1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED v1.0|Any Biome, Any Time|See all the biomes without having to advance sectors!

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Iamgoofball, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Iamgoofball

Iamgoofball Scruffy Nerf-Herder

As of now, to see most the biomes in the game, you have to advance to the fourth sector. Due to how hard the bosses are, most have not made it to the third sector, and very few to the fourth sector.

So I created this:

Any Biome, Any Time|v1.0
    This mod makes it so that any of the biomes in the game can spawn in any of the sectors. The only difference the sectors have is in Threat Levels. For example, with this mod, you can get to a Volcanic Biome in the Alpha Sector. Without this mod, Volcanic sectors are restricted to Sector 3 and higher.

Q: What does this do in short?
    Any and all biomes can now occur in all the sectors.
    Q: How do I install this?
    First, download the .zip file.
    Then, put the celestial.config file into this folder:
    Steam/steamapps/common/Starbound/assets
    Then, turn on the game and start a new character.
    Q: Will this effect my current characters?
    No, it will not. You will need to start a new character.
    Q: Can I host a server with this mod?
    At the moment, it seems to cause some crashes when used on a server. Sorry!

Download link: https://www.mediafire.com/?hkx5kumfb4dag9r

Please leave feedback. Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
    yk999 and Svarr Chanston like this.
  2. Cheridan

Cheridan Void-Bound Voyager

Cool mod.

This should be the default behavior, as far as I'm concerned. Locking away planet types like this reduces the variety you see early on, and doesn't make very much sense realistically.
    While a volcanic planet may be harsh for a new player, they have the option of simply not going there.

Interesting to note that Ocean biome doesn't appear in the default files at all.

3. Raindrac

Raindrac Existential Complex

Very simple, very good. I don't see why it isn't already this way. I mean really, why are savannahs, oceans and jungles high tiered planets anyway?

Svarr Chanston likes this.
  4. Gene

Gene Phantasmal Quasar

It is just me or Ocean planets were not available in vanilla config file at _any_ threat level? Could they not yet be implemented in game?

5. Monomer

Monomer 2.7182818284590...

I tried this mod out and while it worked in single-player, it seems modifying the celestial.config file and then trying to host a server throws a stack exception; has anyone confirmed that you can use this mod and also host a server?

6. Iamgoofball

Hm, I have not tried to host a server yet using this mod. I'll go ahead and add that to the Q&A.

7. Monomer

Monomer 2.7182818284590...

So I did some further testing tonight; the crash I was seeing seems to be unrelated to universe and world gen. Not sure why modifying celestial.config caused it to appear, but it was alleviated when I opened starbound.config and set UPnP port forwarding to false (this fix is also being described here http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/possible-access-violation-fix.34576/)

So I was able to modify which planet types appear in which tiers, and launch the server, and have my friend and myself both connect. The result was pretty interesting; in the galaxy map, I found a planet in Alpha sector that was a Jungle (not normally possibly in vanilla) and traveled to it. My friend beamed to my ship and opened the galaxy map, and the very same planet was listed as Forest to him. However, when we both beamed down to the surface, it was a Jungle planet for both of us. So it appears the world itself is saved by the server, in this case, but the galaxy map is client-side.

Anywho, your mod does indeed still work with servers; thanks for the info!

8. Svarr Chanston

Svarr Chanston Cosmic Narwhal

I was planning on editing my files to do just this, you saved me the trouble! Thanks! :D

Now i can like, start out on a tentacle planet or something like i always wanted to... no reason why. >.>

9. InsanityCow

InsanityCow Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This needs an update

There is a huge problem with it atm (it uses the 100 level planets on a system with a max level of 10, resulting in weapons of absolutely ludicrous power, as well as higher level planets with literally too much ore)
    I have a rocket launcher from a high level planet that deals 4000 damage and has 2000 dps, and yet it takes several shots to kill monsters from a level 10 planet :(

[​IMG]
    This is one of the less saturated spots

10. Iamgoofball

Oh god, I gotta update it for the new system.

Thank you for informing me.

11. Notso

Notso Industrial Terraformer

Very cool. Does it work with the new system yet?

12. Firestar102

Firestar102 Intergalactic Tourist

I can't seem to find the Steam/steamapps/common/Starbound/assets file, someone please help

13. Iamgoofball

It should be in Program Files, or Program Files(x86)

14. Jlblair

Jlblair Orbital Explorer

What do the ocean worlds look like on this mod? I'm hoping vastly deep oceans I can build rapture in? :p