've just found - no block changing, no problems.
    The gravity (or lack thereof) is governed by a certain block. I can't tell it's ID since Tiled is being an ass, but when you place blocks it is replaced by block you installed, and when you remove blocks it doesn't come back.

5. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Once you've figured out what that is, please tell us, because that'd probably be one of the best things to happen in Starbound for modders.

6. NiamhNyx

So essentially, if we figured it out, we could have 0 gravity where ever we wanted?

7. tehcavy

tehcavy Ketchup Robot

Maybe? Probably? I can't tell for sure, at least now. All I know is that when I view space dungeon maps in Tiled, everything is filled with some sort of purple block, which while usually denotes that this part should be generated as generic terrain (as in, the rest of the world) works in space as I've described, and is actually one of the technical blocks invented for use with Tiled (other examples are Player Spawn block and connectors used to build multiroom dungeons)

8. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

Just looked at one (mech assembly room). The purple block is the background, but the "zero-g block" (Tiled's words) is actually a foreground block (and is denoted by a transparent block with a "G" on it, with a blue border if protected)
    I've yet to locate the block in the files, though, as it doesn't appear to have the same name.

9. NiamhNyx

I'm going to start searching for that blocks ID, If you happen to find it can you please tell me? I could use them for a build.

I love how this went from me explaining how to get around the protected blocks to customize your space station to us trying to find this one block. lol

10. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

To be fair, if we can find this block, we could potentially make any area we want zero-g, so if you want a zero-g chamber for your space station while still having the rest of the station have gravity, this is kinda important.

11. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

Hey, so if this block governs what areas don't have gravity, what governs the sections of instances such as hostile ships that do have gravity? Or is that done by a completely different mechanism?

UPDATE: I went to a friendly ship and snooped around with /debug, and I found that the area outside of the ship (in zero-g) has a dungeon id of 65524, while the ship itself has a dungeon ID of 0. Could that be how the docking fields work? Or, maybe the area outside the ship is just filled with those invisible zero-g blocks?

UPDATE 2: Nevermind, the empty areas outside of the docking field are just filled with zero-g markers, like the marker used for where players beam down to a planet. There's also a similar marker for breathable areas inside the dungeon, so I guess if anybody wants to build with these properties, they'll probably have to use Tiled. These are all in /Starbound/assets/packed/tilesets/packed/miscellaneous.json, for whoever is interested in taking a look.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  12. Shadox2.0

Shadox2.0 Spaceman Spiff

You can also try the UnlockedStation mod

Also i've find that :

But you'll lose the expansion door if doing that.

13. NiamhNyx

I use the nodes as a base to form around. The expansion doors going away is something I figured out long ago.
    Also all I was doing was giving a tutorial on how to do this. I have really no need for the extra mods.

14. XFactor

XFactor Orbital Explorer

Theres already a thing for 0 gravity everywhere. Its the Gravity thingy...

15. Mr.PotatoFlip

Mr.PotatoFlip Void-Bound Voyager

You can remove the background image with a command /entityeval object.smash() I saw this on a reddit post and it says that when you use this command it removes the expansion nodes. But I think you can spawn that item then place it back(I'm not really sure).

16. Mr.PotatoFlip

Mr.PotatoFlip Void-Bound Voyager

• Most/all space station tiles have background images in addition to their usual layers. You can remove them with commands. Remove blocks from the foreground and background block layers to expose the background image, then hover your cursor over the exposed background image and use the command /entityeval object.smash(). It should drop the background object as an item, which can be put back into place (anywhere) by hand. This can also remove the expansion ports, but beware that those don't drop an item and are harder to replace in any event.

17. NeoslayerX

NeoslayerX Big Damn Hero

What are nodes?

18. JackAfrica

JackAfrica Orbital Explorer

If you changed that specific node wouldn’t it change all of the protected objects like mission walls and block as well as obstacles?

19. KingDragonMage

KingDragonMage Void-Bound Voyager

when i try to use this command all it does is allow me to change a partial bit of my station(the 1st core) then it shuts off, how can i edit my E N T I R E station?

20. EliOatmeal

EliOatmeal Intergalactic Tourist

Is it possible to delete docking fields? I misplaced a node and now i can't get rid of the extra docking bay.